Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Strange new error with 0.7.3?

Since upgrading to Sigil 0.7.3, I've begun occasionally receiving a strange error that I've never seen before. Sigil won't allow me to view several of my html files in book view. The error says:

"The operation you requested cannot be performed because *.html is not a well-formed XML document."
"An error was found at or above line X: entity 'nbsp' not found."

I've looked at the line of code and can't see anything whatsoever wrong.

Has anyone else run into this?

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Since upgrading to Sigil 0.7.3, I've begun occasionally receiving a strange error that I've never seen before. Sigil won't allow me to view several of my html files in book view. The error says:

"The operation you requested cannot be performed because *.html is not a well-formed XML document."
"An error was found at or above line X: entity 'nbsp' not found."

I've looked at the line of code and can't see anything whatsoever wrong.

Has anyone else run into this?

- Byron
Believe the message
Sometimes the error STARTED way before the line mentioned (That being the first place it could determine that things went SOUTH)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The short answer is upgrade to v0.7.4.

The long answer is (and feel free to bypass it):

If your code uses & nbsp ; (or any named entities other than the 5 xml-approved entities), then it needs a Document Type Definition declaring it as XHTML or it's technically invalid.

v0.7.3 will also automatically convert any unicode non-breaking space characters to & nbsp ; (because of an unavoidable Qt issue) which can also make the document invalid if there's no existing DTD (newer versions of calibre are creating epubs that--while valid--are just going to give Sigil v0.7.3 fits in this regard).

v0.7.4 converts those unicode non-breaking characters to the numeric entity & #160 ; so it won't break any otherwise well-formed documents.

So it's upgrade to 0.7.4 or stay with 0.7.3 and allow it to add the correct DOCTYPE by enabling the Clean Source setting upon "Opening." You can turn it off off again once you've opened and saved that ePub.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-30-2013 at 02:53 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
That's exactly what it was alright. I hadn't even noticed that those particular files hadn't been properly defined. The two files that we giving the error had no doctype definition whatsoever. I just hadn't noticed it. Once I copy & pasted the lines in, everything cleared right up. Usually Baen is better about putting their epubs together but occasionally mistakes slip through.

Thanks for the help.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote