Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Black Friday Deal: Amazon Kindle 2 for $89 [ENDED]

From Gizmodo today:

Quote:
Amazon's own Black Friday deal is a good one: they'll be selling the last-gen-but-still-good Kindle 2 for just $89, starting at Noon EST on Friday.
They don't appear to be specific about whether it is new or refurbished. Quantities are, of course, limited.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-27-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wish we had an indication of how "limited" the quantities are. Are they "black friday" limited, as in "minimum 10 per store," or will they have a couple hundred?

If it's the latter, I might actually have a chance of getting my grubby paws on one.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
They're probably new, just trying to clear out stock.

There's no way to know how "limited" stock is, but I wouldn't expect them to last long.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I looked up and found out that the sale will start: Friday at 9AM PST

I would definitely want to get one as a Christmas present <strike>but it's quite late like 12 P.M when the offer goes online for me here in Oslo due to the time difference so I will probably be sleeping, but if there are still some available in the morning I'm considering getting one.</strike>

Last edited by thinkpad; 11-25-2010 at 05:22 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
I wish we had an indication of how "limited" the quantities are. Are they "black friday" limited, as in "minimum 10 per store," or will they have a couple hundred?

If it's the latter, I might actually have a chance of getting my grubby paws on one.
It is on their web site. Amazon doesn't do stores. Retail outlets are not part of Amazon.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I think Amazon will have a good supply, for at least two reasons.

First, because they are not a retail store, there's no point in having only a limited amount. In a retail store, even if you can't buy one of the cheap plasma TVs or whatever on black Friday, the fact that you're in the store makes it likely that you will buy *something* to offset the cost of the cheap items. But if you log onto Amazon and can't buy the K2, it's not like you are going to wander around the store looking for other things to buy.

2nd, Amazon doesn't make much money off of the Kindle; they make it off of the books...so the more kindles out there, the better Xmas is for Amazon.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have been following the Amazon deals this week you will notice the timed events of products that are only available for an hour or so and many times they are sold out before the time is up. I suspect this will be one of those.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Every time I see this thread title, I read it was "Amazon Kindle, 2 for $89", not "Amazon Kindle 2, for $89". Always makes me do a doubletake.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I think Amazon will have a good supply, for at least two reasons.

First, because they are not a retail store, there's no point in having only a limited amount. In a retail store, even if you can't buy one of the cheap plasma TVs or whatever on black Friday, the fact that you're in the store makes it likely that you will buy *something* to offset the cost of the cheap items. But if you log onto Amazon and can't buy the K2, it's not like you are going to wander around the store looking for other things to buy.

2nd, Amazon doesn't make much money off of the Kindle; they make it off of the books...so the more kindles out there, the better Xmas is for Amazon.
Perhaps they reserve more items for the US sale compared to elsewhere.

There's been a lot of anger here in the UK - they had a series of "Black Friday" style sales running on Amazon UK on Monday (possibly all week, I'm not sure), and many items appear to have been sold out within seconds (quite literally) of an item going live in the sale. My partner was interested in one particular item, and waited for when it was scheduled to go live, but when it did, decided it was still a bit too pricy to justify buying, but refreshed the page a few times out of interest, having read some of the complaints earlier in the day. Less than a minute later, it and the two other items that went live at the same time were listed as sold out. People were reporting that they'd get an item in their shopping basket as soon as it went on sale, but a few seconds later, when they tried to checkout, they'd get a message saying it was no longer available at the sale price, and offering them the option of buying at the normal price. Lots of angry people.

See http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/847964-a...eft-frustrated.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Every time I see this thread title, I read it was "Amazon Kindle, 2 for $89", not "Amazon Kindle 2, for $89". Always makes me do a doubletake.
Now THAT would be a deal!!
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you have been following the Amazon deals this week you will notice the timed events of products that are only available for an hour or so and many times they are sold out before the time is up. I suspect this will be one of those.
A possible crucial difference with those other deals is that they are products from other companies rather than the k2 which is probably stock that amazon are trying to get rid of while they still can.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I looked up and found out that the sale will start: Friday at 9AM PST

I would definitely want to get one as a Christmas present but it's quite late like 12 P.M when the offer goes online for me here in Oslo due to the time difference so I will probably be sleeping, but if there are still some available in the morning I'm considering getting one.
I think you have your timezones confused - According to this site, Oslo is UTC+1. That makes it nine hours ahead of PST so 9 am PST would be 6PM your time - unless you're someone who goes to bed really early, in which case, sleep well

Good luck Kindle shopping.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
It is on their web site. Amazon doesn't do stores. Retail outlets are not part of Amazon.
MEEEEP!!!! wrong! they are at Target, Staples and Best Buy
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
I think the poster you quoted was asking if the available quantity was similar to a "10 units per store" doorbuster special where it's not worth going for it unless you line up hours before (impossible with a website), or if more reasonable numbers would be available.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
MEEEEP!!!! wrong! they are at Target, Staples and Best Buy
And which one of those stores are owned by Amazon? Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong. The Friday deal will only be on the Amazon web site.

Dale