Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
w1ksz
Connoisseur
w1ksz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket EdGe
I GIVE UP

It is becoming clear to me that the Entourage Business Plan was to develop a device that would only work with their Apps. Most likely that was the cause of their demise along with a ludicrous pricing structure.

For the fourth, AND LAST time, I have tried to download an App only to have it abort and tell me I have no "device" listed.

Now, there are lots of Apps that will work, but I haven't found one that's worth wasting my time on. Call me old fashioned, but I believe it's QUALITY not QUANTITY that counts.

So, it's off to e-Pay with this tinker-toy.

rs
w1ksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
jmgazer
jmgazer began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
What are you looking for ? I have both sizes, use them mostly for reading (B & N, Amazon, PDF) and they work very well. Not an IPad, but still very usefull, and the 10" makes a wonderful picture frame device.

Jim
jmgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ksz View Post
It is becoming clear to me that the Entourage Business Plan was to develop a device that would only work with their Apps. Most likely that was the cause of their demise along with a ludicrous pricing structure.

For the fourth, AND LAST time, I have tried to download an App only to have it abort and tell me I have no "device" listed.

Now, there are lots of Apps that will work, but I haven't found one that's worth wasting my time on. Call me old fashioned, but I believe it's QUALITY not QUANTITY that counts.

So, it's off to e-Pay with this tinker-toy.

rs
What you do with your unit is entirely up to you but I would like to get on record exactly what your problems have been for the enlightenment of others.

First, the apps you are having trouble with. Are they apps designed to work on TABLETS or are they phone apps that require phone functions to work?

Second, have you tried to download the *.apk to your computer and install from there? That is the only way I install apps on my EE.

Third, do the apps actually run on our version of Android? If not then you have about the same odds as a snowball surviving in hell of it working.

Fourth, do you have the market enabled version of Ermine installed and have you checked it works? You may be able to use the Amazon app store if you have already set up an account there as I understand it - I gave up on that when I found it was US only.

If you could give some answers to the above questions we will all learn more about our devices.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ksz View Post
There are many quality Apps that work with the Edge. For starters, the pre-installed Documents to Go is one of the best mobile Office suites on the market.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here are some Apps that I consider are QUALITY and they all will work with the Entourage Edge with Ermine installed. The best part is they are all free: Amazon Kindle App , Andy-86, Bible.is, Convert Anything, Dictionary.com, Dolphin Browser HD with Webzine, Evernote , Mr. Block , NetTALK, Newspapers , Old Time Video, Overdrive Media Console, Pandora Internet Radio, Pulse , RealCalc, Talk to Me , TuneIn Radio, Vlingo , Voice Search, WikiMobile Encyclopedia.

This is just a small sample. There are quality Apps out there, you just have to know where to look.

For starters, if you don't have the Amazon App Store, GET IT !!! They have thousands of Apps, many free. The Amazon App Store will even alert you whether the App is compatible with the Edge or not.

Also try 1Mobile which has hundreds of Apps (many are no cost). What do you have to lose? Look around and you are bound to find something you like. Even if an App doesn't work, it's FREE. It doesn't cost you anything to try it.

Android Developers is another excellent website. Their servers are synced with the Google Android Market. Any and all free Apps on the Android Market can also be found here. In fact, the author has some Apps on the Android Market.

Recently, I found another excellent use for my Pocket Edge. I am studying for the CompTIA Security + exam which I plan on taking within the next two weeks. On the YouTube website there is a complete studio quality CompTIA video training series by Professor Messer that I am reviewing prior to taking the exam. These videos play flawlessly using the Pocket Edge.

The point is you really don't know what the Edge is capable of until you do a little experimenting. Sorry to hear you are putting yours up for sale on eBay.

BTW, I like Tinker Toys.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-18-2011 at 05:41 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
most of the apps I download from market using pablob market fixed full rom just works out of the box. Fantastic device.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
most of the apps I download from market using pablob market fixed full rom just works out of the box. Fantastic device.
Can you buy Apps from the Android market?

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
yeap indeed
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have gobs of apps installed that work great. I do run into two error messages a good deal, though.

"This app cannot be installed on an SD card" (something like that) and "app not installed"... with no reason given. But, more often than not, apps install and work fine. The only real limit I've found is the tiny partition size for the app directory. I'm going to do the sd card hack soon to alleviate that issue.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helf View Post
I have gobs of apps installed that work great. I do run into two error messages a good deal, though.

"This app cannot be installed on an SD card" (something like that) and "app not installed"... with no reason given. But, more often than not, apps install and work fine. The only real limit I've found is the tiny partition size for the app directory. I'm going to do the sd card hack soon to alleviate that issue.
If you are running often in the space limits, instead of doing the SD card hack you could try the Golden Allmine ROM and let me know if you still hit that problem (in that ROM the apps partition has more than 2 GiB, although there has been one report that the Market seems to complain about installing apps when more than 322 MiB are used).
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
helf
Zealot
helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.helf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe, Entourage eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
If you are running often in the space limits, instead of doing the SD card hack you could try the Golden Allmine ROM and let me know if you still hit that problem (in that ROM the apps partition has more than 2 GiB, although there has been one report that the Market seems to complain about installing apps when more than 322 MiB are used).
Oh, I will try to give that a shot when I get back home next week (on vacation visiting family at the moment).

I forgot about that rom. I just used the initial Allmine hack to get the market working.
helf is offline   Reply With Quote