Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
eBookwise won't turn on

I think, after three and a half years, that my eBookwise 1150 has finally died. I hadn't used it in a week, and I knew the battery had probably drained. So I plugged it in, but the machine didn't turn on like it normally does. I unplugged it, then plugged it in again. Still nothing. I let it charge for a little while, then pushed the reset button, then tried turning it on. Again, nothing.

I hate to think it's officially dead, because it's been a great reader and I still use it occasionally. So I turn to the experts to ask: is this a problem that can be solved without me buying a new battery and attempting to install it myself--which I don't think I could do since I'm not adept at that sort of thing? Or should I just bid my eBookwise a fond adieu and look into lighting options for my Sony?
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's awful! I've about forgotten eerything I knew and loved about my EBW1150, so the only help I can offer are my wishes that it will resurrect itself for you.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
I think, after three and a half years, that my eBookwise 1150 has finally died. I hadn't used it in a week, and I knew the battery had probably drained. So I plugged it in, but the machine didn't turn on like it normally does. I unplugged it, then plugged it in again. Still nothing. I let it charge for a little while, then pushed the reset button, then tried turning it on. Again, nothing.
Just give it a longer charge, perhaps overnight, and then poke the reset button with a paper clip (without the charger first and then with it as a last resort)!

Hopefully, it will see the light ... er, I mean, you see the light!

Another problem may be that the LCD backlight/contrast might be turned too low, so while "turning it on" try tapping the 'screen rotate' icon in the top-right corner and touching near the top of the LCD touchscreen. If that doesn't work, try "turning it off" and trying the 'screen rotate' icon again (in case it was turned off before). Worth a shot!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ack!

Oh no! I hope its not really dead, though it seems most rechargeable batteries only last a few years.

Will it power on with it plugged into the power outlet?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Oh no! I hope its not really dead, though it seems most rechargeable batteries only last a few years.

Will it power on with it plugged into the power outlet?

Amy
I just tried that, and no, it didn't turn on.

I'm going to give nrapallo's suggestion a try and let it charge overnight, then try to reset it. But I suspect that the battery has died completely.
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
wallflower75
Groupie

Update: Nothing happened. I guess it's time to send it off to be recycled (if I can figure out where to take it).
Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
doh

That is no good! I am guessing a spot that accepts cellphones or computer monitors should be able to recycle it?

Perhaps you can find one on ebay for a reasonable price to replace it? I would be very bummed if my EB1150 broke.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
wallflower75
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
That is no good! I am guessing a spot that accepts cellphones or computer monitors should be able to recycle it?

Perhaps you can find one on ebay for a reasonable price to replace it? I would be very bummed if my EB1150 broke.

Amy
I'd been looking on eBay for a friend of mine who wanted one, and there's really not much of a price difference between the ones there and buying it brand new. At least I have my Sony, but I'm really going to miss the eBookwise.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
My second eBookwise came from kascarlett on ebay. They are new and I tend to think the seller is somehow connected with eBookwise but don't know form sure.

The reader is the newer unit that has 64mb of memory internally, in addition to a smart media card. That means you won't have to suffer the untimely loss of all your ebooks in the middle of a 12 hour shift. I had to actually do something constructive for a change.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Does the back light come on when you plug it in? If you see it flicker at all, the contrast may be all the way down.

Plug it in, tap the page rotate button. Tap 15/16" down from the top edge of the glass, centered left to right. Tap 1 1/8" down from the top, centered left to right. This should center the two sliders. By top edge of the glass, I mean the shiny part of the screen and not the darker area inside that the text shows up in.

Michael
Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
wallflower75
Groupie

There's no flicker at all. Nothing to acknowledge that maybe the contrast is too low. I think it's gone.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
250 Coupe
Groupie

Dang.

When you do a upgrade to the newest ETI firmware, there is mention of a $50 exchange program. If the ebook fails, it will be exchanged for $50. Email eBookwise customer support and ebooktechnologies.com support to see if you can take advantage of it. eBook Technologies is the manufacturer of the reader, http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/devices.htm

If they won't take care of it for you and you want to donate it to science, I'll pay for shipping. If I can get it working again, I'll send it back to you.

Michael