Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2023, 06:30 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think we all horde eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:44 PM   #17
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I have about 800 on my main e-reader,a Kobo Libra H2O. About 5 to 6 thousand archived on Dropbox.

Why worry about hoarding ebooks? They don't take up any physical space.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 06:56 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I have about 800 on my main e-reader,a Kobo Libra H2O. About 5 to 6 thousand archived on Dropbox.

Why worry about hoarding ebooks? They don't take up any physical space.
Because we will amass more books then we can read in our lifetimes.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:06 PM   #19
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because we will amass more books then we can read in our lifetimes.

I think everyone that likes to read has that problem. No one will be able to read all they books they want in life. Just enjoy what you do read. 😊
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:52 PM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Perhaps a funeral pyre?
Don't give her ideas.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If you need any more encouragement, hard drives are amazingly cheap these days. 5TB usb drive is $115, a 3.5 inch internal 8TB is $109, and a 2TB laptop drive is $68. That dinky 2TB drive could probably store millions of ebooks.
I have many T of drives. They are just distributed.
(I also found one of my old MFM drives (taller than modern drives). I used to use old drives as Swap drives. Now I have more RAM than all My Windows 9x systems together.

For really large storage needs, maybe the client would let me use the rack (below) I built out. 22 Petabytes of fast access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170830_111327.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	203401  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 10:05 PM   #22
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
For really large storage needs, maybe the client would let me use the rack (below) I built out. 22 Petabytes of fast access.

You mean twenty-two *thousand* TERABYTES!??

How is that even possible!?
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:23 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmm... looks a bit like the last one we installed at work though that was ~2.2 petabytes raw storage so ~2 petabytes actually available. The hardware is a NAS controller and expansion shelf stuffed with 15.6TB NVME drives. It wasn't cheap but was supposed to meet our data storage needs for the next 5 years.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:26 AM   #24
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
last time I looked, the highest capacity NVME sticks had 8TB...
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:49 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
About 5 to 6 thousand archived on Dropbox. .
Make a local backup or two. Dropbox isn't an archive. It's someone else's server designed for sharing. Those could be gone today.

That would take up only a few percent of a cheap USB HDD (stores better in a drawer than SSD or USB /SD card memeory).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:59 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(I also found one of my old MFM drives (taller than modern drives).
Good luck on finding a controller and also a PC with an ISA slot. I think I sent my last to recycling last year. I might have one slim PC left somewhere with Win98, CD drive and IDE HDD that has ISA. You'd not fit any MFM controller in it that I ever saw.
In late 1990s one of the kids had a PC with a full height 10 M byte MFM drive for a short while, i.e. size of two full size CD/DVD drive bays. My first HDD was a 5M byte on an Apple II that had its own PSU.

I found a photo of a development lab about 1983 a couple of weeks ago. Intel development system running IsisII and "cake cover" style 5 M Byte HDD pack (winchester?) in a floor standing box almost half the size of a filing cabinet. The desk also had the ACT Sirius 1 PC, which was seriously more advanced than the IBM PC in 1981. 800x 400 matte graphics screen vs goldfish bowl text only (CGA was an option). Sound, clock, I/O built in. 1.2M or 2.4M floppy vs 180K or 360K on IBM in 1981.

Largest SSDs here are 512G NVMe and HDDs is only 6 T. All PC/Laptop with SSD also have SATA HDD for /usr and /home

Last edited by Quoth; 08-28-2023 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:10 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Good luck on finding a controller and also a PC with an ISA slot. I think I sent my last to recycling last year. I might have one slim PC left somewhere with Win98, CD drive and IDE HDD that has ISA. You'd not fit any MFM controller in it that I ever saw.
In late 1990s one of the kids had a PC with a full height 10 M byte MFM drive for a short while, i.e. size of two full size CD/DVD drive bays. My first HDD was a 5M byte on an Apple II that had its own PSU.

I found a photo of a development lab about 1983 a couple of weeks ago. Intel development system running IsisII and "cake cover" style 5 M Byte HDD pack (winchester?) in a floor standing box almost half the size of a filing cabinet. The desk also had the ACT Sirius 1 PC, which was seriously more advanced than the IBM PC in 1981. 800x 400 matte graphics screen vs goldfish bowl text only (CGA was an option). Sound, clock, I/O built in. 1.2M or 2.4M floppy vs 180K or 360K on IBM in 1981.

Largest SSDs here are 512G NVMe and HDDs is only 6 T. All PC/Laptop with SSD also have SATA HDD for /usr and /home
Largest Hard drive I've found on Amazon UK is 22TB. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BSFRNQTF?th=1

Largest M.2 SSD is 8TB. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BFDKPWPR?th=1

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-28-2023 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

By here I meant my Library. Not Online etc. Amazon though is mostly domestic/retail.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:37 AM   #29
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
I may have hording issue with ebooks. I have 150 books plus on kendal, some of them are series of books. Other ebooks, probally 400 books and still counting??

The software is not so bad I guess, Moon reader Pro on my phone with kendal, and a sd card that has all of my books not on kendal. Just ebooks in epub format.

Windows 10 desktop computer, I have calibre, and Ice book reader Pro (while its no longer supported and updated) I bought 10 years ago for 100 bucks. Was stop being supported and updated 6 months ago maybe a year. Works amazing on windows 10. Oddly, Ice Book Reader works better and more well behaved than Calibre which is free.

Moon Reader Pro on android supports google voices that are free, so all my epubs can be read out loud. Calibre, and Ice Book Reader on windows, Well I bought 6 or 7 voices for them, they sound pretty real, so with wireless headphones, I can just listen to ebooks anytime I want.

Oh, and Audible Ebooks, Prob 60 of them. Just been working on all this since 2012 or sooner.

Lots of my epubs are duplicates, kendal books with drm removed, and converted to epub. That way I can read them with what ever software I want to.

While I wont go into details, all I can say is it seems like the new Kendal DRM has been figured out. I have NO idea how its done, I just have a way to find said books pretty easy. Thats pretty much all I will ever say about that.

Most of Kendal books are 5 bucks at most. I refuse to pay 15 bucks for a stupid ebook, if I have to have it that bad, sooner or later it will show up in the wild.
That’s not a lot I have a little over 1100 kindle ebooks, 400 kobo and 300 Nook ebooks. Around 400 audiobooks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:53 PM   #30
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
LOL, welcome to the ebook hoarders club. I'm quickly closing in on 2600 ebooks!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote