Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #1516
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
There are times I'm wondering why mankind hasn't yet suffered extinction due to laziness.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #1517
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjens View Post
Yes have been trying that one on my pc. It takes a lot of effort to get ones books in, they did not import calibre catalogs.
Not sure what your process was, but I was able to get my entire library (minus those older books predating isbn) of over 2000 books into the database in a little over an hour...It might have taken 2 hours if I had used the scanner on the iPad/iPhone instead of a handheld one.

How long did it take you to get all the data into Calibre in the first place??

If calibre has an export function you can export a csv file and use that to import into the other program.
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #1518
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjens View Post
Basically most solutions now availible are pc oriented. They do not take advantage of the touch environment of the iphone or ipad. The best ipad or iphone apps are simple in use and focussed on swipes and touches, not data entry.
Have you actually used the CLZ Barry/Books apps or just the PC program? The app is all "swipes and touches" and simple scans for data entry.

Anyway, I think this might be turning into a different forum topic so I'll shut up now.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #1519
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Have you actually used the CLZ Barry/Books apps or just the PC program? The app is all "swipes and touches" and simple scans for data entry.
@Turtle91 yes i have used it on my ipad and pc. Its a great app, but not what i was looking for. Let me try too explain. I use calibre as my book management system, all my books are cataloged there. I use cops to provide this info online by opdf or html to any device. Currently i use Marvin as my ebook reader, due to the fact that it is the best book reader and because it connects perfectly with cops and calibre. Now i am not looking for a solution in which i have to upload my calibre data to another app and keep it synchonised or convert it to a ebook-catalog. I am looking for an app that basically uses the metadata from calibre perhaps enhanced by extra data. Marvin already has a beautiful library screen, with lots of functionality. That together with a offline catalog on the ipad is basically what i am looking for. Kris called it a Virtual Bookshelf, i like that concept.

Next to reading books i like the search for that next book that will captivate me. By having the info with me i can do this search in a book store, or on the train or ... CLZ Books could do all that if it was tightly integrated with Calibre, but it has its own catalog/cloud. Keeping different catalogs in sync is not my strong suit, i always end up with them being out of sync.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, i tried all the suggestions in the previous posts, they ended up being a lot of work.

Last edited by maxjens; 06-04-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #1520
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Feature requests:

Please add a menu autohide option. Yes I'm too lazy to tap in the middle to hide the menu in reading screen

Make all built in iOS fonts available, particularly Optima.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #1521
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Noted.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #1522
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Another proposal (for way down the road)

Text to speech. It probably doesn't make sense financially to license it for general use, but you could partner with a TTS company and offer TTS as an in app purchase. The company will be selling access to their engine and voices through your app, and you get a cut of the purchase. (Most TTS companies have their own apps, but they usually have lousy epub reader and poor UI.). Your users who want TTS can get it; the rest can ignore. Win win win.

I think TTS is pretty useful sometimes, eg, when I'm too tired to read.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #1523
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

If they do purchase the TTS can you change the marvin icon to put lips below the glasses??

- Not putting down the suggestion - it's a great idea - just laughing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	106662  
Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #1524
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
TTS would be a game changer. Does anyone do it on iOS to begin with?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #1525
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
TTS would be a game changer. Does anyone do it on iOS to begin with?
Voice Dream.

G
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #1526
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I concur. TTS in Voice Dream Reader is done really well.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #1527
Manosk
Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.Manosk knows the square root of minus one.

Device: iPad 3
Hi,

I've recently installed Marvin on my iPad 3 (iOS 6.1.3). As you know, this app lets you easily change brightness, warmth and contrast of the page. I have some questions about this very feature:

1. I've noticed that the brightness control in Marvin is not app-bound, it sets the brightness for the whole iPad. Could this behaviour interfere with the iOS auto-brightness feature?

2. Are the warmth and contrast settings really app-bound as it seems? If so, what are their default values?

Thanks
Manosk
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #1528
kguil
Addict

@Manosk

1) Yes. Marvin controls hardware brightness. No. It doesn't interfere with auto-brightness.

2) Warmth and tint apply in the book only. The defaults are off for both. Tint only works if you have warmth dialled in.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #1529
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Was out for a few days and I noticed a bug on my iPad 1. But it is a very minor one and probably not worth correcting...

When you start the App with the iPad in an upside/down position (Connector on top), the App starts upside/down too during the small init phase and then moves the text correctly doing a 180° turn...

Really NOT important...
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #1530
kguil
Addict

@Gurvan. You're right. The startup splash screen does not auto rotate. The next update will support upside-down portrait (not landscape).
Closed Thread