Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2024, 10:58 PM   #1
gentle_walk
gentle_walk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Solved: Calibre portable 7.5.0 won't launch (it works after reinstall, then won't)

The most recent Calibre Portable wouldn't launch. If I reinstalled, it opened, may open once more, but most I'd get out of it is 2 launches then nothing happened.

As per other's troubleshooting and advice:

- I tried opening in safe mode
- It wasn't opening off screen
- I deleted Calibre2 folder under program files

What worked was turning off Windows defender and adding an exception for the .exe file

As per guidance here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ing-on-windows
gentle_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:17 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle_walk View Post
The most recent Calibre Portable wouldn't launch. If I reinstalled, it opened, may open once more, but most I'd get out of it is 2 launches then nothing happened.

What worked was turning off Windows defender and adding an exception for the .exe file

How are you launching Calibre portable?

What made you think the "Calibre2 folder under program files" has anything to do with Calibre Portable?

I run 8 versions of calibre portable that I've installed over the past decade or so, initially on Win 7 now on Win10. I have never had to exclude any part of calibre from Defender or anything else.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle_walk View Post

You are doing something wrong here. I have run calibre on Windows 10 and now Windows 11. I have never once had to exclude any part of calibre from Windows AV.

How exactly are you launching calibre?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:09 AM   #4
gentle_walk
gentle_walk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I click on the executable file for Calibre Portable. I've also tried "run as administrator".

It's back to not working now. Nothing happens when I try either of the above.

"What made you think the "Calibre2 folder under program files" has anything to do with Calibre Portable?" bumbling around forums and seeing a suggestion from the developer to try this to someone who had a similar problem (on the full Calibre). Nonetheless, it didn't work.

Do you have any suggestions?
gentle_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:50 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where are you installing Calibre Portable, I keep my portable installs out of Windows (harms) way

D:\Calibre\Portables\Version 0 last
D:\Calibre\Portables\Version 1 last
. . .
D:\Calibre\Portables\Version 6 last
D:\Calibre\Portables\Version 7 current
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:49 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you installed 7.5.1?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote