Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a favorite ereader brand?
I have only ever used one brand and am not interested in any others 19 13.10%
I have only ever used one brand, but will probably try others in the future 15 10.34%
I have tried several brands and prefer one of them 62 42.76%
I have tried several brands and have more than one favorite 29 20.00%
I have tried several brands and my favorites change constantly 6 4.14%
I use several brands and have no favorite among them 10 6.90%
I don't use eink, never been interested 0 0%
I don't use eink, tried it and didn't like it 3 2.07%
I don't use eink, but will probably try it someday 1 0.69%
I prefer paper books over ebooks 0 0%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2023, 01:17 AM   #1
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Do you have a favorite ereader brand?

Basically what it says on the tin.

As for myself, I was a Kindle user for many years (2011-2018 I used only Kindles). Sonys were too expensive for me then and Kobos had no physical buttons until late 2018; so it was Kindles. I was never much invested in the Kindle ecosystem, though. I did buy ebooks from Amazon, but also from many other stores, and I was a heavy Calibre user since my early ereading days. I never used Whispersync much, even when I had several Kindles. I preferred to sideload my books from Calibre.

In 2019 I tried a Nook and a Kobo. The Nook was a nice device, but I never grew used to the software - too slow and too few customization options for my liking. At first I was not wildly enthusiastic about the Kobo either, but I warmed to it more and more over the next couple of years; in 2022 I sold my last Kindle, the Oasis 3. From then on Kobo has been my favorite brand. I like how much you can customize your Kobos and how they integrate with Calibre. Of course Kobo has its faults - their devices tend to be buggier than Kindles, for example (not that it's necessarily always the case; my first Kobo, the Libra H2O, had no bugs, but my later Kobos have occasionally had some. Nothing too bothersome, though).

I may try another brand again in the future; I don't consider myself quite married to Kobo yet. So who knows, I may find another favorite someday.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:24 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I like Kobo because it most closely fits my style of sideloading books via Calibre and letting me control collections and series from there.

Nook hardware is almsot always impressive to me. And their software worked enough for me. Since they've removed hyphenation though, I like it less.

Last is Kindle. It has great features, but they are not features I would use. I find the UI clunky, though I admit it may be because Kindle is the brand I tried last.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 03:30 AM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I did research before buying my first e-reader, and I picked Kobo due to the openness of the platform. The level of customisation in Nickel is good enough for me, especially with mods like NickelMenu, and I can remove DRM to ensure I actually own all the books I buy. I don't see any need to try other brands at this point, but I certainly will if Kobo becomes less open in the future.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:36 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've used Sony, Amazon, B&N, and Kobo. My preference is Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 05:54 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've used maybe
6 models of Kindle (some only for a short while). I bought a DXG cheap when Amazon remaindered them and worst gadget I ever bought new. But I'd given the Paperwhite to wife
3 x Sony (PRS-T1 was worst, PRS-350 still good, T2 with small grandchild) and shame Sony long gone.
An iRiver Story Cover
reMarkable (the two models run same FW and earlier one better to write on and has buttons).
Nook Simple Touch
3 x Binatone LCD
6x models of Kobo and I still have four. My Original H2O was my first decent eReader.

Many of these ^^^ bought second-hand.

Kobo is best.
I'd rate Nia as OK value for a small one, Libra 2 for mid range and 8″ Sage as best all round eReader and better for notes than an Elipsa (which I only use to check PDFs for POD).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 06:05 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used Sony and Nooks, but now I use my Surface Pro. I like being able to carry Calibre with me and have all my book info at hand. My wife thinks it's too heavy, but it feels just like the hard covers I used to carry.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I've had devices that could read ebooks going back to a Newton. Kobo's my favourite brand now.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:55 AM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Tried Kobo, Nook and Kindle and have stuck with Kindle. Organization is the biggest limitation of Kindle, but I've worked it out tolerably. My NookGlo3 is great for reading at night.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:04 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Tried Kobo, Nook and Kindle and have stuck with Kindle. Organization is the biggest limitation of Kindle, but I've worked it out tolerably. My NookGlo3 is great for reading at night.
I think the Nook Glowlight 3 has the best warm light screen.

I think the build quality is best on Kindles.

I like the Kobos and the pre-Kobo Tolinos were nice.

If the Sony PRS-T3 had a front light it would probably be my favorite.

So, I've tried Kindles, Kobos, Sonys, Tolinos, Nooks, a couple others (like the EZReader) and PocketBooks. My favorites are the PocketBooks. Mostly because of the features, like built-in ADE and the buttons.

(I've still got too many eReaders.)

Last edited by rcentros; 08-19-2023 at 10:08 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:33 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've had devices that could read ebooks going back to a Newton. Kobo's my favourite brand now.
Possibly the first portable device with an ARM. Jobs was crazy to kill it, but the handwriting was over hyped.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:25 AM   #11
SleepyCatgirl
SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyCatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense A9, Onyx Tab Ultra(Broken), Kobo Clara HD
Honestly, it depends what I want.
So, battery life, then Kobo very much so.
Device that does a lot? Onyx.
Reading on the go + calling/SMS? Hisense.
SleepyCatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:39 AM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Kobo, for the following reasons by priority:
  1. 7.8"/8"
  2. More of my "serious" library is available for direct download
  3. Ability to customize margins so the text takes up the whole screen
  4. Ability to manage collections efficiently
...but really, anything that's out there today would be entirely satisfactory.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think the Nook Glowlight 3 has the best warm light screen.

I think the build quality is best on Kindles.

I like the Kobos and the pre-Kobo Tolinos were nice.

If the Sony PRS-T3 had a front light it would probably be my favorite.

So, I've tried Kindles, Kobos, Sonys, Tolinos, Nooks, a couple others (like the EZReader) and PocketBooks. My favorites are the PocketBooks. Mostly because of the features, like built-in ADE and the buttons.

(I've still got too many eReaders.)
The Kindles are not the best build quality. There are lots of well built Readers. Sony, Kobo, Amazon, B&N, Pocketbook, Onyx, and others. But not Bookeen . Bookeen tended to have the screen break at random.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I didn't buy a Kobo Aura H2O, I would have tried a Pocketbook Reader back then.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have had 3 brands of readers (e-ink).
Each got better performance than the one before.
Astak (2) EPUB
Kindle (1) AZW3 / Mobi
Kobo (2) EPUB

Kindle will not likely be on my list because of all the steps to make it exclusive

I use a tablet for PDF
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote