Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
clanelliott
Enthusiast
clanelliott doesn't litterclanelliott doesn't litter

Device: iriver story
Which Dictionary?

Hi All
I am looking for an English (UK spelling) Dictionary, what do you have, how easy is it to search, will it search whilst reading a ebook ie can you highlight a word in an ebook and it will then give you a definition or should i stick to a good old hardback.
Thanks
clanelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Hi clanelliot,

(Or should I say Feasgar math? A bheil thu 'gam tuigsinn?)

I haven't seen or heard of an English-language dictionary that runs on either the Story or the Cover Story. The Korean original comes with an in-built dictionary in Korean, but iRiver has said it's not planning to develop an English equivalent, and as far as I know nobody else has developed one either.

Though I'd be delighted to hear if anyone else knows of one.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Hi clanelliot,

(Or should I say Feasgar math? A bheil thu 'gam tuigsinn?)

I haven't seen or heard of an English-language dictionary that runs on either the Story or the Cover Story. The Korean original comes with an in-built dictionary in Korean, but iRiver has said it's not planning to develop an English equivalent, and as far as I know nobody else has developed one either.

Though I'd be delighted to hear if anyone else knows of one.
Bran, I never did take you up on that offline comment on your teaching gaelic. I admire your courage. There must be even fewer takers for that in OZ than there are for Mandarin in Eskilstuna (the nearest town to me). We are four determined souls!

Joking aside, what is the function of the dictionary? As far as I know one can't click on a word in the Iriver, so it can't be used for looking up in that sense. One could open it and search, presumably.

Or am I missing something? And is this something for the guys planning an open source upgrade to the Iriver?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I think you're right about the dictionary, James. The iRiver has no cursor and no way of supporting hyperlinks (that I've been able to find!), so it wouldn't be able to support an interactive context-sensitive dictionary, at least. At least not without a rewrite of the OS, as far as I can tell.

The Gaelic, I really enjoy, and my most recent class went really well (it just finished today, in fact). There's quite a good response to Gaelic here in OZ -- maybe not surprising when you consider that Australia was one of the standard destinations for emigrating Scottish Highlanders and people from the Western Isles from the time the Clearances began. A fairly hefty percentage of the Australian population has Scottish ancestry, and a growing number of folk is keen to recapture their heritage.

I'm impressed that you have a Mandarin learning group active in Eskilstuna, whatever the numbers. That's fantastic! Have you got a fluent teacher, or are you self-supporting?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Ah yes, it is the English national shame that scots and particularly irish was at one time virtually a synonym for criminal. And after that, there was the diaspora from Scotland and Ireland during the years of famine.

As for Mandarin, well, our teacher is definitely short on pedagogy! He's a native Mandarin speaker, but his pronunciation of Swedish is not good, which makes it hard for me who am not a native Swedish speaker.

Apart from our teacher, we are active amongst ourselves, sharing tips on good sites and programs we can use. Two of us have made a start on trying to learn to read the characters, but I have to say it is not easy. Still it should keep the Alzheimer's at bay. (They say that brain gymnastics is good for slowing the effects of dementia illnesses.)
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert