Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #196
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by muness View Post
@rayhigh have you received your cover? How do you like it?

Anyone else have experience with Gecko Covers or any of their covers for the Aura HD? I am tempted to get the Slimfit (http://www.geckocovers.com/kobo-aura...fit-cover.html) but it's pretty expensive at least with shipping and taxes to the US and I'd love to hear what others think about it.

Aside: why would they be charging tax to the US? In my experience buying a fair number of gadgets from outside the US, no taxes are charged. Is that different for stuff from the Netherlands?
These are the same slim fit covers on Ebay. Only difference is Gecko has stamped their logo on the cover front and less of a color selection. Also a Fraction of the cost on ebay.

regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 08-27-2013 at 03:29 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #197
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
These are the same slim fit covers on Ebay. Only difference is Gecko has stamped their logo on the cover front and less of a color selection. Also a Fraction of the cost on ebay.
Thank you: I got the slim fit from ebay for ~ $13. I can't believe I almost spent $40 on it!
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #198
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
Right. I'm on the verge of opting for an Aura HD. But I'm very much thinking about a cover for it.

Has anyone got any photos of the Gecko-like ones you're getting from Ebay? Especially the back please. Also, an ebay link or two wouldn't go amiss just to ensure I don't go picking the wrong one.
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #199
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post
Has anyone got any photos of the Gecko-like ones you're getting from Ebay? Especially the back please. Also, an ebay link or two wouldn't go amiss just to ensure I don't go picking the wrong one.
Here's the one I ordered yesterday:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:3160

Picture of the back is the fourth one in the gallery in that auction. When it comes in I can take a photo, but I expect that's a couple of weeks out.
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #200
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I've actually ordered the pointlessly expensive official cover and, once it arrives, will be comparing it to the inexpensive ebay cover linked to in the previous post.

It looks as though all of the colors for the official cover are now available again (long after early adopters needed to buy one). I really wanted an espresso cover to match my reader; we'll see whether the end result was worth it.

In particular, I want to see whether the official cover grips the edges of the reader in the same potentially scratch-prone way. The spine of the ebay cover also has a lot of give (or the one I received, at least); I want to see whether the official cover feels any sturdier.

If not, then the rather garish color selection for the ebay model would seem a minor sacrifice (assuming that people receive them in better shape than I did).

P.S.: I like the back cover of the ebay model. It fits the palm and has just enough grip to make Kobo's design choice intelligible. When the shape is rendered in faux leather rather than plastic, it really does feel more comfortable to hold than the usual flat surface.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-30-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #201
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your comments, Prestidigitweeze. I have been unsure about those ebay covers, largely because even in the pics the plastic frame on the back does not appear to fit totally neatly with the leather back.

When do you reckon you'll receive the official cover? I'd love to hear your mini 'review' of one of those.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #202
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When do you reckon you'll receive the official cover? I'd love to hear your mini 'review' of one of those.
Here's the latest report from FedEx:

Quote:
8/29/2013 - Thursday
Elmsford, NY 7:56 pm At local FedEx facility
Since I live in New York myself, I'd say that the official cover doesn't have far to travel. I expect to find it at my door no later than the middle of next week and wouldn't be surprised to see it on Tuesday.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-30-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #203
meson1

I found the thread further down the forum (here) in which Kobo's official SleepCover is discussed extensively. I have decided that I don't like the sound of it. Here in the UK, the cheapest I can get it is around the £50 mark, and the general consensus seems to be that it's just not worth that much.

So I've been hunting and hunting for a decent cover in brown, to go with the espresso Aura HD. All the ones I've looked at on ebay, Amazon and various places all look awful quality in the pics. And I'm of the opinion that if they look bad in the pics they'll be worse in real life. OK, some are only a tenner, which isn't much just to take a gamble.

But I'm looking for the tactile experience that the Aura's hard plastic body fails to provide. I don't mind paying a bit extra to get a bit of decent quality, but there's a preciously small selection in brown. But I did finally find something. This site here: noreve.com. They make what looks like beautiful quality luxury leather cases for all sorts of devices including the Aura HD in a wide range of colours.

Checking the firm's products out on the internet from people who have bought from them, it seems they are actually very good, high quality and quite classy. The Aura HD case is only available in black for instant shipping, everything else they hand craft to order and send out within 14 days. The price is around £50 including tax and shipping; more or less the same price as Kobo's own SleepCover. So I've ordered a cover in a vintage brown leather.

Last edited by meson1; 09-01-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #204
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
PLEASE, please report back on the Noreve! I did not realize they were making cases for the Aura HD! I've always been tempted to try one of their cases and I surely would like something in a pretty blue for the espresso brown Aura HD I inadvertently ended up with.

I tried the eBay case with the fitted back and hated it. The stupid exposed magnet just digs into my thumb and is not comfy. I'm fine with the official Kobo case that I have in black, but would prefer something that went better with the device.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #205
meson1

@graycyn, if all goes according to plan, I certainly shall. But don't hold your breath because it's going to be a minimum of 14 days until I receive it.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #206
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thanks for your comments, Prestidigitweeze. I have been unsure about those ebay covers, largely because even in the pics the plastic frame on the back does not appear to fit totally neatly with the leather back.

I use the tan version from ebay. I had the "official" one from Kobo in black but passed it on to my wife when her Aura, encased in a soft cover, was somehow damaged.

My ebay cover seems to be a looser fit than the Kobo cover. If you have ever tried to remove the reader from the grip of the Kobo cover you know a looser fit is not necessarily a bad thing. It does snap in and is snug enough to hold the Aura securely. If you are a nervous reader and are pushing and pulling at the borders while reading you will notice some movement.

So, a less snug fit and arriving via the famous "slow boat from China" are the downsides. On the other hand, it is a completely functional hard case, sleep cover at a fraction of the cost of the official one.
After using it for a month or so, I find I like it better than the soft covers and because the price is so low have ordered a spare cover.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #207
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@graycyn, if all goes according to plan, I certainly shall. But don't hold your breath because it's going to be a minimum of 14 days until I receive it.
No worries, subscribed to the thread, I'll see it. And at the price, might have to wait and ask for my anniversary or Xmas.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #208
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I use the tan version from ebay. I had the "official" one from Kobo in black but passed it on to my wife when her Aura, encased in a soft cover, was somehow damaged.

My ebay cover seems to be a looser fit than the Kobo cover. If you have ever tried to remove the reader from the grip of the Kobo cover you know a looser fit is not necessarily a bad thing. It does snap in and is snug enough to hold the Aura securely. If you are a nervous reader and are pushing and pulling at the borders while reading you will notice some movement.

So, a less snug fit and arriving via the famous "slow boat from China" are the downsides. On the other hand, it is a completely functional hard case, sleep cover at a fraction of the cost of the official one.
After using it for a month or so, I find I like it better than the soft covers and because the price is so low have ordered a spare cover.
Interesting. I found my eBay cover to be a considerably snugger fit than the official cover, which is saying something! I truly thought I was in danger of breaking or scratching the device struggling to get it out of the eBay cover once I realized I did not like it and would not use it. I've never had that much trouble with official Kobo cover, though it is not exactly easy to remove.

Perhaps fit varies on both covers!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #209
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Interesting. I found my eBay cover to be a considerably snugger fit than the official cover, which is saying something! I truly thought I was in danger of breaking or scratching the device struggling to get it out of the eBay cover once I realized I did not like it and would not use it. I've never had that much trouble with official Kobo cover, though it is not exactly easy to remove.

Perhaps fit varies on both covers!
Maybe the method of production allows for a wide variance. After all, it costs much less than the official one.
I can't imagine a tighter fit than the official one I have. You must have needed a jackhammer to get it off.
Curious to see how the spare I have on the way fits.

I don't experience the trouble with the exposed magnet because I generally fold the front around to the back.

Last edited by geormes; 09-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #210
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Nice find, Meson. I've owned Noreve covers in the past; they were like miniature couture motorcycle jackets.

I'm in the middle of work and so can't report on the official case yet, but you're not wrong. Also -- and this is the main thing -- people who want a cover matching the espresso Aura will be disappointed because the only part that does match is the back. The front's either very, very dark brown or black thin leather, so there's no point in caring about matchiness at all if you choose to buy it. Pure black would have worked as well.

Also: The back of the case is exactly like that of the original device, which is to say, espresso-colored, slick, plastic and fingerprint-covetous.

I think you made the right decision going with Noreve.

I could tell you other things about my purchase experience that would make your eyes widen, but I can't go into that now. An editing job awaits.

If it were me, I'd go with indigo or dark blue in textured faded leather.

Quote:
I found the thread further down the forum (here) in which Kobo's official SleepCover is discussed extensively. I have decided that I don't like the sound of it. Here in the UK, the cheapest I can get it is around the £50 mark, and the general consensus seems to be that it's just not worth that much.

So I've been hunting and hunting for a decent cover in brown, to go with the espresso Aura HD. All the ones I've looked at on ebay, Amazon and various places all look awful quality in the pics. And I'm of the opinion that if they look bad in the pics they'll be worse in real life. OK, some are only a tenner, which isn't much just to take a gamble.

But I'm looking for the tactile experience that the Aura's hard plastic body fails to provide. I don't mind paying a bit extra to get a bit of decent quality, but there's a preciously small selection in brown. But I did finally find something. This site here: noreve.com. They make what looks like beautiful quality luxury leather cases for all sorts of devices including the Aura HD in a wide range of colours.

Checking the firm's products out on the internet from people who have bought from them, it seems they are actually very good, high quality and quite classy. The Aura HD case is only available in black for instant shipping, everything else they hand craft to order and send out within 14 days. The price is around £50 including tax and shipping; more or less the same price as Kobo's own SleepCover. So I've ordered a cover in a vintage brown leather.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-03-2013 at 02:26 PM.