Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
JeffPalley
Yold
JeffPalley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil 0.6 self-created styles - where are they?

I don't have Tidy turned on, but Sigil 0.6 has, on its own, created a style (called "IGotHired" ... it's a recruitment program I'm converting). Problem is that I can't find that style definition ... not in the external stylesheet nor at the top of the current xhtml file (the way it used to do when Tidy was turned on). (If it helps, this was text pulled in from Word using "Save as filtered web page.")

When I press "Go To Link or Style" it takes me to a blank line at the top of my own external stylesheet, but the "IGotHired" style is nowhere to be found in the stylesheet. As far as I can tell, the style doesn't do anything, although it would be nice to have it put the text in italics. Trouble is, I can't find the style anywhere. Should I just overwrite it by creating my own "IGotHired" style in my own stylesheet? Should I consider that Sigil is *suggesting* that I create such a style (it basically just surrounded the words with <i> and</i>, but once it substitutes its own "IGotHired" style, the style does nothing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by JeffPalley; 11-06-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: misworded
JeffPalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPalley View Post
I don't have Tidy turned on, but Sigil 0.6 has, on its own, created a style (called "IGotHired" ... it's a recruitment program I'm converting). Problem is that I can't find that style definition ... not in the external stylesheet nor at the top of the current xhtml file (the way it used to do when Tidy was turned on). (If it helps, this was text pulled in from Word using "Save as filtered web page.")

When I press "Go To Link or Style" it takes me to a blank line at the top of my own external stylesheet, but the "IGotHired" style is nowhere to be found in the stylesheet. As far as I can tell, the style doesn't do anything, although it would be nice to have it put the text in italics. Trouble is, I can't find the style anywhere. Should I just overwrite it by creating my own "IGotHired" style in my own stylesheet? Should I consider that Sigil is *suggesting* that I create such a style (it basically just surrounded the words with <i> and</i>, but once it substitutes its own "IGotHired" style, the style does nothing. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Never seen sigil create any style other than SGC-# (and that is inline in the head of the document)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
JeffPalley
Yold

I've seen that plenty too

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Never seen sigil create any style other than SGC-# (and that is inline in the head of the document)
Sure, when I had Tidy turned on, I used to enjoy Sigil's habit of creating its own styles and sticking them at the top of the relevent xhtml document so it would have precedence over the entire-ePub-stylesheet. In fact I used to use it as sort of a "suggestion list" of styles that maybe I should create and put in the main stylesheet instead of inserting inline HTML ... sort gently coercing me to get into good CSS habits. I finally got tired of trying to find the SGC number to figure out what the Sigil-created style did, plus I figured I had learned my lesson well enough to do without Sigil's help. But this problem is totally different -- a Sigil-invented style that seems to exist nowhere and do nothing, except that it deleted the <i> and </i> tags that it replaced. I finally just defined a style with the same name in the main style sheet to italicize the text it enclosed, which I guess solved my problem for now. But I'm wondering: what gives? I never had the problem with previous versions of Sigil. Actually, out of curiosity, I created an undefined do-nothing style (<span class="xxx"> and control-clicked on it to see where it would take me for the definition ... and it took me to the top line of the main stylesheet, just like the Sigil-invented do-nothing style. But the Sigil-invented do-nothing style didn't simply "do nothing"; it also removed the <i> and </i> do-SOMETHING tags that I wanted and didn't replace it with a style that accomplished the same thing. So it actually did damage. Incidentally, and totally changing the subject and probably violating all kinds of forum rules, have you noticed that Sigil 0.6 often has difficulty (= can't do it) saving an ePub. I did report the error and included the full error message. If you're having that problem but don't want to give up on 0.6 yet, it will usually work to "save a copy" ... but then there's the whole renaming rigmarole to go through.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have to agree with theducks. Never saw Sigil create a style that was not called sgc-*. Are you sure there wasn't a style in Word that was called 'IGotHired'? That would explain it.
Also I never have issues with saving with Sigil 0.6. The only times a save cannot work, is because there is a problem with the code. That is of course a very valid reason not to save.
I wonder what the circumstances are with regarding the save issues.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Sigil is *never* going to create a style by itself called "IGotHired". It is in your original document somewhere. Also Sigil in Pretty Print or "Off" modes for Clean Source will not be removing <i> tags - in "Tidy" mode it can indeed fiddle with your html but as others have said that will result in .sgc-# numbered styles appearing inline, never anything else.

And if you are having problems saving, most likely it means you are having the document open in another application that is taking a write lock on the file. Verify that you don't have the same file open in another application. If that is not the case, then it sounds like you have some sort of disk issue or perhaps an AV conflict of some kind.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
JeffPalley
Yold

kiwidude, Toxaris, & theducks: I owe you an apology.

You're completely right -- I had the ePub doc open in ADE when I tried to save it ... I hadn't encountered the problem before, because in the past I used the Firefox add-on to read ePubs while I was using Sigil, and that's stateless, so Sigil didn't give me an error.

I guess it would be wretchedly ungrateful of me to ask the Sigil developers --I mean, these guys are *volunteers* for God's sake -- to give me a more helpful error message, like "xxx.epub is open in another program" or something like that.

Regarding, the "IGotHired" style, I guess the people who wrote the original Word doc could have put such a style in, and I guess it could have carried over somehow to the XHTML file ... frankly, that feels like so long ago that it seems like ancient history. Once I put in my own "IGotHired" CSS style, I totally forgot about the issue, so I have no additional helpful information about it. I'd like to think that I could have been drunk, but the wine bottle is still unopened. Anyway, I've been working with 0.6 since then, and I've experienced no additional problems. I think it's a great program.

Sorry and Thanks, -Jeff

Tags
0.6, sigil, style