Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #46
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I find the only way to get immediate "bar" gratification from a charge is to turn the Reader ON, then plug the charger into it.

The display is not erased while charging, so it might leavemore of a ghost later.

Interestingly, the displayed image seems to lose contrast over time when it is left displayed like this.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #47
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't upgraded my Reader, but I also experience fluctuations in the battery bar meter. Some times the battery seems to deplate faster than other times. I have no idea what is causing this behavior.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There definitely seems to be ongoing "battery meter wierdness" following the upgrade. Yesterday, my Reader was down to 2 bars on the meter, so I left it plugged into my PC all day until the "charge" light went out. When I disconnected the USB cable, the meter showed 3 bars. I did a soft reset and it went back to 4 bars.

Hope they fix this in the next update - it's a bit of a nuisance having to do a reset after each charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I attempted a chat with Sony Support this morning, but they told me there's no chat support for the Reader and gave me a phone number to call instead. So, I called to inquire whether Sony officially knew that there was a post-update problem with the charge meter not registering 100% without being reset. He said they had received a few complaints about it, but said that it would help the issue if there was a larger volume of calls complaining about it. So, for what it's worth, the phone number is 1-866-962-7669. They'll ask your name, phone number and serial number of the Reader. Reading between the lines, it sounded like the greater the number of calls, the faster a corrective update would occur.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #50
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Yesterday was the first time I have had an issue with the battery indicator showing incorrectly. I let it charge the day before and after checking it after the light went out it still showed 1 bar. I thought maybe that it didn't charge so I plugged it back in overnight and when I turned it on yesterday, still the 1 bar was showing. I tried turning it off and then back on with the same result.

I have read a little about the soft reset, but before I came here to see exactly what was required to reset it and what issues may arrise, I decided to turn the reader on, plug the charger in and as soon as I did that, the battery indicator reset back to showing a full charge. No soft reset was required.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #51
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
There definitely seems to be ongoing "battery meter wierdness" following the upgrade. Yesterday, my Reader was down to 2 bars on the meter, so I left it plugged into my PC all day until the "charge" light went out. When I disconnected the USB cable, the meter showed 3 bars. I did a soft reset and it went back to 4 bars.

Hope they fix this in the next update - it's a bit of a nuisance having to do a reset after each charge.
Since the soft.update I find almost the same thing.

I've waited a bit, before I jumped in the thread because I found it childish to constantly count power bars; just like driving and keeping one's eyes on the gas gauge.

But in this case I admit there is a little something unusual. In my reader's case, when I put it to charge (usb) there is no change in the power display. Like you Harry, I left the reader plugged in for a whole day and there was no change of display at all. I had to resort to a soft restart to get 'full power' displayed.
If it were up to me I'd get rid of the display altogether and wait for the failsafe to tell me about charging. That could be an option!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I prefer having the meter ... it let's me decide when to recharge so that I can do it when I don't plan to read in the first place, rather than having to charge whenever the battery runs out, probably at a a time when I want to read (otherwise, why would I have my Reader turned on? ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #53
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I prefer having the meter ... it let's me decide when to recharge so that I can do it when I don't plan to read in the first place, rather than having to charge whenever the battery runs out, probably at a a time when I want to read (otherwise, why would I have my Reader turned on? ).
I have to agree with NatCH on this one Mr. Terrible (grinning).... although you are right we are probably wasting a lot of time watching the darn meter, if one was going on a trip and it just died, you are screwed. I would like to know at least if the battery is getting at a low point as well so I could have that puppy charged up and ready to go. I also see charging this thing that it takes about an hour for each bar..... four hours total...... or so my experience.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #54
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

let me get this clear, so if i plug in the ac adaptor to charge while the reader is on, then the battery weirdness gets cured?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #55
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I have to agree with NatCH on this one Mr. Terrible (grinning).... although you are right we are probably wasting a lot of time watching the darn meter, if one was going on a trip and it just died, you are screwed. I would like to know at least if the battery is getting at a low point as well so I could have that puppy charged up and ready to go. I also see charging this thing that it takes about an hour for each bar..... four hours total...... or so my experience.
How about if the meter was in the menus instead of constantly in our face' we'd still be able to use it easily.
That thing caused enough paranoia to justify this thread. It's like your first baby, every giggle, google and butt whistle gives you worries!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #56
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Ha ha, what first new baby......... never had any of those headaches <G>
Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #57
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

You did!... your PRS!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #58
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

HUH? what is PRS? guess I just went brain dead. English please <G>
Old 03-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #59
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Sorry! PRS 500...aka the Sony reader.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck
let me get this clear, so if i plug in the ac adaptor to charge while the reader is on, then the battery weirdness gets cured?
Some folks have seen that happen -- we're not entirely sure what the issue is, so it's hard to be sure what will fix it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote