Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2024, 09:52 AM   #1
rjwissbaum
rjwissbaum began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Opening URLs in Calibre 7

I have Calibre installed on two machines. Both machines run Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. One of the Calibre installations is version 6.4; the other installation is version 7.1.

In the older version, I can click on the file format of a source file (in my case, ODT) and Calibre opens LibreOffice Writer with the source file loaded.

In version 7.1, clicking on the ODT file has no effect. I see that a new tweak has been added: "Change the programs that are run when opening files/URLs" and I added the following tweak:

openers_by_scheme = {'odt': 'libreoffice --writer %u'}

This had no effect. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

I CAN right click on the extension and select LibreOffice Writer and the program opens just fine, but this is pretty clunky.
rjwissbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:06 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Clicking ODT on my system--Mint 21.2, caliber 7.5.1--opens the file with LibreOffice Writer. Try updating caliber.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwissbaum View Post
I have Calibre installed on two machines. Both machines run Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. One of the Calibre installations is version 6.4; the other installation is version 7.1.

In the older version, I can click on the file format of a source file (in my case, ODT) and Calibre opens LibreOffice Writer with the source file loaded.

In version 7.1, clicking on the ODT file has no effect. I see that a new tweak has been added: "Change the programs that are run when opening files/URLs" and I added the following tweak:

I CAN right click on the extension and select LibreOffice Writer and the program opens just fine, but this is pretty clunky.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:59 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwissbaum View Post

If a format (e.g. ODT) is not checked in the Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer for: list, calibre will open the file in the OS default program setting for that file type.

To discover what calibre is seeing as the default program for ODT, try right clicking the ODT in Book details, and then hover on Open with… — if Writer's not there, fix your OS defaults. If it is there

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ALso suggested is to update the 7.1 install to the latest version. Some bugs have been fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
file url, tweaks