Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
brianh
brianh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Updating books

I have been creating my own books from short stories. I create the books on my Mac using custom html with BBEdit and then drop them into Calibre. From there, I edit the metadata and convert to mobi for my Kindle.

Some of these books I find necessary to edit as I read to correct html, misspellings, etc. I've found the process of removing the previous version from Calibre, adding/meta'ing/converting/syncing the new files laborious. Am I missing something in Calibre that would make this process much easier?

BTW, thank you for Calibre, Kovid.

B
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Actually, what I do in such cases is open the epub file as a zip file, edit the xhtml that is inside and store it back. I think that as long as you keep the xhtml valid the epub itself will also stay valid.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
brianh

Actually, I use mobi for my Kindle. And the zip file does not open on my Mac.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You don't need to delete the book entry in calibre. Select the book in the main window, click 'Edit meta information'. In the top right of the Edit Meta Information dialog is 'Available Formats'. Select the format you want to replace, click the trash can to remove that format. Click the 'Add new format...' button (book with +) to add the new version.

That should save you a little time, and retains cover/metadata information.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
brianh

GRiker, I confirmed this works. In fact, it was not necessary to "trash" the original version, Calibre simply over-wrote it for me. For one book it appeared to generate the mobi file automatically, for the second I had to manually convert. Curious.

Thanks for this tip!
Advert