Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2023, 06:03 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Bad writing or is MY brain scrambled?

I decided to read one of my Kindle books I "bought" a few months ago (free with Amazon Prime) because it looked interesting. But the author has a habit of using past tense for what's happening in the present. Is the following bad writing, or is my brain just scrambled? I'm really having trouble focusing on the story because this keeps pulling me out of it.

Here's a short passage... (near the beginning of Chapter One - my "corrections" in parentheses.)

Quote:
“Kathy. Hi, Moira.” Sarah kept (keeps) her voice low, not wanting to wake her father, whose hospital bed was (is) in the dining room.

(Small Correction: This free book came from Barnes & Noble. I used it when testing the Windows 10 solution for liberating Nook eBooks. I ran into again when testing my Windows 10 virtual machine on Mac. Apparently it's also free on Amazon (first in a series).)

(Small correction: the book came from Barnes & Noble, I had downloaded it when I first tested the Windows 10 way to liberate Nook books. I ran into again when I was testing this when using the Nook in a Windows 10 virtual machine under Mac OS. That said, the book is available free on Amazon as well.)

“Hi, Aunt Tharah,” Moira lisped (lisps). “I lotht my two front teeth, thee?” The little girl stuck (sticks) her tongue out through the gap where the teeth had been.

Sarah smiled (smiles). “I see that.”

Eliza took (takes) Sarah’s purse and coat. Catching her hand, she urged (urges) Sarah toward the dining room. “You need to prepare yourself before he wakes up. It’ll be easier for you both that way.”

From the couch came (comes) a quiet snort. “The rest of us have been preparing for this for months, Mama. Sure must be nice not to have had to worry about cleaning up messes and keeping vigil over a sickbed. But I guess I ain’t thinking straight. School’s more important than family, I hear.”

“Kathleen, that’s enough,” Eliza said (says). “I warned you about taking an attitude.”

With a seething glare in Sarah’s direction, Kathy stood (stands). Sarah saw (sees) that her sister was (is) pregnant again, several months gone. “I need some air. Moira, stay right here.”

“Yeth, Mommy,” Moira said (says), seemingly oblivious to the undercurrents in the room.
I don't think I'm going to be able read this book because of this. This author is (apparently) fairly well known. Is this kind of writing common now?

Last edited by rcentros; 09-04-2023 at 06:39 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:42 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
To me, the past tense looks normal, and what I would expect. Your present tense to me reads more like a play or direction.

I believe past tense is the norm? The book I'm currently reading uses past tense.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2023, 07:16 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Past tense has always been the norm and present tense a rare exception. Recently there seem to be more authors writing in the present tense, though, which I personally detest.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:30 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Past tense is normal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:53 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Your brian is scumbled. Pease resit.

Tags for dialogue (which itself is almost always present tense) are almost always in past tense. So much so that "He Said, She Said" is a common title*.
Oddly "She Said, He Said" is less common, but I do have https://www.amazon.co.uk/She-Said-He...dp/B07ZG921DS/

A first person POV might use present tense, esp. Romance, though historically most first person POV used past tense, because story telling, even set in the future is recounting what has happened. A first person POV can work well, though often to make it more interesting the "narrator" can be unreliable. OTOH the entire narration and tags/actions outside of dialogue in present tense is very rare and tiring. Contrary to what some might think it doesn't add immersion. A novel isn't a screenplay or stage script.

[* Though do Romance authors search existing titles? Just because you can, it doesn't mean using the same title is a good idea. Or similar ones such as "The <insert occupation or title here>'s Daughter".]

Last edited by Quoth; 09-04-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2023, 08:08 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The past tense reads correctly and the present tense (corrections) reads oddly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:26 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
To me, the past tense looks normal, and what I would expect. Your present tense to me reads more like a play or direction.

I believe past tense is the norm? The book I'm currently reading uses past tense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Past tense has always been the norm and present tense a rare exception. Recently there seem to be more authors writing in the present tense, though, which I personally detest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Past tense is normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Your brian is scumbled. Pease resit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The past tense reads correctly and the present tense (corrections) reads oddly.
The consensus is unanimous but even now it still looks (and sounds) wrong to me. It seems like a contradiction, the action is happening now, but it's described as happening in the past. I guess my brain is seriously scrambled today. I can probably can blame it on writing short screenplays, where you're always told to use present tense.

Thanks everyone. It's weird that I just noticed this in this one book. I've never had this reaction before.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-04-2023 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe you need more sleep and/or to drink more water.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I can probably can blame it on writing short screenplays, where you're always told to use present tense.
That's probably the reason.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:29 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe you need more sleep and/or to drink more water.
More sleep maybe, but I already drink a LOT of water. Maybe too much. That's the only thing I drink since I kicked the caffeine habit.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That's probably the reason.
But I've been writing short screenplays for years (and reading novels for years). I can't figure out why this particular book triggered this response.

I'll get over it. Or at least I'll pretend I do.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:43 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But I've been writing short screenplays for years (and reading novels for years). I can't figure out why this particular book triggered this response.

I'll get over it. Or at least I'll pretend I do.
Perhaps the effect is cumulative. Or Mercury is in retrograde... or the muses were in a bad mood... or... or...

Brain can do the weirdest things.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:57 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can probably can blame it on writing short screenplays, where you're always told to use present tense.
I'd stick to that excuse. It's a really good one. Actually the length is irrelevant.

Certainly the directions must all be in the present tense. And any soliloquy breaking the 3rd wall would be present tense. A play, TV or movie unfolds in real time, except maybe for a flashback, which is still all in the present tense.

Since you are long off caffeine it must be an "out of cheese error". Send Grommet out for more.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:58 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Perhaps the effect is cumulative. Or Mercury is in retrograde…
Mercury poisoning is cumulative?
Old 09-04-2023, 06:10 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd stick to that excuse. It's a really good one. Actually the length is irrelevant.
I think that's good advice. Thanks.