Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle DXG is currently the best reader for manga.
I would think so but it is expensive and it sounds like the OP wants to be able to store more than 4 GB of magna on his e-book reader so needs something with a memory card slot.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #32
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would think so but it is expensive and it sounds like the OP wants to be able to store more than 4 GB of magna on his e-book reader so needs something with a memory card slot.
Yeah thats the thing...I mean I would absolutely spend about 250 on an 8+ inch screen and one with a memory slot but that kinda thing seems to reach in the 350+ range.

I might have to suck it up and get a Nook I think, I mean this looks great but who knows he might have just picked the best series for the Nooks screen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/4194686706/

He actually went through the trouble of comparing several models:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/se...7622898319997/

Kinda cool of him.

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-12-2010 at 04:45 PM.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #33
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
September is bound to bring a 9,7-inch screen device, possibly the first serious competitor to Kindle DX, concretely Pocketbook 901. If they manage to deliver the price point (promised around 300 dollars) you may find it worth the wait. Pocketbook's PDF handling is quite good. You won't have the screen improvement though.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #34
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
Over that image looks much smaller and more unreadable and smaller then when I tried them on the 600, Yeah I went to my local staples and they only had the sony 300 and 600. I basically could read everything...and the nook will be more readable because of the higher contrast right?

But yeah I agree, 600 has been exaggerated a tad bit imo. I rather go for the better screen though...

Mitchi I actually have been turning them into Epubs, Is that worse?

Ideally I would love an 8 inch but it seems like that wont happen unless I spend 300+....Which I find insane might I add, its only 2 more inches
It's not smaller, it really the size you'll on any 6" device. I've checked by placing by Cybook in front of the monitor and comparing (there might be a couple milimeters error margin, though).

Of course, it's no sample of the image sharpness, as I've mentioned in my previous post. It's only about the size.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #35
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
It's not smaller, it really the size you'll on any 6" device. I've checked by placing by Cybook in front of the monitor and comparing (there might be a couple milimeters error margin, though).

Of course, it's no sample of the image sharpness, as I've mentioned in my previous post. It's only about the size.
Ahh I see, wonder why Calibre makes them look bigger in its previewer(The image I posted). Thats good to know though, I mean that it was readable..and If I heard right Nook will even be better in that aspect.

If anything, they do have a return policy I suppose...
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #36
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

Device: Jetbook Lite, Droid Eris
Quote:
Mitchi I actually have been turning them into Epubs, Is that worse?
I wouldn't know, I can't imagine epubs being able to handle the images properly. From what I can gather, pdf seems the way to go since many ereaders are a little slow at handling images. Just be careful with wordy manga with tiny print (like how you would probably NEVER be able to read death note on a smaller screen).

While a few of the smaller e readers have a zoom, making the pages too big will mean it takes longer to go to the next page.
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #37
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchi View Post
I wouldn't know, I can't imagine epubs being able to handle the images properly. From what I can gather, pdf seems the way to go since many ereaders are a little slow at handling images. Just be careful with wordy manga with tiny print (like how you would probably NEVER be able to read death note on a smaller screen).

While a few of the smaller e readers have a zoom, making the pages too big will mean it takes longer to go to the next page.
I looked into it a bit ago, seems epub is fine, didnt waste all that time I guess :-). http://www.kellbot.com/2010/04/manga-on-the-bn-nook/

Man that kinda blows...I was looking forward to DeathNote...Loved the anime, the type is small in that one...hmm never noticed on my pc.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #38
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
I looked into it a bit ago, seems epub is fine, didnt waste all that time I guess :-). http://www.kellbot.com/2010/04/manga-on-the-bn-nook/

Man that kinda blows...I was looking forward to DeathNote...Loved the anime, the type is small in that one...hmm never noticed on my pc.
I have another off topic small question, I have some novels in PDF form, will they display right on the nook? Like text size changing etc...?

*Sorry, Keep missing the edit button...Use to a forum where those are opposite.

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-13-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #39
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Just would like to thank everyone for there help, got a Nook today! :-)
Old 08-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #40
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
September is bound to bring a 9,7-inch screen device, possibly the first serious competitor to Kindle DX, concretely Pocketbook 901. If they manage to deliver the price point (promised around 300 dollars) you may find it worth the wait. Pocketbook's PDF handling is quite good. You won't have the screen improvement though.
I didn't know about the Pocketbook 901...Is it 100% certain it won't have the new Pearl screen ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #41
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I didn't know about the Pocketbook 901...Is it 100% certain it won't have the new Pearl screen ?
According to Pocketbook, half a year of Pearl screen production is already booked by Amazon (and I think Sony as well). That would impede models coming out in September to have the new screen, at least initially. PB has said they want to implement new gen eInk instead of other technologies like SiPix or PixelQi, so it's a safe bet that there will be models in a long term sporting Pearl.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote