Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2023, 02:42 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
What's a good way to store quotes from the books you read?

When I read, I'm always at the hunt for lovely bits to highlight and quote. The problem for me is that I find no way to save it in a platform-agnostic way. I know there is Zotero, but it and its competitors are focused at helping researchers, who have entirely different needs than I do. It also doesn't help my search that "quote manager" and "quote management" are specific sales concepts so it's hard to find software.

The best solution I've found so far is sharing a highlight on Apple Notes, as it includes some of the metadata of the book. As someone who uses more than one device to read and who's never had two e-readers of the same brand to date, it's hardly scalable though. As I was thinking about this I've seen that there's a tool called Readwise, but is there any other tool or strategy that you use for this?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:37 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It depends what you mean by "good". It's quite possible to save excerpts in a platform-agnostic way if you're willing to put in the work. Decrypt and decompress the book, and then you can copy/paste any quotes you want into a plain text file that any device can read.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 05:06 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Readwise is too expensive for what you get from it. I'd probably use notion.so with their free plan, or Obsidian if you want to put the work into learning it.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre, then copy extracted stuff elsewhere. Best for Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I use Obsidian to create mind maps of my reading. I like quotes, but I like them better If I can connect them to other quotes from other things I've read. I've attached a screenshot, but each pinpoint is a quote from something I've read this year that is connected to something else I've read in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023 Reading Map.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	204694  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #6
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I use Obsidian to create mind maps of my reading. I like quotes, but I like them better If I can connect them to other quotes from other things I've read. I've attached a screenshot, but each pinpoint is a quote from something I've read this year that is connected to something else I've read in the past.
Can you give some examples on how you connect them? Like, on an emotional level or how stories or themes develop similarly between books?
Old 11-14-2023, 11:04 AM   #7
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Can you give some examples on how you connect them? Like, on an emotional level or how stories or themes develop similarly between books?
Here is a snip of an Obsidian note connecting Joan Didion and Raymond Chandler both talking about the Santa Ana winds in California. Excuse the bracketing, etc., that is the .md language that connects notes in Obsidian.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Santa Ana Example.PNG
Views:	90
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	204695  
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:42 PM   #8
rantanplan
Guru

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2023, 08:38 AM   #9
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I love the way Pocketbook does this in it's default viewer. They have normal highlights feature, then there's Screenshot. With screenshot you just draw a box over your screen, and it captures contents in .png format. Everything reads .png, easy to transfer, captures fonts used when read, font size used, works exactly the same on pdf files and on epub, captures images, diagrams... Few drawbacks, text isn't searchable, and file sizes can be quite large, since it's png.
I usually just transfer whole directories of those notes to desktop and view them in image viewer. It's also possible to open them in Photoshop and create a collage out of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	that brain palma movie 2 .jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	204720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niven, David - Bring On The Empty Horses.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	204721  

Last edited by jackm8; 11-15-2023 at 07:14 PM.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote