Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2024, 09:19 AM   #1
Lung Bing
Lung Bing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Why are my metadat.opf files changing?

I use Syncbackfree to backup my discs, including the one with the Calibre libraries on. Syncbackfree checks what is different between the source and the destination backup and lists those files that have changed and will be copied over to the backup.

There are always a large number of metadata.opf files for books that I have not read or changed in any way.

It's not really a problem as they copy over quickly, but what could be changing my metadata.opf files?
Lung Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:56 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Bing View Post
I use Syncbackfree to backup my discs, including the one with the Calibre libraries on. Syncbackfree checks what is different between the source and the destination backup and lists those files that have changed and will be copied over to the backup.

There are always a large number of metadata.opf files for books that I have not read or changed in any way.

It's not really a problem as they copy over quickly, but what could be changing my metadata.opf files?
Those files exist for calibre to use as backup data. They are changed whenever anything changes in the library that might affect the book. Examples: custom column changes, tag case changes, book metadata changes, etc.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 06:00 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried FreeFileSync? From the comparisons I've read, it's better then SynCBackFree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:51 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried FreeFileSync? From the comparisons I've read, it's better then SynCBackFree.
Not relevant to the question. FreeFileSync will also copy the updated metadata.opfs.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Not relevant to the question. FreeFileSync will also copy the updated metadata.opfs.
The OP's question was answered. So now it's time for thread drift.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:37 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The OP's question was answered. So now it's time for thread drift.
So what did you think of the Baftas?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:44 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I didn't think about them at all, too busy trying to find literary merit in Taylor Swift's lyrics.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:47 AM   #8
sgmoore
Enthusiast
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Bing View Post
I backup my calibre library to a git repo and I it does not happen often, but I do sometimes notice changes to opf files for lots of books that I have not opened. Since the opf files are just text files, it is easy to see what the changes are. The last time it happened there was a load of books with a line

<dc:subject>murder</dc:subject>

changed to

<dc:subject>Murder</dc:subject>

In other words a tag had been changed to be capitalized and this rewrote the opf files for all the books that had this tag. There was one new book added with this tag, but I can't honestly remember where the book came with that tag originally or whether I added or edited it.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:39 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
So what did you think of the Baftas?
That was the best show I didn't watch.