Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2023, 05:12 PM   #16
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's just that sometimes I'm impatient and not willing to wait until I've finished one book.
Fair enough.
To be honest, my impatience shines through in a different way. If I want to get it over with and move onto the next book (a sure sign I am not enjoying the book) I skim through it, rather than a full dedicated reading.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Fair enough.
To be honest, my impatience shines through in a different way. If I want to get it over with and move onto the next book (a sure sign I am not enjoying the book) I skim through it, rather than a full dedicated reading.
I sometimes do this with the last 2-3 chapters of a book, but not always. When I've gotten so far in the book, then I've been enjoying it at least to some extent, otherwise I DNF long before.

When I was younger, I very seldom left a book unfinished, but these days it's not at all uncommon.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2023, 05:26 PM   #18
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I don't really understand why you would read 2+ books at a time? What does that achieve?
For me, I prefer to read difficult books that will teach me something during the day while my brain is fresh, and at night my brain is too tired to continue, but I'd still like to be able to read something, so I may have a second, easier book going for that purpose.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:15 PM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I don't do it as often as I used to, but if I'm reading some denser nonfiction, or heavy fiction, I will oftenhave some fluff fiction on the go to take a break
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:42 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
A book had to be really horrible read for me to abandon it when I was reading on paper. With eBooks I find myself needing less of an excuse to dnf.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2023, 04:30 PM   #21
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I usually have at least two, sometimes three books going at the same time. One non-fiction and one or two fiction. Two fictions would be if one of them is a bit heavier for some reason (could be because of content or in a language I'm not fluent in). In that case I might have something light in my own language (Swedish) as well.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
No, though on occasion while I'm reading a book I might also be reading a technical one on the side, but I do not consider that "reading multiple books at the time". I like to feel immersed in the story I'm reading, and having multiple books in progress at the same time would detract from the experience.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:26 PM   #23
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
I did this for a while and it was nice having two books with different moods to switch between. But then I would sometimes favor one over the other and by the time I returned to the other I had forgotten some chunks and need to reread it. So I stopped.
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:05 AM   #24
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
I almost never do this, although currently I sort of am ― I've been reading a Seabury Quinn story collection called The Horror on the Links at the rate of about one story per week while also reading other novels one at a time. The intro to the Quinn omnibus suggests reading it this way, in order to make the experience more like it would have been if, say, one were subscribing to "Weird Tales" back in the 1920s, so I'm just following instructions.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:17 AM   #25
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
I also normally read multiple books at once, as different media lend themselves more naturally to different devices and different times of the day. I tend to have:
  1. A non-fiction book which I read on the Scribe (especially if there are images and diagrams), typically during the day
  2. A fiction book which I read on the Oasis, mostly in the evening (good size for reading in the bed)
  3. An audiobook to listen to while in transit or when I walk the dog
Sometimes 2 and 3 will be the same when the audio version is not too expensive, but it does mean paying twice for the same book so often they'll be different books.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #26
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I have many books going on at the same time. I read in many different languages, so I typically have one book open in each language. My main devices are Android ereaders, so I can just use one app per language. How many I'm actively reading any given day/week depends on my mood and energy level. Usually, it's 2-4 different books (fiction).

Additionally, I use my Libra 2 for English literature and non-fiction. Mostly for relatively light reading in the evening when I'm too tired for anything else.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 03:40 AM   #27
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviscosi View Post
I almost never do this, although currently I sort of am ― I've been reading a Seabury Quinn story collection called The Horror on the Links at the rate of about one story per week while also reading other novels one at a time. The intro to the Quinn omnibus suggests reading it this way, in order to make the experience more like it would have been if, say, one were subscribing to "Weird Tales" back in the 1920s, so I'm just following instructions.
This reminds me of another use case for reading more than one book at once: reading epistolary novels "as they happen". A good example of this is Dracula Daily, essentially a mailing list where any letter or note in Bram Stoker's Dracula is posted "in real time" on the actual date of its appearance in the novel.

I have to say that, as interesting as the concept is, it probably works better for novels with frequent activity; in Dracula, sometimes several weeks will go by before a new letter appears, and it's easy to lose the momentum.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:10 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
This reminds me of another use case for reading more than one book at once: reading epistolary novels "as they happen". A good example of this is Dracula Daily, essentially a mailing list where any letter or note in Bram Stoker's Dracula is posted "in real time" on the actual date of its appearance in the novel.

I have to say that, as interesting as the concept is, it probably works better for novels with frequent activity; in Dracula, sometimes several weeks will go by before a new letter appears, and it's easy to lose the momentum.
It's easy to lose momentum reading Dracula like a normal book because it's just so darn boring.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:51 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's easy to lose momentum reading Dracula like a normal book because it's just so darn boring.
It's pointless to say a book is boring without giving reasons.

"It's boring."
"No, it isn't."
"Yes, it is."

Saying why a book is boring might spark a discussion. It might even win people over.

Now me, you'd have to pay me a significant sum to slog through a Star Trek novel. I also find the franchise to be unendurably and offensively sexist, yet others are willing to overlook it. I realize that's me and there's no point in going down that road.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
A good example of this is Dracula Daily, essentially a mailing list where any letter or note in Bram Stoker's Dracula is posted "in real time" on the actual date of its appearance in the novel.
I thought The Dracula Daily was Transylvania's #1 source for news...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote