Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #31
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
in reality there is nothing new added to the world of e-reading and e-ink itself.
I disagree. I have seen the new eInk Pearl screen on a Kindle DX and there is a definite improvement over any other brand of digital reader I have seen and it is definitely superior to the nook and the Kobo.

Now if I already owned a nook or a Kobo would it be enough to convince me to change? Probably not. But if I were shopping today it would certainly drive me to Amazon over Barnes and Noble.

Somebody searching for information on certain scripts might want to try googling "Apprentice Alf Blog" and reading there.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #32
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I don't know I've seen screen shots comparing the new Kindle DX Pearl screen to the Nooks it was better but it certainly wasn't head and shoulders better.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
From what I have read, the screen shots fail to show the difference. I don't have a K2 or a Nook or a Sony 505 but everyone who has one of the others and compared it to the DXG has said that the difference is notable.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #34
CatsMeow
CatsMeow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & K3
I'm happy with my Nook. But at $139, I figure I'll double my happiness and have BOTH a Nook and a Kindle! I'll have ePub when I want it for library checkouts and I'll have a Kindle when I want an Amazon-only book. But since I didn't pre-order yet, I may let the dust settle and read the hands-on reviews in early September.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #35
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
CatsMeow, I'm leaning in the same direction.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #36
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Earlier research into e-readers suggested the Sony allowed more formats from more sources. That has been disputed. Whether true, or not, there are other issues. I read about Sony having a dark screen...black lettering on a grey 'paper', making it unreadable in many lighting situations. The Sony also has a high price.

The Nook is good in many ways, but I dislike their version of 'free books'. To get a free read, on Nook, I need to be physically in a B&N store-and there are fewer of them all the time, as they are closing down left, and right-and then I can use Nook to read a book for free...for two hours. I'm not going to get through the sort of books I read in two hours. Then the free read ends, and when I leave the store, the free book stays in the store...not in my Nook. Conversely, it seems that free Amazon books for the Kindle are free, and can be downloaded anywhere in the world, and remain in the Kindle, as well as being able to be archived online so I can recover them if my Kindle goes belly up.

The Pocketbook has only 64MB of RAM, NO text to speech capability, no archiving that I have heard of, and costs $90.00 more than the comparable Kindle.

a touchscreen is of no interest to me. I can take it, or leave it, but would not base a buying decision on a unit having, or lacking, it.

The more I research these things, the more it seems that the 3G+WiFi Kindle is the thing to have. I have been looking at the free, and nearly free, books available on Amazon, and they are the things I read most...classics. If I read mostly new best sellers, or newspapers, or lab reports, another e-reader may be better.

The Nook is a very close second to the Kindle in my book, but if I were buying today I would go with a Kindle. I will continue my research for a few more weeks at least before deciding. What are the rest of you basing your buying decisions on?
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #37
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
The Nook is good in many ways, but I dislike their version of 'free books'. To get a free read, on Nook, I need to be physically in a B&N store-and there are fewer of them all the time, as they are closing down left, and right-and then I can use Nook to read a book for free...for two hours. I'm not going to get through the sort of books I read in two hours. Then the free read ends, and when I leave the store, the free book stays in the store...not in my Nook. Conversely, it seems that free Amazon books for the Kindle are free, and can be downloaded anywhere in the world, and remain in the Kindle, as well as being able to be archived online so I can recover them if my Kindle goes belly up.
Nook has downloadable free books on their official Free eBooks page here, the unofficial listings you can get by typing 0.00 into the search box, the current Barnes & Noble Classics rotating summer promo (annotated editions w/bonus material), and they do this Free Fridays promotion every week that gets updated in their Nook blog.

Admittedly, they don't have nearly as many freebies as you can get on Amazon, but they're there, and you can keep them, and go to My Library to download them again if need be.

Plus, you can use the free books from the Sony Reader and Kobo stores on the Nook, as well.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #38
pina
pina began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
wrong topic, I'm sorry

Last edited by pina; 08-06-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: wrong topic
pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #39
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Thanks ATDrake - The info helps.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #40
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
Thanks ATDrake - The info helps.
Yeah, I have tons of free books on my nook downloaded without being in the store. While Amazon has more free books, how many tawdry romances can you read?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote