Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Page Turn Misfires

Has anybody else noticed that every now and then (say 15%) of the time, that MobiPocket (it may be happening in all apps, but I almost only use MobiPocket lately) decides to turn forward more than one page at a time?

And no, it's not because I held the flip bar down too long, I upped by preferences to an unbearably long time just to see if I could eliminate the issue.

I have also noticed that after turning back to the original page, the pagination has changed a little - for example, the last pragraph on the page I was last reading becomes the second to the last paragraph; or the first paragraph of the next page I hadn't yet read.

Also, when this behavior creeps up, it seems to persist, that is once the erroneous page turn happens, the likely hood of it happening again increases dramatically (say 80%).
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
dmw
dmw began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad/Palm TX
I've seen this as well, both in mobipocket and ipdf. Exactly as you describe. It's happened so often that I've adopted the habit of checking the page number with every page turn, so I'll know where to go back to when it happens.
dmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
thicke
thicke began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
From the user manual (note the last bullet point):

4.3 Flipbar
• Turn Flipbar to the left to turn a page/screen to reach next
content.
• Turn Flipbar to the right to turn a page/screen to reach
previous content.
• Hold Flipbar to the left or right for 2 seconds to skip 5
pages/screens.

ig88 - I'm not sure if changing the keypress thresh hold will affect this. This is also not what's causing your pagination issue you are having. I just thought someone might find it useful.

Last edited by thicke; 09-09-2007 at 08:55 PM.
thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I noticed something similar to this back when I used Mobipocket on my PDA. The page count of the ebook sometimes changed for no reason. It was somewhat odd.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thicke View Post
From the user manual (note the last bullet point):

4.3 Flipbar
• Turn Flipbar to the left to turn a page/screen to reach next
content.
• Turn Flipbar to the right to turn a page/screen to reach
previous content.
• Hold Flipbar to the left or right for 2 seconds to skip 5
pages/screens.

ig88 - I'm not sure if changing the keypress thresh hold will affect this. This is also not what's causing your pagination issue you are having. I just thought someone might find it useful.
Changing the delay doesn't help. In my case, the flipping only misfires when flipping to the right, so I've changed direction in settings and now it works properly again (although I had to get used to left for forward).
The current idea is that it is hardware error, I believe.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've only had this happen to me once. I rebooted the iLiad and it went away; hasn't happened since.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm curious as to which way you have your page turn setup? To go to the next page do you use the default "flip left"? Or do you have it changed to flip right?

Try swapping it to see what happens.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

Hey, I also experience this problem. I use the default settings and am currentely reading a book in ipdf. I has happened about 7 times today (am reading pretty much the entire day ). I first thought it was because of me holding the flip bar a bit to long. I'm not really aware of me using my iliad while reading so it's still possible, but I doubt that now that I read that others are also having this problem.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
autophile
Singularitarian
autophile is on a distinguished road

Device: Motorola Xoom
This problem seems to be an issue in 2.10. I had not noticed it in the previous versions, so I think it's something new, perhaps introduced by the improved battery management. What appears to happen is that you flip the flip bar normally, but the operating system appears to hang for a short while. This is apparently treated as a long flip, which results in the 5-page skip we're experiencing.

Just guessing. And I still love my iLiad

--Rob
autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 AM   #10
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autophile View Post
This problem seems to be an issue in 2.10. I had not noticed it in the previous versions, so I think it's something new, perhaps introduced by the improved battery management. What appears to happen is that you flip the flip bar normally, but the operating system appears to hang for a short while. This is apparently treated as a long flip, which results in the 5-page skip we're experiencing.

Just guessing. And I still love my iLiad

--Rob
It is not new in 2.10 for me. I assumed it was a hardware problem, since flipping direction (I now use the non-default right-is-forward) fixed it - the problem is more or less gone now.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
This is an old known problem. Scotty1024 has started a similar thread in Dec of 2006.
What I said months ago in the other thread is still true. Using the non-default flipping direction solved it on my iLiad.
I assume it is a hardware problem, too.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Mine has had that problem since the beginning (Sept. 06), it seemed to be solved in newer versions... but when it came back from being repaired, the casing was very slightly loose beside the flipbar, and it's doing it again. If I hold the casing firm while flipping, problem solved (but it means a two-handed page turn, which is a bugger).
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
dmw
dmw began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad/Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
This is an old known problem. ... What I said months ago in the other thread is still true. Using the non-default flipping direction solved it on my iLiad.
That doesn't seem to be the case for me, as I use the non-default flipping direction and still experience the problem. I never made the connection that the flipbar direction might be a problem, but I do remember that it was much worse at some point in the past that may have coincided with my changing of the default flip direction.
dmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've occasionally seen this problem, but I have not detected any particular pattern. I adjusted my setting for the length of a "long" button press, and that seemed to help a little. I think the "software hang->OS interprets long flip" explanation sounds plausible. There may be more than one cause, however, as I can't really see why left vs. right flip would make any difference in that case.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #15
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
It DEFINITELY is not because I am holding the bar too long.

It happens so often, and it is such a PITA, that I am very anal to just barely flick the bar, as quickly as possible.

Also, sometimes it happens repeatedly, as I try to go back and forth to get it to finally go the actual next page.

Also, because when this problem arises, the paragraphs always change their pagination (that is, the last paragraph (or part of it) of the last read page changes to the first paragraph of the next unread page) - Because of this change in the flow of text, I would say it is a SOFTWARE problem, related to page reflowing, and not a HARDWARE problem; so I doubt that changing the direction the bar flips would resolve the issue - and I like the direction the way it is and don't want to change it.

It is so prevalent that I have to pay attention to the page number displayed at the bottom every time I turn, so I know if it executed correctly or not. Takes some of the enjoyment out of the reading experience.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote