Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-05-2022, 04:54 AM   #46
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you don't have a Plus subscription, is it possible for someone with a Plus subscription to be able to use your books as part of the recommendation for a Buddy Read?
Yes. Did you forget that we tested this in August? I asked the algorithm for suggestions if the two of us wanted to do a buddy read, and got some SF and fantasy (some of which looked interesting) and a surprising amount of non-fiction, which neither of us read a lot of.

In case this is confusing for others:
  • Like Uncle Robin said, all users get recommendations
  • All users can start a buddy read (mini book club/read along) for a specific book, and ask the algorithm to suggest users who might be interested in that book
  • Paying users can enter a list of user names, and ask the algorithm for books that might be interesting for all of them
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:04 AM   #47
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Possible Challenge Topics [rough draft]
I like these (and I'd ignore your rule #2 -- I'm looking for new things ).

I wonder if having two themes per month will hinder, not help your goal of potential buddy reads:

Quote:
I am thinking of doing BROAD monthly themes that anyone can add books to. The more books people add, the more likely it is to generate a potential buddy read.
I'm guessing it will be difficult to attract a lot of people, given the low interest for book clubs here right now, and with two different themes each month the participants will be spread even more thinly, making it harder to find each other.

Are you thinking of having threads here to discuss the challenge? One per month, or one mega thread for it all?
Old 11-05-2022, 07:15 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post

I wonder if having two themes per month will hinder, not help your goal of potential buddy reads:

I'm guessing it will be difficult to attract a lot of people, given the low interest for book clubs here right now, and with two different themes each month the participants will be spread even more thinly, making it harder to find each other.

Are you thinking of having threads here to discuss the challenge? One per month, or one mega thread for it all?
What I'd like to see is recommendations from SG when we have everyone's book lists. See if what the system comes up with is acceptable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #49
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post

I was thinking of just having a discussion thread, much like we have one for the Goodreads challenges here. But if the challenge is up early and users can start adding potential books, then the books might interest others.

I think my goal is more TBR-based than buddy read/book club-based. It would just be kind of an accountability challenge. I loved the book clubs here when they were flourishing, but they are too much work for very little return.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 06:32 AM   #50
hildea
Wizard

Quote:
What I'd like to see is recommendations from SG when we have everyone's book lists. See if what the system comes up with is acceptable.
I'm curious too, lets try that in a thread specific to that.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a good book to read for a buddy read that I just started reading and so far it's good. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Quote:
Meet Thursday Next, literary detective without equal, fear or boyfriend

Fans of Douglas Adams and P. G. Wodehouse will love visiting Jasper Fforde's Great Britain, circa 1985, when time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously: it’s a bibliophile’s dream. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection. But when someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature and plucks Jane Eyre from the pages of Brontë's novel, Thursday is faced with the challenge of her career. Fforde's ingenious fantasy—enhanced by a Web site that re-creates the world of the novel—unites intrigue with English literature in a delightfully witty mix.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:40 AM   #52
hildea
Wizard

Quote:
I have a good book to read for a buddy read that I just started reading and so far it's good. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
I've read it and liked it, but I'm not in the mood for rereading it right now. If you want a buddy read you might try to reach out to strangers recommended by Storygraph. I've done that twice (invited the maximum of 8 people). The first time two of them joined for a good and interesting discussion. The second time noone joined. So it's a bit hit and miss
Old 11-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #53
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I read some of the Fforde mysteries years ago. I dropped them when romance intruded.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:58 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I read some of the Fforde mysteries years ago. I dropped them when romance intruded.
I have not gotten that far. Still reading the first book.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:58 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I have not gotten that far. Still reading the first book.
I seem to recall that you don’t like the “classics”. That is, I’m positive. The phrase “moldy oldies” comes to mind. So I’m wondering how enjoyable these books can be if you don’t get the literary references or if you didn’t enjoy the underlying works.

I was going to ask if you’d read Jane Eyre and then realized I could find out. No, apparently. At least you didn’t participate in the discussion.

I was charmed by this series but I don’t really get the point of reading it if you didn’t read and enjoy the classics it riffs on.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #56
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Mobileread SG TBR Challen

The challenge is up and running for anyone who wants to participate. You can find the challenge HERE or just search for Mobileread under the challenges page.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:22 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I seem to recall that you don’t like the “classics”. That is, I’m positive. The phrase “moldy oldies” comes to mind. So I’m wondering how enjoyable these books can be if you don’t get the literary references or if you didn’t enjoy the underlying works.

I was going to ask if you’d read Jane Eyre and then realized I could find out. No, apparently. At least you didn’t participate in the discussion.

I was charmed by this series but I don’t really get the point of reading it if you didn’t read and enjoy the classics it riffs on.
I've seen one of the movies.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:23 AM   #58
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I resurrected my storygraph (or rather created a new profile) at https://app.thestorygraph.com/profile/spocksveganfries. Feel free to send a friend request. I'll also check out the reading challenge thread.
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 04:34 PM   #59
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I resurrected my storygraph (or rather created a new profile) at https://app.thestorygraph.com/profile/spocksveganfries. Feel free to send a friend request. I'll also check out the reading challenge thread.
I accepted your request. I will post the 2024 challenge thread sometime during the first week of December both here and as a challenge on SG.