Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
msavides
msavides began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Entorage
New EE and PE owner

I just bought a PE off of woot for there $125.00 deal. After my purchase I was looking around ebay and found a Used EE Buy it now for $150 +14 shipping.

I read the ad 4 times to make sure it was an EE not a PE. The guy onlu had 1 feedback so I was skeptical. I bought it and to my surprise it was in fact an EE. A little scratched exterior wise but in all in good working condition.

After spending an hour trying to get it to update to ermine (the Pe worked first shot) using the usb stick. I finally tried it with the sdcard and it worked first try.

I noticed one the PE with ermine there is several options when you hit hold the power button. With the EE there is just power off or Mute. I was looking for the hibernate in the menu. I can only conclude that the EE has sensors that detects when you close it and the PE does not.

I gave the PE to the GF and I kept the EE. I am still on the fence if that was the right decision. I like how small the PE is and I like how Large the EE is. But the EE is to big to carry around.

I tried bringing up trading her, but she likes the PE since it fit in her purse.

Maybe I will wait for another woot To get another PE. I just don't think I can bring myself to selling the EE though. I think I got a real good deal on it.
msavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
You got a /great/ deal on that EE, I kinda wish I spotted it lol. Both the PE and EE have sensors to detect when they're closed, I'm not sure why there are no options for hibernation in your menu, but maybe someone with an EE will know more...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
msavides

that is strange, the reason i jumped to that conclusion is my GF charged up her PE and them closed it up and took it to work, By the time lunch rolled around her PE Battery was dead. I told her it was because she did not hibernate it or turn it off. If you you say is correct it should have went to hibernation on its own. Perhaps she had it closed and charging and just unplugged it. Not sure why that would be any different.

I know with all my other android devices it is impossible to charge them without the device turning on. The PE and EE seem to charge without having to be powered on.

I will have to experiment a bit more to see what actually happened that day. She has not complained since but maybe what i told her was not necessary.

the guy had 2 of them up and I was tempted to get both but wanted to limit my risk since he only had 1 feedback. Kinda kicking myself now. Oh well.

Mark

Last edited by msavides; 07-13-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have two PE's. The first one didn't hibernate properly, and if you didn't manually set it to hibernate, it would just drain the battery. The second one works perfectly, hibernates automatically after you close it. I'm still moving all my data over, but as soon as I get that done, I plan to run the "golden update" on the first one, re-upgrade to Ermine, and see if that helps.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
msavides

let me know if that works for you. If not and it is a hardware problem I would like to know sooner than later. If I want woot to accept a return it must be done soon after receiving it.

nice to know I am not the only one.
Mark
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I got my woot PE last week and it works great. Closing it puts it in hibernate just like it should. And this is with Ermine.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It didn't work. But mine won't go into hibernation even if I try to do it manually.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
I don't think you can manually set the EE to hibernate. Or at least, it's not an option when you hit the power button and it's hidden somewhere I can't be bothered to look. I just always close my EE, and when I open it up again, the e-ink side says it's hibernating, press menu to come out of hibernation.

One thing you'll probably notice with the EE, assuming the battery is still in good condition, is the EE has a much longer battery life. I would try looking around to see if you can find a spare battery, before they are no where to be found. With 2 batteries, it's almost impossible to run out of juice.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
msavides

I looked for a 2nd battery. The are already out of stock everywhere. My only hope now is to order form overseas since they still seem to have them. However that cost the same price and what I paid for My EE.

My GF PE goes into hibernation when you select it. just not upon closing. Or at least that 1 time. I will have to do some test with it.

I bought her a 3g nook (1st gen) and she says she likes the PE better and want to get rid of the nook. she says it is faster when switching pages and likes to be able to view all the chapters on the lcd and display the text on the eink.

Mark
Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Be glad you have a user replaceable battery lol... If they're the same price, buy the EE, take the battery, and send the rest to me lol.

I also had a nook, haven't touched it since I got my PE, probably going to try and sell it on craigslist or something.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
Be glad you have a user replaceable battery lol... If they're the same price, buy the EE, take the battery, and send the rest to me lol.
I'm guessing he means that importing the battery from Europe will cost as much as he paid (which wasn't much!) for the used EE. No EE for you, emusan! :P
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I'm guessing he means that importing the battery from Europe will cost as much as he paid (which wasn't much!) for the used EE. No EE for you, emusan! :P
He said the seller had two, maybe there are more out there? I can dream can't I??
Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
msavides

that is the wonderful thing about EBAY and Buy it now auctions.. If you catch it right and the seller has not done his research on what something is worth. you can get a great deal. Just wish I had the guts to buy both. Oh well. someone else got the other one and I am sure they are just as happy as I am .