Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
artouiros
artouiros began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Can not login into Kobo Desktop app and syncing my device. Need help.

1. I have bought the new Kobo Touch. I went to kobosetup.com to download the application, as onscreen instruction said. The installation of app was perfect, click - click and I'm in it.
2. Kobo Dekstop said, that I need to connect my device. Ok! All went good, app recognized my device, I have entered information for registration and the password. After this a dialog popsup telling something like Application is too old to sync you device, please upgrade to newer version. Strange, but it is the last Kobo Dektop app 2.0.3
3. I unplugged my reader to see if I have registed it. In the account information I can see my email, I can even acces online store. So i gave it a new try.
4. Connected my device again. Tried to login into my account in Kobo Desktop. A dialog popups that my device is registered to another account, would I like to overwrite this data? Well..strange but I pressed OK. And what I see. A dialog pops up, telling me, that I need to login to do such trhing. I press OK and it returns me to login screen.
These steps are the same over and over. I tried reseting factory setup on my device, I tried reinstalling desktop application. I can't figure what is this. I've already read about password problem, y account password contains only letters and nothing else.

Last edited by artouiros; 08-06-2011 at 08:49 AM.
artouiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
It appears that there is a communication problem between your Touch and your computer.

Here is a list of possibilities along with their remedies.
1) USB port problem - try another USB port and/or another computer
2) Faulty USB cable - try another USB cable. Some smartphones use the same USB cable as the Touch
3) Faulty Touch - exchange at place of purchase
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
artouiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
It appears that there is a communication problem between your Touch and your computer.

Here is a list of possibilities along with their remedies.
1) USB port problem - try another USB port and/or another computer
2) Faulty USB cable - try another USB cable. Some smartphones use the same USB cable as the Touch
3) Faulty Touch - exchange at place of purchase
Well. I can't login into Kobo Desktop application even without device connected. Perhaps I can't update it because i'm not logged in? If yes.. it's a bit strange, why must I register an account to update the device. Is it any way to update firmware without using desktop app? Over wifi?

Last edited by artouiros; 08-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
why must I register an account to update the device.
The account information is needed for the Digital Rights Management (DRM) of books purchased from the Kobo store.

Quote:
Is it any way to update firmware without using desktop app? Over wifi?
Only the initial setup requires the Desktop Application. Thereafter you can use the Wi-Fi to: 1) purchase books from Kobo, 2) update the Touch firmware, and 3) update your reading life awards
Old 08-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
artouiros

Quote:
The account information is needed for the Digital Rights Management (DRM) of books purchased from the Kobo store.

Only the initial setup requires the Desktop Application. Thereafter you can use the Wi-Fi to: 1) purchase books from Kobo, 2) update the Touch firmware, and 3) update your reading life awards
Well, I can get the store working on my device, so I think it is registered, and my email is in the device info. But how do I update firmware? I conected to wifi, pressed the cloud button and nothing happens. Just at the top of the screen a text line updates "Updated" right after I clicked the button.
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Joe563

The firmware update is automatic when you Sync your Touch. The fact that a firmware update is not happening most likely means that you have the most recent version. You can check this under Settings>Device Information>Software Details. The most recent Software Version is 1.9.9 (r30773, Jul 28 2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
artouiros

Quote:
The firmware update is automatic when you Sync your Touch. The fact that a firmware update is not happening most likely means that you have the most recent version. You can check this under Settings>Device Information>Software Details. The most recent Software Version is 1.9.9 (r30773, Jul 28 2011)
still v1.9 from May. I'll try to get Kobo Desktop working in another windows installation. Maybe this one got corrupted.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #8
artouiros

Problem solved. A fresh installation of Windows in VirtualBox worked. Perhaps the driver on the real one got corrupted by something.