Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #106
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That makes me at least want to see it. I went ahead and pre-ordered figuring I can always cancel depending on other early reviews (if there are any) or send it back like I did with the first PW.
I'm thinking the same. I'm waiting for an option to pre-order the 3G.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #107
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks for the link.

Since I don't have the original PW (I sent mine back) I'm intrigued to check this one out, although still hoping for some more reviews and maybe some hands on videos.
Here's another good quote from the Times article (another thanks for the link)… I'm intrigued:

Amazon says that it’s pretty much eliminated that visual faux pas in the new Paperwhite, and indeed, I couldn’t detect any unevenness when I checked the e-reader out. The Paperwhite uses a new version of the E Ink technology, exclusive to Amazon, with 25 percent better contrast. The unsightly flashing effect when you flip the page happens only rarely, as long as it’s a text-only book — maybe as rarely as once per chapter, according to Amazon.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #108
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Amazon says that it’s pretty much eliminated that visual faux pas in the new Paperwhite, and indeed, I couldn’t detect any unevenness when I checked the e-reader out.
A very bright light in the room would hide the unevenness. They did it when demonstrating PW1 press conference last year. To pass the real test, open a blank page in a dark room and see if you can see any imperfection.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-04-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #109
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Since my current Kindle Keyboard is over 2 years old, I'll be asking Santa to bring me one for Christmas.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #110
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Since my current Kindle Keyboard is over 2 years old, I'll be asking Santa to bring me one for Christmas.
I'm in the same boat. My Kindle Keyboard is getting... flaky. There is a growing "spot" on the screen that never goes away and there is what I'd call screen burn-in if this were an LCD - text from the page I was reading continues to faintly show on the screensaver image.

So it'll be down to the new PW or the Kobo Aura HD.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'll wait for user reviews. It will give me more time save up for one. I've got enough now to get it but to me the biggest thing is the contrast and the cloudy effect that happens in the dark. I lucked out and got one that doesn't have blobs but it does have a couple super tiny pin holes and at times it looks a tad cloudy though no color discoloration.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #112
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
So, I was hoping they would add back in TTS. Since they didn't, I would guess its never coming back. What are the alternatives that support TTS?

Note: I just want to have the book read to me when I'm driving. Some readers only speak the current page, requiring you to manually advance and then tell it to read the next page -- not so good an option for driving.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
So, I was hoping they would add back in TTS. Since they didn't, I would guess its never coming back. What are the alternatives that support TTS?

Note: I just want to have the book read to me when I'm driving. Some readers only speak the current page, requiring you to manually advance and then tell it to read the next page -- not so good an option for driving.
Well there are audibles which I think you would love more. I bought my hubby a new radio that you can plug any mp3 player into and it plays on the car speakers.

Second would be a Kindle Fire or other Tablet with TTS to read to you.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #114
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:

This is exactly what I do with my Kindle Keyboard. Yeah the poor quality computer voice obviously doesn't compare with a good audiobook, but it's a great way to "read" in the car and then continue reading normally when you get home. Most eReaders seem to be dropping this unless you get a tablet device like the Kindle Fire, which I don't want.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #115
alexvi
alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'alexvi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kobo Aura HD :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I was hoping on a bigger screen :-(
Thanks to recent announcements by Sony and Amazon, now there is nothing to hold me back from getting Kobo Aura HD while their, um, "limited edition" still for sale
alexvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #116
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've pre-ordered one but it doesn't come out in the UK for nearly 2 weeks after it does in the US, so I will look at the reviews and cancel if necessary.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #117
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

I have an android tablet for travelling. On that I can load DRM free mobi files and open them in an app called Moon +. That has a really good TTS powered by voices from Ivona. I use a female voice called Amy. I guess you could do the same with an android smartphone.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #118
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
A very bright light in the room would hide the unevenness. They did it when demonstrating PW1 press conference last year. To pass the real test, open a blank page in a dark room and see if you can see any imperfection.
As the reviewers mentioned the defects from the last model I would imagine that they would have tested it in he appropriate conditions to know if it had improved or not. One of the reviewers even said that on the previous model lighting was uneven in the dark, so he must have tested the new one in the dark to be able to say that the lighting had improved.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #119
tesk
tesk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oh no! I'm receiving my 1st gen pw tomorrow.
I knew they were gong to release a new version but so soon?

I live in Norway so returning the device will be expensive.
Ah well, I guess this will do :'(
tesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #120
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesk View Post
Oh no! I'm receiving my 1st gen pw tomorrow.
I knew they were gong to release a new version but so soon?

I live in Norway so returning the device will be expensive.
Ah well, I guess this will do :'(
How much does it cost to return it? And is the buyer's remorse you'll feel for purchasing the old version days before the new one came out worth the difference?
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote