Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a favorite ereader brand?
I have only ever used one brand and am not interested in any others 19 13.10%
I have only ever used one brand, but will probably try others in the future 15 10.34%
I have tried several brands and prefer one of them 62 42.76%
I have tried several brands and have more than one favorite 29 20.00%
I have tried several brands and my favorites change constantly 6 4.14%
I use several brands and have no favorite among them 10 6.90%
I don't use eink, never been interested 0 0%
I don't use eink, tried it and didn't like it 3 2.07%
I don't use eink, but will probably try it someday 1 0.69%
I prefer paper books over ebooks 0 0%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2023, 06:24 PM   #46
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Using only Kindles as I use Whispersync extensively,...
Same. I'm lucky in that I don't really care much about size, OS, or page-turn differences. So it comes down to the ease of getting internet articles pushed to any of my Kindles from any device via Whispersync. That includes the easy conversion and delivery of PDFs (e-mail to your Kindle address with only two things in it: the PDF as an attachment and "convert" as the Subject).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 06:09 PM   #47
VixPeritus
VixPeritus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Bought a Kobo Libra 2 late last year and really don't feel the need to buy outside of Kobo in the future. This would change if Kobo implemented stronger DRM protection like Amazon did, as I like to strip purchases of DRM and back everything up.
VixPeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2023, 08:50 PM   #48
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I started with Sony. When they got old and Overdrive no longer worked with them I bought a Kobo . The Kobo occasionally won't actually sync a copy of a library book and requires using my PC to get a book. So I also have a Tolino which has direct Overdrive accessb(useful if I will be away from home)

My Kobo is better for choice of fonts etc. It also has a better search function. Tolino has the consistent page numbering I like.

Also, I tend to read too quickly and then need to flip back a few pages and check something. On my Tolino if I quickly flip back a few pages, a button will appear at the bottom allowing me to quickly return to where i was before I started flipping back.

So both have their good points.

I'm not a fan of Amazon and have never owned a Kindle.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 12:27 AM   #49
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Pocketbook Color has both the SD-card slot and 300 DPI (black and white; the color screen is probably less).
I'll check out the color readers, that may be exactly what I'm looking for thanks for bringing this option to my attention.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:16 AM   #50
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I use kindles, Nooks, Kobos, Boox. not sure why i have so many.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2023, 04:09 AM   #51
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
My first ereader was an Aztak Ezreader. Since that one, which didn't last more than a couple years, I've used Kindle's exclusively. Though I do like the look of the Kobo Libra 2, but I can't justify the expense of buying another ereader when I really don't need more than one.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:41 PM   #52
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I use kindles, Nooks, Kobos, Boox. not sure why i have so many.

I’m the same. I have them all except for Boox and use them all quite regularly. They all have their good and bad points.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:20 PM   #53
FrenchBookworm
FrenchBookworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle 2022
I started with a Sony and after that I've always had Kindles but I'm thinking of buying a Kobo as well to get out of the amazon ecosystem nbow and again (and be able to borrow books form my local library).
FrenchBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBookworm View Post
I started with a Sony and after that I've always had Kindles but I'm thinking of buying a Kobo as well to get out of the amazon ecosystem nbow and again (and be able to borrow books form my local library).
Once you go Kobo, you'll be giving up your Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:57 PM   #55
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm precocious, I gave up on Kindle without ever trying it.
Just the amount of analytics was a turn-off.

OTOH, I never turn on WiFi on any of my readers anyway.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:14 PM   #56
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I've only had three ereaders. Two Sony's and one Kobo. I got the Kobo because it has buttons which I prefer.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:24 AM   #57
FrenchBookworm
FrenchBookworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once you go Kobo, you'll be giving up your Kindle.
Haha ok, Black Friday is coming so I'll keep you posted. I'm curious to try another brand and be able to make comparisons...I was thinking maybe a Libra 2 (I do like buttons) or even a Sage for the bigger screen.
FrenchBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:35 AM   #58
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I've only had two - a Nook Simple Touch and a Kindle Paperwhite 3.

I don't generally replace things that don't need replacing (but sometimes I do - it depends on my mood). So my purchases of competing devices are usually few and far between. Meaning that the technology has advanced so much between purchases that of course, I will like the newer model better. And I do like my Paperwhite better than the Nook. Because it has a backlight that the Nook lacked. Other features - DPI, bezel width, buttons, special software features - I really don't care much about. I will learn to use what I have. Screen size might matter, bigger for better readability, smaller for better portability. So it's not set in stone that my next eReader will be larger. Because I like to carry them around.

I will replace the Paperwhite when it breaks and I need a new eReader. For now, it meets my needs just fine. And I certainly hope that the new model that I eventually buy I will like better than the old model. If not, then that means I made a bad purchase decision. I will research the current eReader offerings when I need a new one, and make a decision at that time.

I consider eReaders a commodity item. All do the same thing, with very little to differentiate between them. I might notice some differences between models, but nothing that greatly affects functionality. The color temperature of the light can be changed? Some think that's very important, but I couldn't care less. As long as it's got a light, my eyes will adjust and adapt to the color temperature of it just fine. But I don't read books for eight hours straight in the dark where things like the specifics of the light might make a difference. I'm more of an incidental reader, I just read whenever I feel like it, sometimes with long pauses between sessions - I don't plan daily sessions and times (but I have friends that do that, so I know it's not unheard of).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote