Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Google Chromium OS Released

If you don't know by now, Google have been working on a new Operating System based around their Chrome Web Browser. That operating system (in source code) is now available here: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

Here's an intro video explaining Chromium

A more in-depth demo (Interesting to MR users might be the hint at 6:35 at how Google is portraying Google Books usage in relation to the netbook)

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Is that what is meant by cloud computing?

PS - OK, I posted my question after watching the first video, and now I see that they discuss cloud computing on the second video.

Last edited by GA Russell; 11-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Some people have already installed it by using the source code. Behold, Chromium OS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JASlXyJt-ZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTjFeUtCvLo

Underwhelming, isn't it? The only program in the OS is a browser! No other programs may be installed. No user created files may be saved or read from the local memory. The OS is completely dependent on the internet for functionality. Want to play a game? You need to go to a game website. Want to work on a document? You need to use an online office suite and save the document to some remote server when you are done.

Not only that, but Chromium OS has a stifling list of restrictions on hardware. For starters, no hard drives are allowed; flash storage only. That is to ensure fast booting times. It only gets worse from there. As I've said elsewhere, this kind of fascist control over the user experience by keeping a tight grip on hardware and software is more of Apple's shtick, and I have no idea what possessed Google to dip into it.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/19/l...-announcement/
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...bout_chrome_os
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...nouncement.ars

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 11-22-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Some people have already installed it by using the source code. Behold, Chromium OS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JASlXyJt-ZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTjFeUtCvLo

Underwhelming, isn't it? The only program in the OS is a browser! No other programs may be installed. No user created files may be saved or read from the local memory. The OS is completely dependent on the internet for functionality. Want to play a game? You need to go to a game website. Want to work on a document? You need to use an online office suite and save the document to some remote server when you are done.

Not only that, but Chromium OS has a stifling list of restrictions on hardware. For starters, no hard drive are allowed; flash storage only. That is to ensure fast booting times. It only gets worse from there. As I've said elsewhere, this kind of fascist control over the user experience by keeping a tight grip on hardware and software is more of Apple's shtick, and I have no idea what possessed Google to dip into it.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/19/l...-announcement/
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...bout_chrome_os
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...nouncement.ars

Exciting and yet worrying at the same time. Exciting because it's Open Sourced, so you can bet all the annoyances are squashed in a non-Google version. Worrying because the vast majority of computer users won't be savvy enough to use that 'free' version and will gladly give Google all their data in exchange for convenience.

Interesting times....
Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
As my signature over in the Android forum says:

The Cloud is EVIL!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
I see a Debian server and a dumb terminal.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.guru View Post
I see a Debian server and a dumb terminal.
I see dead people (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
It sounds like a return from the grave of Larry Ellison's vision of "thin clients" from a few years back, where his concept was a very simple Java-enabled PC, with all the "computing" being done on a central server.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm with the rest of you. I loved what I was hearing in the first video and was almost cheering: yes!, PCs need to boot much, much faster and bypass some of the processes that are lower priority. But then at 2:28 when he said that nothing is stored on the computer, I instantly was brought back to the days when my IT organization wanted everyone to have dumb terminals and they wanted complete control of what applications I ran and how they were run on their remote processor. Gladly, those days are long gone.

But I'm old and remember those times and I wonder if today's youth know or care about such things. Perhaps they will jump into this big time.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Once upon a long time, used to be Time Sharing Options .... TSOs .

The idea is Okay, and may have worked 30 years ago; but now where everyone is so used to Personal Computers, it's a long haul to expect users to become used to everything they do now at the mercy of a "cloud runner" (no matter who they be, nor how secure they claim to be).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Not at all what I was expecting at all from Google. I was going to compile this on my Netbook or on VMWare, but now I'm just not going to waste my time.

I'll just stick with Mac OSX and Ubuntu

Edit: I thought I might as well give it a go, considering how much I use the "Google Cloud" for everyday stuff.

Last edited by Mobile Mason; 11-22-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Mobile Mason is offline   Reply With Quote