Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
New member and a few questions please

Hi everyone,

I am new so if I am asking these questions in the wrong place, could somebody direct me to where I should post please?

1. I have subscribed to this thread and its sub forums, how do I subscribe to other threads on this website?

2. I introduced myself in the "introductory forum" but I do not know how to find it. Can anybody tell me how I locate it please?

3. For my reading, I use Calibre because I like to read in e-pub format and I like its interface. However, when I tried to get a particular e-book from its shop, for some reason I could not buy or download it. I also have "Nook for PC" and I had the same trouble with this when trying to buy and download the same book even though it had in big bright orange letters "buy it now." Would anybody know the reason why this is or what I may be doing wrong?

4. My final question is this. If and when I do get to download this book and all I can do is download it in "Nook for PC" for example, is there a way I can transfer or import it from there and place it in the Calibre software interface?

Thanks

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
A thread is a set of posts with a title, like "New member and a few questions please". Threads don't have sub-forums. I don't think you can subscribe to a whole forum, just individual threads. A forum is a set of posts, like "General Discussions".

To subscribe to a thread, click on the "Thread Tools" button at the beginning of the page (on the menu bar with "Search This Thread", etc.), and select "Subscribe to this thread".

Books from B&N will have DRM, and would have to have that stripped before you could convert the book.

I don't know about books in the Calibre shop, but I assume someone will. You can always ask in the Calibre forum.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Lisa3
Old Dog
Lisa3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
I am also new and can't figure how to post a new thread.

How do I match the INPUT format when Calbrie saves to disk?....Don't want sorts on title... but by author first....

INPUT: Deaver, Jeffrey - The Clockworks.mobi (Match OUTPUT to this input)

OUTPUT: Clockworks, The - Jeffrey Deaver (NO!)
Lisa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello Newbies. You will probably be ignored for a while as everyone is posting about the new Amazon Fire and how Barns & Noble will/should respond.

First - to post a new thread go into one of forums and in the upper left there is a "Post New Thread" button. But it is usually wise to search or read through a few pages of previous posts in case someone else has already started a thread.

Second - Calibri - go to YouTube and search for Calibri and you will find a instructional video. Watching someone add books to the library shows you how the developers thought people would want to work. The manual and screen layout makes much more sense after this.

Third - enjoy. You are with Bibliophiles and we love others with similar ... obsessions. Some members do get into fights (Apple vs Android, Amazon vs Barns N Noble, etc) but this happens wherever passionate people interact so dont let it put you off. We are all still friends at the end of the day.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa3 View Post
I am also new and can't figure how to post a new thread.

How do I match the INPUT format when Calbrie saves to disk?....Don't want sorts on title... but by author first....

INPUT: Deaver, Jeffrey - The Clockworks.mobi (Match OUTPUT to this input)

OUTPUT: Clockworks, The - Jeffrey Deaver (NO!)
Well, first ask in the "Calibre" forum.

Next pay no attention to FatDog..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post
Hi everyone,
3. For my reading, I use Calibre because I like to read in e-pub format and I like its interface. However, when I tried to get a particular e-book from its shop, for some reason I could not buy or download it. I also have "Nook for PC" and I had the same trouble with this when trying to buy and download the same book even though it had in big bright orange letters "buy it now." Would anybody know the reason why this is or what I may be doing wrong?

4. My final question is this. If and when I do get to download this book and all I can do is download it in "Nook for PC" for example, is there a way I can transfer or import it from there and place it in the Calibre software interface?
"Its shop?" Calibre does not have a store. As far as your problem with Nook's software, I do not know. You need to supply more information.

As far as your fourth question, yes, you just have to click the add book button in Calibre and locate the ebook file on your computer. However, you will not be able to do much with the ebook in Calibre, because of the DRM. 99% of the time when you buy a book, especially through B&N as you mentioned, it will have DRM on it. DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, and basically is a way of restricting what you can and cannot do with the file. Anything that is not authorized to edit or view a file, cannot make changes to it. Calibre kind of works around this, by not actually altering a file when you change the tags, but rather just remembering your changes, and passing that info along with the ebook at time of transfer. You also will not be able to read a book with DRM in Calibre.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
"Its shop?" Calibre does not have a store.
What I meant by this is; at the top of Calibre, there is an option to "Get Books." When you click on this and type the name of the book or author in the query bar, it brings up a list of books in various formats from various booksellers. For my particular book, I noticed there were three with a red padlock on them. The padlocks were locked. There was one for the Amazon DE Kindle, one for e-books.com (ePub for Digital Editor) and one from WH Smith UK (that was a paperback I think). There was also one there from Barnes & Noble Nook showing a blue circle with a white "?" on it.

When the cursor was hovered over the locked padlock and the Barnes & Noble blue circle, there was a notice telling me that this book may have DRM restrictions. What does this actually mean and can I get over it?

Quote:
As far as your problem with Nook's software, I do not know. You need to supply more information.
To give you more information, I have downloaded the "Nook for PC" interface. I typed in the name of the book and the author I wanted from the "Shop" section from within the Nook for PC interface. It brought up the book I wanted. It was telling me it was a "Nook Book" (eBook). I clicked on the particular book I wanted and it showed up with no problem from Barnes & Noble. There was a bright orange bar with the words "Buy Now" on it, so I clicked this and nothing happened. It would not let me buy this book. What is happening here and why can I not download this book? Do I need to download some other type of software for it to work and if so, what?
Thank you

HB
Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum.

Thanks.
did you see the above-quoted post?

Quote:
What I meant by this is; at the top of Calibre, there is an option to "Get Books." When you click on this and type the name of the book or author in the query bar, it brings up a list of books in various formats from various booksellers. For my particular book, I noticed there were three with a red padlock on them. The padlocks were locked. There was one for the Amazon DE Kindle, one for e-books.com (ePub for Digital Editor) and one from WH Smith UK (that was a paperback I think). There was also one there from Barnes & Noble Nook showing a blue circle with a white "?" on it.

When the cursor was hovered over the locked padlock and the Barnes & Noble blue circle, there was a notice telling me that this book may have DRM restrictions. What does this actually mean and can I get over it?

To give you more information, I have downloaded the "Nook for PC" interface. I typed in the name of the book and the author I wanted from the "Shop" section from within the Nook for PC interface. It brought up the book I wanted. It was telling me it was a "Nook Book" (eBook). I clicked on the particular book I wanted and it showed up with no problem from Barnes & Noble. There was a bright orange bar with the words "Buy Now" on it, so I clicked this and nothing happened. It would not let me buy this book. What is happening here and why can I not download this book? Do I need to download some other type of software for it to work and if so, what?
Thank you

HB
enjoy
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It means that the ebook is encoded and only authorized programs on authorized machines may access any of the content in the ebook. Calibre by itself cannot read or write to DRM protected books. The only real way to "get over" DRM, is removing it, which may be illegal to do in your area. You can have the book in Calibre, and transfer it to other devices, but only an authorized nook, or an authorized copy of the nook software can do anything with it.

Quote:
Thank you
When I've tried the Nook windows app, it launched a web browser window, to let me buy. I clicked the Buy Now button, it then had a popover asking me to log in, I logged in, and then it had a popover asking for confirmation. Do you have an adblocker or something in your browser?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
When I've tried the Nook windows app, it launched a web browser window, to let me buy. I clicked the Buy Now button, it then had a popover asking me to log in, I logged in, and then it had a popover asking for confirmation. Do you have an adblocker or something in your browser?
Hellmark,

Thank you kindly for your response.

Mine also launches a web browser window just as yours. I checked and it is telling me I am already signed in. Still when I click the "Buy Now" button, it will not let me buy the book and does not activate.

What do you mean by "adblocker or something?" Where will I find this and what does it do?

Could it be something in my Internet Explorer 9 that needs to be disabled somehow so I can then buy and download the e-book? If so, what could it be and where would I look?

If I do eventually fathom this out and the website lets me download the e-book, will it download automatically to my Nook for PC interface? If not, where will it download to?

What would be the most likely thing in Internet Explorer 9 that maybe preventing me from buying the book?

Thank you

HB
Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Hellmark,

Thank you kindly for your response.

Mine also launches a web browser window just as yours. I checked and it is telling me I am already signed in. Still when I click the "Buy Now" button, it will not let me buy the book and does not activate.

What do you mean by "adblocker or something?" Where will I find this and what does it do?

Could it be something in my Internet Explorer 9 that needs to be disabled somehow so I can then buy and download the e-book? If so, what could it be and where would I look?

If I do eventually fathom this out and the website lets me download the e-book, will it download automatically to my Nook for PC interface? If not, where will it download to?

What would be the most likely thing in Internet Explorer 9 that maybe preventing me from buying the book?

Thank you

HB
Yeah, it is very well possible that you have something on Internet explorer that is preventing you from buying the book. As far as where to look, I cannot tell you, as I do not have a computer with IE9.

When you do buy the book, you can launch the Nook software, and it will list the book in there, and you can start reading right away.

Like I said before, it could be you have an adblocker, which is a plugin designed to stop certain types of popup or banner ads.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I don't have Internet Explorer 9, but in my real life I am in tech support and every day I am streaming into other people's systems that have it. I also don't know about the B&N Nook store. If the problem is a pop-up blocker, then when you click "Buy Now" and nothing happens, look at the top of the window and see if there's a little error message saying "a pop-up was blocked, click here to allow" (or something like that). You click on that line, and it asks if you want to allow the pop-up just this once, or always for this site. Choose always for this site. (Because I expect you will want to buy more books in the future, right?) Once you've allowed B&N to give you pop-ups, try again.

Another questions that may help other people here help you, is if you tell us what country you are in. There are a lot of geographical restrictions on the various books and bookstores, so you may be having trouble because of where you live. And if this is the case, MobileRead members who live in your country may be able to give advice.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard

Yeah, I totally didnt think of geo restriction. It could have not allowed the sale to go through because they're not allowed to sell where you are. Now, if you're in the US, or something like that, then I'm not sure what is going on.