Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
Great Civil War Series

The following are an eight book series of battles during the Civil War. It follows the exploits of 2 fictional cousins, Harry Kenton who fights for the South and Dick Mason who fights for the North. Both are from Kentucky, who's allegiance stays with the Union. These are great reads:

The Civil War Series

* The Guns of Bull Run, a story of the Civil War’s eve (1914)
* The Guns of Shiloh, a story of the great western campaign (1914)
* The Scouts of Stonewall, the story of the great valley campaign (1914)
* The Sword of Antietam, a story of the nation’s crisis (1914)
* The Star of Gettysburg, a story of southern high tide (1915)
* The Rock of Chickamauga, a story of the western crisis (1915)
* The Shades of the Wilderness, a story of Lee’s great stand (1916)
* The Tree of Appomattox, a story of the Civil War's close (1916)
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Many thanks. Do you have links, Clay?
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
The entire series is available on Gutenberg.org. They're written by Joseph A. Altsheler. They also have "Before the Dawn: A Story of the Fall of Richmond", written 12 years prior to the series, which is an independent novel. All these titles are also listed on the Gutenberg "wars" bookshelf.

I haven't read any of the titles, but I thought they sounded familiar from previous visits to Gutenberg. As indicated above, the entire series plus an independent novel is available on Gutenberg. I haven't checked any other public domain sites.

Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
AFAIK they're all posted in our ebook section here on MR.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
AnemicOak - I just checked, and it does appear that the entire Civil War series is available on MR in select formats. Other works by the same author are also available.

I should have thought to check MR before checking Gutenberg!

Thanks.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
The entire series is available on Gutenberg.org. They're written by Joseph A. Altsheler. They also have "Before the Dawn: A Story of the Fall of Richmond", written 12 years prior to the series, which is an independent novel. All these titles are also listed on the Gutenberg "wars" bookshelf.

I haven't read any of the titles, but I thought they sounded familiar from previous visits to Gutenberg. As indicated above, the entire series plus an independent novel is available on Gutenberg. I haven't checked any other public domain sites.

Enjoy!

SteveK
Thanks, I love history and especially Civil War
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
clayw1pi
Enthusiast

Here's the Gutenberg Link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/US_Civ...9.2C_1862-1919
Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" is a truly great "Civil War" story. And it's free too.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
clayw1pi
Enthusiast

Thanks for the recommendation. Good timing too as I just finished "The Tree of Appomattox." This was the last in the 8 book series. Thoroughly enjoyed all 8 volumes.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thanks, for that folks. I'm just in the middle of a GA Henty Civil War piece from MR (many thanks to the admirable Crutledge for an excellent presentation of the Henty novels). Now looking forward to Kenton's work, which is absolutely new to me. Thanks again and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Thanks, for that folks. I'm just in the middle of a GA Henty Civil War piece from MR (many thanks to the admirable Crutledge for an excellent presentation of the Henty novels). Now looking forward to Kenton's work, which is absolutely new to me. Thanks again and best wishes. Neil
Whats the title of the GA Henty book?
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
civil war, historical fiction, war