Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
ksmith100056
ksmith100056 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Question Optional 2-year Protection Plan $29.99

I'm thinking of buying a new Kindle Touch as a gift. Is the Optional 2-year Protection Plan worth it? It's not really clear to me just what the warranty covers. What are the plus and minus points of the regular free warranty vs. the extra cost 2 year warranty?

ksmith100056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A warranty protects you against manufacturing defects. A protection plan protects you against accidental damage or breakage. Thus, if you sit on your Kindle and break the screen, the warranty would not cover you, but the protection plan would.

Personally, though, I've lost count of the number of eInk devices that I've owned now, and I've never broken one. I'd use the money on a decent case for your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Square Trade has a good plan that covers things like accidents (like, didn't somebody's kid spill juice on their kindle?) and dropping and stuff like that. For my expensive items like my iPod, it's been worth it to have their protection plan. For something like my son's $79 kindle, we spent the money on a good cover for it.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Square Trade has a good plan that covers things like accidents (like, didn't somebody's kid spill juice on their kindle?) and dropping and stuff like that. For my expensive items like my iPod, it's been worth it to have their protection plan. For something like my son's $79 kindle, we spent the money on a good cover for it.
One plus to SquareTrade is that there's almost always a discount available on it if you look around the web or get on their mailing list. My two year coverage on the $99 Touch was about $14 including tax, with the Black Friday weekend code. $7 a year to cover everything, including drops & water damage? It's hard to find a decent cover that cheap!

(Note--I'm a bathtub reader and the Touch doesn't work well in waterproof covers, so for me this was more of a necessity than it might be for some. I don't generally believe in extended warranties, but for devices that I might drop, the accidental damage coverage is worth the added expense. YMMV)
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I wanted to get one for the Kindle Fire but there doesn't seem to be a way to purchase one through their site only through Amazon.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith100056 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a new Kindle Touch as a gift. Is the Optional 2-year Protection Plan worth it? It's not really clear to me just what the warranty covers. What are the plus and minus points of the regular free warranty vs. the extra cost 2 year warranty?

You should pretty much never buy the warranty on consumer electronics as they are almost always overpriced. If they weren't overpriced then the seller wouldn't bother offering them since they are in the business of making money and there isn't much, if any, competition for the insurance on the product they are selling.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
ksmith100056
ksmith100056 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Thanks for the info, all.
ksmith100056 is offline   Reply With Quote