Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Paperwhite - sometimes Aa menu doesn't respond

I have a jailbroken Paperwhite with the USE_ALT_FONTS trick applied, and two user-loaded fonts in a font directory.

About half the time, when i press the aA icon (or is it Aa?), the icon darkens to show that it's selected, but I don't get the fonts menu, either at all or it takes quite awhile (several seconds) to display.

Is this common with paperwhites? is it a function of having the additional fonts, that the paperwhite has to think about the fonts for a bit?

Or is it just me? I know that traditionally I have problems with touch screens responding to me (I can't wear watches, either).

I have such a very good screen, I am afraid to contact Amazon about this, for fear that they'll want to send me a new unit, and I won't get one with as good a screen.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Becca, I have the same with my PW, also jailbroken, also using the USE_ALT_FONTS trick. If I wait a bit, it finally works, but it definitely is slower than without the trick.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm curious: how much slower? Like without USE_ALT_FONTS -- 0.1 seconds, but with -- 2 seconds?

It makes sense if code for showing font list enumerates all available fonts. More fonts is available -- more time it takes.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm not jailbroken but the font list shows up for me in about 2 seconds. I have 10 fonts installed.

It will always show up slower the first time after a restart because it's rebuilding the font menu.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
About half the time, when i press the aA icon (or is it Aa?), the icon darkens to show that it's selected, but I don't get the fonts menu, either at all or it takes quite awhile (several seconds) to display.
I have a similar problem although mine is random and not specific to the font button. Also mine happens less than half the time and mine isn't jail broken. It seems that if you tap and hold it for too long, you would have this problem. Just make sure you tap it hard and instantly lift your finger, you would less likely have this problem. Cleaning the screen with a laptop cleaner seems to help it too.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm not jailbroken but the font list shows up for me in about 2 seconds. I have 10 fonts installed.

It will always show up slower the first time after a restart because it's rebuilding the font menu.
This is indeed correct; and the more fonts you put on, the slower it responds.

Doesn't the dialog get too big when you install 10 fonts? AFAIK, you can't hide any without jailbreaking.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This is indeed correct; and the more fonts you put on, the slower it responds.

Doesn't the dialog get too big when you install 10 fonts? AFAIK, you can't hide any without jailbreaking.
10 of your own plus all the other ones that are there is the limit. You see the top part of line spacing and margin and can still press them. If you have an embedded font, it will add one more and you can't press the buttons.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
10 of your own plus all the other ones that are there is the limit. You see the top part of line spacing and margin and can still press them. If you have an embedded font, it will add one more and you can't press the buttons.
But there is a work around that. You just go out of the book to a book without the publisher font option and change the line and margin settings then go back into your book.

I can live with that work around if it means I can have more fonts.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Do you not just pick a font that you like best and use it all the time, why would you need so many different options?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Do you not just pick a font that you like best and use it all the time, why would you need so many different options?
That's what I do. I like the MT Chinese Surrogate and see no reason to change.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
But there is a work around that. You just go out of the book to a book without the publisher font option and change the line and margin settings then go back into your book.

I can live with that work around if it means I can have more fonts.
I want only one font.... The most readable, elegant, beautiful, look as big as size 4 while actually being size 1 one
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
One font is too boring. I read different theme books so it's nice to change fonts with different themes. I've used Amasis for so long now I feel like with more choices I can finally have the eReader I've always wanted. Real books don't have the same font over and over. Why should a eReader?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Fair enough Blossom! One of the things I like about e-books is that I can read them all in the same font instead of having to put up with different ones in different books the way I used to have to do so.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
One font would be sufficient if only the KF8 reader's idea of font sizes was the same as the MOBI reader. I always have to push the font size up one step and push the line spacing down one step to get something that looks even *similar* to the MOBI reader. It's seriously annoying. (Plus, there are a lot of publishers out there who impose their own font for the entirety of KF8 books -- or at least seem to, what is allegedly Caecilia in such books doesn't look anything like it does in MOBI books).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Just an update on my Aa menu problem.

I've learned to call up the toolbar by pressing more in the left side than in the upper right corner as I've been doing, roughly where the Home icon is. that seems to call up the toolbar more reliably.

I deleted one of Jon's fonts - haven't put the new version on yet - and the Aa menu responds more reliably now, so maybe my PW just didn't like that version of the font for some reason.

I'm using Blossom's Gentium Book font at size 5 from the left, and it seems to work just fine for me now.

Touch screens aren't instantaneous - I keep expecting them to be, but they're not. It's like my pw has to think for a second before responding. I may have just been too impatient.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote