Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #721
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I've been begging for that since I bought my Kobo Touch - but it seems they think that three settings are more than enough and otherwise you can swipe (which I don't like).

Can't imagine that it is difficult to program...
Completely agree. I reckon the Aura HD will likely end up inside a drawer until tap anywhere for next page has been implemented (either via official firmware update or hacks). My fingers are just too short for the 1/3 back, 2/3 next page touch setting. That said, the display lives up to expectations. For now though, I'm sticking to the PRS-350 for novels and an Android tablet for manga.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #722
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Completely agree. I reckon the Aura HD will likely end up inside a drawer until tap anywhere for next page has been implemented (either via official firmware update or hacks). My fingers are just too short for the 1/3 back, 2/3 next page touch setting. That said, the display lives up to expectations. For now though, I'm sticking to the PRS-350 for novels and an Android tablet for manga.
Remember that swipe also works for page turning.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #723
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember that swipe also works for page turning.
I dislike swiping. The PRS-350 sat unused inside my drawer for months for that very reason. It's only when I installed PRS+ and was able to customize tap regions that I actually started using the PRS-350.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #724
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
How about just swiping to go back? I also liked the tap anywhere of PRS+ but truth be told, 99% of my input is to go forward. I don't mind swiping to go back occasionally.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #725
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
How about just swiping to go back? I also liked the tap anywhere of PRS+ but truth be told, 99% of my input is to go forward. I don't mind swiping to go back occasionally.
That's exactly what I suggested a year and a half ago (and others have suggested it, too - probably before I did):

Tap anywhere to go forward, swipe to go back.

And they could place the menu in the top left corner (like the ear in the right corner) or use swipe up or down (which was there in one of the firmware versions but got ditched for no apparent reason - the sweeping for the menu I mean).

I switch hands often and used to change the setting. But that started to annoy me so now I have a rather strange way of holding my Kobo(s) with my right hand (wedged between my index finger on the upper right corner and my other fingers on the back, making it possible to tap on the left side with my thumb).

Unfortunately that is rather uncomfortable with the larger Aura that also has less rounded corners (which makes the way I used to hold the Touch when reading in bed completely uncomfortable).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #726
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Tap anywhere to go forward, swipe to go back.

I switch hands often and used to change the setting.
Yep, that's how I have all of my readers set-up (including my comic apps). Single tap on a large portion of the screen (left and right edges in particular) then either swipe or one of the top corners to go back. Middle portion I usually keep for menu.

Heck, even iBooks, as limited as it is, has this option.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #727
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I switch hands all the time so I'm all for the tap anywhere to go forward and swipe to go back.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #728
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Was it here that people were saying live chat didn't show up when they tried? I was tring the contact link every so often today and it seemed to start to appear at 8am EDT (UTC-4). Tis is the same time as they list for their general phone support in Canada and the US. (Before then it would show up briefly sometimes but quickly disappear, I guess their website checks something and removes the live chat link.)
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #729
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Unfortunately, not liking the firmware much. I'm running PRS+ on my PRS-350 which has a ton of features. Hierarchical collections, tap anywhere for next page and folder browsing support are some of the things I find myself missing.
Did you honestly think changing reader brand would give you all the bells & whistles that PRS+ does for old Sonys? PRS+ was carefully crafted over several years by talented hackers who donated their time and considerable effort for free responding to specific requests from MR members?

The current Sony PRST2 can't do all those things and, if there's a PRST3, it probably won't be able to do them either. As far as I know, neither will a Kindle nor a Nook. The Kindle has the widest range of community hacks available, not surprising given the number of Kindles out there. But as Amazon seems to actively avoid giving owners customisation features, Kindle owners need to jump through a lot of confusing hoops to apply them and the hackers need to keep reinventing the wheel every time a new firmware is released.

Buying a replacement gadget is always a bit of a gamble. You'll win a few features and lose a few. Luckily, for those who take the time to read MR forums, there's ample opportunity to set expections realistically before shelling out good money on unwanted drawer fillers.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #730
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Good point. It's unfortunate that you can't hack a hires screen and front light into a PRS 650. I would never switch.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #731
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Yes, as soon as you finish reading a book trash it.. That's what I do.. I have never re -read a book in my life. Saves shelf space.. I actually give them away ASAP for someone else to enjoy rather than hoarding them in my house or e-reader.. that way your e-reader will be trouble free.
or this person could be different than you.....

personally, I've read most good books more than once, sometimes countless times. and ENJOYED IT.
*side-note: i do have a horrible memory so that makes re-reading books pretty much on par with 1st time readings...*

I think their are much better solutions than "don't read a book twice and keep as few books as possible on your device". I gave one in an earlier post that seems much more sensible for most people's taste than your "change your personality" solution.

I don't usually call people out on their posting manner, but seriously dude, every post I've read of yours from the start has been "my way or the highway" type attitude...or maybe you're just having fun with sarcasm.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #732
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Did you honestly think changing reader brand would give you all the bells & whistles that PRS+ does for old Sonys? PRS+ was carefully crafted over several years by talented hackers who donated their time and considerable effort for free responding to specific requests from MR members?

Buying a replacement gadget is always a bit of a gamble. You'll win a few features and lose a few. Luckily, for those who take the time to read MR forums, there's ample opportunity to set expections realistically before shelling out good money on unwanted drawer fillers.
I don't expect it to have as many features as PRS+. Among the features I mentioned, though, the only thing that's a must have for me is tap anywhere for next page. How hard could it be for Kobo to add a couple more touchscreen settings which includes that? One of the touchscreen settings is already pretty similar to the Kindle's "Easy Reach Tap Zones". Kobo just needs to make the left zone smaller to accommodate smaller hands.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #733
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Got my Aura HD black today. The screen quality is outstanding. That's really fantastic.

An Aura HD DX with a 9.7" screen and the same dpi rate would be awesome but I still need some dreams.

Last edited by joblack; 05-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #734
SusiQ
Enthusiast
SusiQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Please help a Kobo newbie!! Just got an Aura and can't figure out how to get books from Calibre onto the Aura?? Also have Kindles and trying to decide if I'm ready to make the jump to Kobo but decision is easy if I can't load my books onto the Aura
SusiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #735
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusiQ View Post
Please help a Kobo newbie!! Just got an Aura and can't figure out how to get books from Calibre onto the Aura?? Also have Kindles and trying to decide if I'm ready to make the jump to Kobo but decision is easy if I can't load my books onto the Aura
I just copied them onto my microSD card but I suspect if you connect your Aura with the USB cable to your computer you can either copy the files manually or let Calibre do it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote