Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-09-2021, 02:58 AM   #1
buffygurl
buffygurl began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Alfa ebook manager

I decided to try alpa for my audiobooks, this website has been a touchstone for me since i started slowely changing over to ebooks.
I'm sad to see that there isn't a board for alfa here.
Anybody have any good leads for the next best place?
Thanks
buffygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:15 AM   #2
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I checked it, seems nice but there is no reason to buy it. It doesn't provide any added value over calibre.

While design might be enough sometimes, its design isn't really that special either.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Hmm, I looked at the web site for Alfa, and can't really get info because the server stops responding. I see the pricing, $10, $20, $30, and yearly updates aren't free? If I want the same options Calibre provides for free, I need to buy the $30 version? And pay for updates?

I see a reference to 11 reviews. And what does this mean:

"Alfa is the best Calibre alternative for those who like comfort"
"Play with realistic 3D-models of your favorite books"

11 reviews, which you can't read. There is no info about the company behind this program. I see nothing to make me think this would be a good or safe program to install on my PC.
I've no need to play with 3D models of my books.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why just the other day I was thinking to myself, "If only there were a way for me to play with realistic 3-D models of my favorite books".
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
PC only, not free, a load of useless features. Between Calibre and LibraryThing, nothing I can't already do, and if I want to play with a 3-D model of my favourite book, I can get it off the shelf.

Wasn't somebody recently trolling some ebook software?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And we lose all the very nice plugins created for Calibre. And there is no editor.

There's nothing functionally that's better then Calibre.

Given that hardly anybody who uses MR uses Alfa, I would say there's not enough members who would use such a forum.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-09-2021 at 04:31 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:13 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that hardly anybody who uses MR uses Alfa, I would say there's not enough members who would use such a forum.
I tried Alfa long ago (10 years or so) for cataloging my paper books. Calibre was then not quite yet what it is today (no editor yet, among other things). But I soon gave up, because Calibre kept getting better and there was just no point in using Alfa.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-10-2021 at 04:17 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #8
benevideslaren
benevideslaren began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 606 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And we lose all the very nice plugins created for Calibre. And there is no editor.

There's nothing functionally that's better then Calibre.

Hi I'm new here. on my own I can say that very few people really use Alfa, I agree with you. what would you personally recommend?
benevideslaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by benevideslaren View Post
Hi I'm new here. on my own I can say that very few people really use Alfa, I agree with you. what would you personally recommend?
I suspect most of the people in these forums would recommend calibre for ebook management for OSX, Linux and Windows platforms.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #10
buffygurl

I guess i wasn't clear, i was saying that i enjoy this board but i have to find another. Does anybody know of a different board that covers alfa
I already bought a lifetime. I was hoping somebody would know something
Thanks
Old 06-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
buffygurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why just the other day I was thinking to myself, "If only there were a way for me to play with realistic 3-D models of my favorite books".
This is very funny, and that's a really stupid thing it offers
Old 06-18-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
With only a handful of users of that app/program, it would seem there isn't a huge need for a forum. Maybe you could start one, since you think so highly of the program. Or ask the developer of that program...

Nothing I read makes it enticing, the lack of actual info makes it suspect, and not anything I would allow on my computer, let alone pay for.

Calibre is free, and very well supported and documented. There is no comparison in my view.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-18-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffygurl View Post
I guess i wasn't clear, i was saying that i enjoy this board but i have to find another. Does anybody know of a different board that covers alfa
I already bought a lifetime. I was hoping somebody would know something
Thanks
I know of no forum like this one for Alfa eBook Manager.

What is it about Alfa that you like better then Calibre?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Interesting, Alfa might actually fits my need.

Mainly this : https://www.alfaebooks.com/help/file_manager
Makes me think you actually have a say as to where you wanna put your files.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Interesting, Alfa might actually fits my need.
Mainly this : https://www.alfaebooks.com/help/file_manager
Makes me think you actually have a say as to where you wanna put your files.
Yes, if you are really hung up about having your books where you think you want them instead of having Calibre handle it all for you, that's the main difference between the two.

Me, I no longer care where my book files are. I used to, years ago, but I'm quite happy by now to have Calibre handle it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alfa, audible book, websites