Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Cover Image

I'm trying to get my new book off the ground. I had some negative response to the cover image, so I have changed it to this:

I'd be interested in opinions of the new cover.

The book is a cross between gay erotica and m/m romance.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I don't like the lettering over his head, I would move it down to where you have the name and make that a lot smaller (or take it off completely). Names on covers are a throwback to books in shops, people don't buy ebooks the same way. If they are looking for something by you they will find it through a search or a link to other books by that author.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Covers of gay books are always the same: a model with a nice chest and a six-pack, that has nothing to do with the contents. So what is the difference between the cover of your novel and others? That boy looks like any other coverboy of gay romance.
And to mr ploppy: You are right about the text, the layout isn't well done. But I wouldn't remove the name of the author. If you search 'gay romance' or 'gay erotic' and you look at the shown results of the search engine, the name of the author on the cover would be helpful.

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Definitely do not remove your name from the cover.

As George says the cover is a bit generic. It's not bad, but it doesn't really evoke any particular response. After reading the blurb on Smashwords I'm not sure how you're going to produce a truly representative cover other than hiring an professional artist.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote