Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
Mel_Putra
Enthusiast
Mel_Putra is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-300
Hi pda_junkie,

I've PM you regarding a VPN service provider...
Mel_Putra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 AM   #17
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_junkie View Post
I'm in Singapore & also struggling with geo restrictions. Do you mind sending me a PM to let me know which VPN service you are using? I've tried some of the free ones with no luck & leery of shelling out money for a VPN service with no guarantees that it will work. TIA!
I use Anonymizer's privacy services (and have done long before I had the need to by-pass Amazon's geo-restrictions). They are expensive but very good. Also an entirely legitimate business so responding in open forum rather than through PM.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Are these Sony gift cards branded with a country? In other words, can you not use gift cards that you buy yourself?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
I use Anonymizer's privacy services (and have done long before I had the need to by-pass Amazon's geo-restrictions). They are expensive but very good. Also an entirely legitimate business so responding in open forum rather than through PM.
Thank you. Mel_Putra also sent me the name of another service so I'll be looking at both of them.
pda_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Are these Sony gift cards branded with a country? In other words, can you not use gift cards that you buy yourself? t

I've never actually seen the card itself - I only get sent the number. They are for sale in many stores in the US. You can also buy them online at the Sony store but they won't accept my UK credit card. I may be able to buy a card in a UK Sony shop, but to enter it on my account would involve a currency conversion.....even if the account accepted it. Complex eh??
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
There is a separate online gift card for ebooks from The Reader Store. Here is the link:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/gift-center/

Last edited by Fbone; 07-01-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_junkie View Post
I'm in Singapore & also struggling with geo restrictions. Do you mind sending me a PM to let me know which VPN service you are using? I've tried some of the free ones with no luck & leery of shelling out money for a VPN service with no guarantees that it will work. TIA!
Here in the Netherlands I am using alwaysvpn (www.alwaysvpn.com) to shop at B&N. Cheapest option is only $8.50.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #23
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kobo Glo
Thanks geertm!
pda_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #24
morana69
morana69 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Cybook Gen 3 (broken)
I wonder if any publishers or authors actually thinks that the current situation of geo-restrictions makes any sense.

This thread proves that there are many people lining up to pay hard earned money for their products and yet they are unwilling to sell to them. In 2010, why are publishers/authors not contracting for worldwide non-exclusive ebook distribution rights?

Living in the UK, I am always amazed that a publisher, who appears to have rights to sell the paper version of a book here, doesn't apparently have the ability/desire to sell the ebook version here.

There are so many occasions when I want to buy an ebook but can find literally no-one willing to sell it to me: US stores are geo-restricted and UK stores don't list it, yet it is widely available for purchase as paper book in those very same UK online stores.

I could maybe understand geo-restrictions stopping US stores selling to UK buyers, if there were UK stores selling the product, but it just doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, rant over, though I would love to hear an author's or publisher's view on why they don't want my money.

~John
morana69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Here in the Netherlands I am using alwaysvpn (www.alwaysvpn.com) to shop at B&N. Cheapest option is only $8.50.
But the site still says: `Billing address must be in the United States.'
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #26
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by morana69 View Post
I wonder if any publishers or authors actually thinks that the current situation of geo-restrictions makes any sense.

~John
This is only a WAG (Wild A$$ed Guess) but it must have started sometime in the Middle Ages. Books were large, heavy things to ship. A printer in one area might buy the exclusive right to publish and sell a book in his area. The first publisher made money from selling the book in his area AND selling the right to print it in an area that was not economical to service.

Today there is little need to this, but the publishers probably still make extra money by selling the publishing rights to others. This could also account for the higher price in some areas as the "New" publisher must make back the cost of buying the right to publish the book.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #27
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I was able to buy a geo restricted book at whsmith using my son's student travel address in London, the free uk proxy server at http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/ and my US credit card.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #28
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I was able to buy books today using a UK debit card through Amazon USA and downloaded it straight to my reader without a problem . I remember just trying to get books through Sony was a major headache and I never succeeded .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Geographic is a poor choice by the Industry. Today, the only logical market partition for eBooks is LANGUAGE.

When will the industry figure out that the barriers they construct are detrimental to their future?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #30
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
But the site still says: `Billing address must be in the United States.'
You can register any valid USA address as shipping and billing address for your account (the address is not verified at your credit card company so you can use an USA address as the billing address of your non-USA credit card).
This usually works for other e-book stores too (like Fictionwise and Kobobooks).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote