Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
carlof
carlof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Yeah!

So it was sometime last year I think when I found out about the Amazon Kindle and got very intrigued with the device. As much as I wanted to get one, I live in Vancouver so Amazon couldn't deliver it to me. I read about the Sony Reader (probably the PRS-500) and I read that it didn't really get much good reviews, so I steered clear for a bit.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, and I'm in New York for training with a tool we use for my company. I went to Borders in Wall Street after training to browse around some books and I saw a small booth for the Sony Reader. I was intrigued, so I went around and looked.

WOW.

I found the display to be, for lack of a better word, AWESOME. I loved how crisp it looked, and how slick the device was. I download a lot of ebooks (especially business books) and buy a lot of physical books (business books as well as fiction). But I always found it frustrating that I couldn't carry my physical books with me to read while I'm waiting for the bus or the train because of the size and weight.

So naturally I loved the idea of transferring all my PDFs to the Sony Reader and carrying them all in one device. Buying ebooks in the future will also save me a lot of money in the long run too. So I didn't hesitate -- as soon as I got home, I read up on the Sony Reader vs. the Kindle.

You can guess which one won by which forum I'm posting in

I transferred some of my PDFs already this morning, and I took advantage of a few classics that Sony offered. I got my hands on some favorites (Agatha Christie) and I'll be transferring those too. After the update, my PDF files read perfectly -- ahh, no more being confined in front of the Macbook screen for hours on end staring at tiny letters!

It couldn't have come with perfect timing -- my Zune ran out of battery and I left the charger back in Vancouver, so I'll transfer some of my music to the Sony Reader just so I'll have something to listen to for the meantime.

I'm on a 9-hour flight back to Vancouver tomorrow, so it's perfect. I'll stay entertained with my books in one little nifty device. My daily transit is going to be a looooot better now, especially with summer almost over ='(

This is awesome! I'll be posting around the forums when I can. Looking forward to interacting with you guys =D
carlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Welcome to MobileRead and the Wonderful World of E-Ink!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Congrats Carlof! I'm sure you'll enjoy your reader immensely!

Be sure to check out the vast number of free books posted here at MobileReads. A lot of great reading to be had and all formatted far better (in my opinion anyway) than the classics available from Sony.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi carlof and welcome to the Forum. You're going to find out that damn 505 is addictive. Be sure and check out all the eBooks here on the MobileRead site.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
Hi Carlof, like yourself I am a recent e-ink initiate. I am sure you will have lots of fun with the Sony and here at Mobileread. I know I do.
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Welcome to the family. It is a wonderful place to be, embraced lovingly in the arms of your 505.

OK, maybe a bit too melodramatic. The 505 rocks!

Better?
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Welcome, I love the Sony reader (only have a PRS500 but I have had it for ages now and still loving it)

I'm off to the states in November and I'm thinking about picking up a PRS505 along with a few other bits n bobs...Mmmm good old cheap dollar!
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!