Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What genre do you like best?
Romance 19 22.89%
Fantasy 37 44.58%
Science Fiction 43 51.81%
Realistic Fiction 15 18.07%
Horror/thriller 12 14.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
All of the above: good plot, good characters, good writing, etc.

In mysteries (as opposed to "Thrillers," which I'm not especially fond of) I need to find hints to the resolution in the storyline, but if I can figure it out and the protagonist plods along without making progress, I lose interest.

My education and former day job were science related, so if a SF author tries to justify a plot twist or development with meaningless jargon, I'm likely to move on to the next story.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I like a plot that catches my interest and makes me think. I've read someone Larry Niven's stories about transport booths, and it kept me thinking about what would be the impact of faster and cheaper transportation. Sure, maybe his transport booths aren't realistic, but you can use them to think about trends in transportation technology. It used to be that shipping goods across the world took months or even years. When people emmigrated, they very often said goodby to their family forever. Now, coming over for a visit is very possible.

I like believable characters - an "awesome" character isn't as interesting a character. Such as a character with 3 Ph.D's, 10th degree black belts in multiple styles, an ace pilot, international financier, famous inventor and 5-star chef. The character who can do everything is dull.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I like fantasy best.

A good storytelling makes a good book for me.
It basically comes down to how interesting and innovative story is and whether is makes me flip pages going: What happens next!!!!!!
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Strong characterization. I want to be able to believe that at least three characters in the book could be real people in the setting of the book and the main character should have at least one admirable quality and relate somewhat to others even if evil.

Generally I prefer a fair amount of dialogue as well and a plot that goes somewhere eventually .
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
eti.mar
eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Cybook Opus
There are 3 ingredients that make a good book : the story, the story and the story...
eti.mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eti.mar View Post
There are 3 ingredients that make a good book : the story, the story and the story...
I disagree. I need engaging characters, preferably in a strongly character-driven plot. Good characters and good dialog can paper over a weaker plotline and still leave an enjoyable book. Not necessarily a great one, but then, that wasn't the question.

I have other critereia for what makes a book worth reading, but those are unique to my requirements, and don't necessarily apply to a general statement.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #37
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eti.mar View Post
Yes, but what makes a good story?
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #38
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Good characters and good dialog can paper over a weaker plotline and still leave an enjoyable book. Not necessarily a great one, but then, that wasn't the question.
I'm with you. If the writing is good and the characters believable and engaging, the book can be an excellent read even with a totally defective storyline. Actually the characters don't need to be believable either; just engaging will do nicely. Of course, the worse the story is and the less believable the characters are, the better the writing has to be in order to compensate, until at some point no writer alive or dead could save it.

In order of importance, my requirements are:

Good writing
Well-constructed characters
Good story

As far as what makes a good story, I'm sure there are almost as many answers as there are readers.

Last edited by Istvan diVega; 03-20-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
I'm with you. If the writing is good and the characters believable and engaging, the book can be an excellent read even with a totally defective storyline. Actually the characters don't need to be believable either; just engaging will do nicely. Of course, the worse the story is and the less believable the characters are, the better the writing has to be in order to compensate, until at some point no writer alive or dead could save it.

Good writing
Good story

As far as what makes a good story, I'm sure there are almost as many answers as there are readers.
I couldn't disagree more.

Story is king. The good writing and the interesting characters serve the story.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

Good writing
Good story

Sorry for going off-topic, but I just had to interrupt to give you two thumbs-up on your choice of user-name. Without a doubt... my favorite fictional swordsman of all time.

Carry on.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #41
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I like urban fantasy - not the sword & dragon type of fantasy. It combines elements of fantasy, horror, romance and science fiction, so I didn't know how to classify it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #42
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sorry for going off-topic, but I just had to interrupt to give you two thumbs-up on your choice of user-name. Without a doubt... my favorite fictional swordsman of all time.

Carry on.
Well, colour me impressed. I was sure that book was too old and too obscure for anyone to know the name. Two upturned thumbs hereby returned in honour of your excellent memory.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #43
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I couldn't disagree more.

Story is king. The good writing and the interesting characters serve the story.
Nothing wrong with disagreement. Personally I'd be happy to read utter nonsense with no aim or direction, just as long as it was excellently written nonsense. Still, in my experience it's exceedingly rare to come across a writer who writes well, but can't do characters, stories or plots, so the question is mainly academic.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For me, a good book must be internally consistent. The story should be interesting and the writing should be appropriate to the story. Impossible or improbable devices or inventions should be kept to a minimum, and their presence taken into account in the story.

Most of all, I should enjoy reading it, and be concerned about the outcome.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Well, colour me impressed. I was sure that book was too old and too obscure for anyone to know the name. Two upturned thumbs hereby returned in honour of your excellent memory.
I'm still hoping to replace my rotting paperbacks of The Lost Prince and King Chondos' Ride (the original duology) with legitimate ebook versions some day.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, good, reading