Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
millhaus
millhaus began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600
thanks for such a fast reply. Use the transliterate unicode characters option doesn't help. the reader uses different code page. we usualy use cp 1252 and even if i set it as the source encoding it doesnt help. the best result i can get is to use lrt file with embed font but when using transliberation, it gets rid of all the interpunction š -> s etc. even the one which is correct. and read books without it is not pleasant
there are ways how to fix it by using other programs or by flashing the firmware.
the S & R feature works (with LRT files)! but i would need like 7 fields.
wouldnt be nice to have an all in one solution?
millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm transliterate unicode characters converts everything to english cahracters which all ebook readers support.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
@Kovid, millhaus only wants to change the characters that don't display properly to ASCII not all unicode characters.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah. Now I get it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
There's the configuration variable in the output profile to add 'just' un-supported letters there - I don't think it would be a great idea to add letters to the defaults because users taking the time to add fonts to their readers would complain, but maybe a 'tweak' could added so users could append their own list of characters.

@millhaus, I don't know if you've checked on the Sony sub-forums, but I thought that you could just stick a font file onto the Sony's filesystem directly and use Calibre's extra_css to have every ebook use it once converted. I might be mis-remembering though and it's possible that it only works with the latest generation devices.

Couldn't find it on Mobilread, though I'm sure the info is here somewhere, anyway here's a link to the regular Sony forum:
http://www.sonyreaderboards.com/foru...le=6&f=2&t=190

Last edited by ldolse; 02-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
millhaus
millhaus began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600
thank you guys so much. i folowed the method from the sony forum and it works great for books.
but not for news. i was even trying to modify the recipe by adding this
Code:
 extra_css             = """
                                @font-face { 
  font-family: "arial"; 
  font-weight: normal; 
  font-style: normal; 
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/arial.ttf); 
} 
body { 
  font-family: "arial", serif; 
  widows: 0; 
  orphans: 0 
}
                            """
(the extra css that works for the books) but without any success.
millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #22
mamon77
mamon77 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY e650
I vote yes

If at all possible, I also vote for more S&R fields.

I have a similar problem as Millhaus except with Polish characters.
I added fonts to my 650, and sometimes I embed the fonts as well and generally it works well.

However, every now and then I'll run into a strange pdf which displays Polish characters fine in pdf but after pdf is processed they get converted incorrectly to something like a' instead of ą, s' instead of ś, etc. Flashing firmware, adding fonts, etc won't help because ePub gets written incorrectly. Transliterating to ASCII is not palatable, because I like my Polish text to have Polish letters where they should be.
I have verified that I can deal with that via S&R, it's just that now I have to do multiple passes.

Fom the UI point of view I think it could be dealt with by having a list of S&R expressions and an "add S&R" button which would add to the list. To make people's life easier for the common S&R tasks like removing -<pgnum>- we could even allow to name and save an S&R for later reuse...
mamon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #23
Elric
Elric began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Given that you can chain regexes with | I don't really see the need for more.
Please explain chaining regular expressions. Google is coming up with nothing useful and I'm desperate for more S&R fields.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #24
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric View Post
Please explain chaining regular expressions. Google is coming up with nothing useful and I'm desperate for more S&R fields.
See the section titled "But if I had a few varying strings I wanted to match, things get complicated?" in the tutorial.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #25
Elric
Elric began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
See the section titled "But if I had a few varying strings I wanted to match, things get complicated?" in the tutorial.
Thanks a bunch for the pointer. I wasn't aware there was a tutorial here. I had been using some info from the Calibre site to get started w/ S&R and since I am already pretty familiar with regular expressions hadn't seen the S&R tutorial on this forum.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote