Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #46
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't consider the 'real estate' wasted, because the large next page buttons on either side of the K2 screen make one-handed reading easy no matter which hand you are using. You may have a few more pages to turn, but the trade-off is well worth it.
If less text per screen is an OK trade-off (I don't mind it btw), then the Sony 300 is the real winner here. I tried holding a Kindle in one hand--it didn't last very long! The 300 fits nicely in one hand, it's very light, and you just press the bottom center of the device with either hand to turn pages. The 505 is pretty good for page turning as well, with large buttons on both lower corners, plus buttons on the middle of the right edge. Buttons are convenient for either hand, the device is actually small enough to hold comfortably in one hand, and these controls aren't prone to accidental mis-presses.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Contrast, glare, and reflection issues aside, it is just stunning how clownish the K2 looks with its awkward, enormous bezel.

No offense to K2 lovers... it's a sweet machine. Just a little clownish.
My thought too! That's just so much wasted space... And a missed opportunity (the keyboard is ok, but the bezel should be much smaller!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I noticed that the Sony's display 3 more lines than the Kindle. The Kindle seems to waste a lot of screen real estate with big left and right margins although the justification makes the text look nicer.
I personally like the layout of the Sony's better than the Kindle one. Maybe it's the margins or the font, but it looks a bit... messy.

Nice pictures! I do get the impression the letters on the 600 are a bit softer.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I tried holding a Kindle in one hand--it didn't last very long! The 300 fits nicely in one hand, it's very light, and you just press the bottom center of the device with either hand to turn pages.
I don't understand why you have a problem holding the K2 in one hand. According to the specs, it weighs only 1/10 of an ounce more than the 300.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #49
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
I don't understand why you have a problem holding the K2 in one hand. According to the specs, it weighs only 1/10 of an ounce more than the 300.
It is quite a bit larger and harder to balance. I can wrap fingertips around both sides of the 300 and have a firm grip without stretching my hand. Size matters too.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It probably depends on how you hold it. I have no problems holding the K2 in one hand at all. Some folks also complain that the K2's keyboard gets in the way of holding it comfortably, never felt that myself.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #51
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Even if they didn't change the page number with the fonts I think it would still be more useful than location numbers. In my mind it would just mean I'm still on pp. xx but I've enlarged the font so it'll take more than one page on my reader to get through it. That's fine and totally makes sense to me, but locations?? Isn't that something you'll find in geography??
Chapter 1 paragraph 3 sentence 5 word 2--you can't get more meaningful or accurate than that.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #52
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for the pics. I just received my PRS-505 and I think I made the right decision. I love the display but it is also pretty clear to me that it isn't "paper" quality yet and that anything with less contrast would seriously bother me. I do like the features of the PRS-600, but the display quality is top priority for me.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #53
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Last Saturday I visited a local Sony Store and could finally play with the new PRS-600. Before that, I was little frustrated to have a "discontinued" product (I own a 505) but after that visit I was pleased that my 505 is still better (IMHO).

The 600 contrast is worst than 505 but is not that bad as I thought when reading some folks from this forum. For me, the only reason I'd buy one is the built-in dictionary which is pretty neat. English is my 2nd language and a dictionary is very important.

The "in place" notes and the touch screen didn't catch me, though.

The downside is the price of $399 + taxes (I'm in Canada). I would expect it a little cheaper.

Regards

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #54
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlrigh View Post
I didn't realise how clear the Kindle2 screen was before, as compared to the 505 ... I like the font. Is it the default? Must consider tinkering with my 505 fonts and see what's the more readable, serif or sans-serif. You use all three? Which do you find the best for long reading?
In what precise way is the Kindle 2 screen "clear" in comparison to the 505?

The white looks darker, and more of the display is taken up by interface elements (which, as can be seen, results in fewer displayed lines per page).

Or did I misread your comment?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #55
karinc
Enthusiast
karinc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I agree - 505 is cool, though the software is klunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedgarcia View Post
Last Saturday I visited a local Sony Store and could finally play with the new PRS-600. Before that, I was little frustrated to have a "discontinued" product (I own a 505) but after that visit I was pleased that my 505 is still better (IMHO).

The downside is the price of $399 + taxes (I'm in Canada). I would expect it a little cheaper.

Paulo
Yes, I agree - I went out special to get the 505 "last year's model" because I had seen one "in person" and didn't one the newer ones. I love it. Even at $299 it's a great item -- but I agree $399 for this year's version is really pushing it. Soon we'll see the release of the Que which will rock the world of readers. I like the size of mine, though (compared to the big Que), and now that I have it in a protective case (Case Logic) I take it everywhere.
karinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:59 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinc View Post
Soon we'll see the release of the Que which will rock the world of readers.
Why do you believe that? The Que is clearly aimed at the business, rather than the personal market. It will be a rival for devices like the iRex DR1000S, not Sony's machines, and will probably be priced to match. What do you consider to be "revolutionary" about it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you believe that? The Que is clearly aimed at the business, rather than the personal market. It will be a rival for devices like the iRex DR1000S, not Sony's machines, and will probably be priced to match. What do you consider to be "revolutionary" about it?
The biggest revolution with it is the flexible screen... making it a very durable device. Also, it looks a lot thinner than the DR1000's... although it may not be the case.

They also said when they first introduced it that it would be in the price range of the Kindle... which was $400 at the time (iirc)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The biggest revolution with it is the flexible screen... making it a very durable device.
I entirely agree - from a technical perspective, that is new, but it's not something that will be "visible" from the viewpoint of the user (unless they drop it!).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #59
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
It might be just my internet connection (here in China) but the images on the first posting do not show up. Just question marks. I went through my proxy and still no images. Were they taken down?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #60
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'm not getting any pictures.......just the titles.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote