Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
familyhandh
familyhandh began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Which laptop has the best screen to view ebook?

Hi everybody,

I want to read ebook on laptop, so Which is the best screen or best type of laptop to view ebook on it? Really a big question huh?

Best Regards.
familyhandh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think most people would say that no laptop is particularly good to read books on. Sorry - I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyhandh View Post
Hi everybody,

I want to read ebook on laptop, so Which is the best screen or best type of laptop to view ebook on it? Really a big question huh?

Best Regards.

One without a gloss screen which, unfortunately, most consumer laptops have these days. I've a couple of HP Compaq models at home - these matte screen models tend to be business oriented but are better IMO than the gloss screen with the silly gloss track pad "home" models.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had gotten a netbook, partly with the idea of its being an e-reading device. That lasted through one book, which worked okay as that one was a series of short essays; I don't know as I could read a whole novel on a computer screen though.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, in addition to the fact that many people here do not generally find laptops to be satisfactory for reading, I think we don't know enough about how you will use it to read.

That being said, I would recommend one that can be converted into a tablet. That way, you can at least hold it more like a book if you want to.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Maybe one of these netbooks? http://www.pcworld.com/article/20070..._pixel_qi.html
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
familyhandh
familyhandh began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Okie, thanks all.
I see the laptop cannot be good to read ebook on that, so I have to buy ereaders like : Sony, Kindle .... to read ebook. That's the perfect choice! Okie?
familyhandh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Okie, thanks all.
I see the laptop cannot be good to read ebook on that, so I have to buy ereaders like : Sony, Kindle .... to read ebook. That's the perfect choice! Okie?
As kjk point out, if you can get one with a Pixel Qi screen, which have an "eInk" mode, that would be best in a laptop. Not cheap though I think.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
Acton
Acton began at the beginning.

Device: None
As much as we like to write about the play-by-play of gadgetry innovation, it's a sad truth that some devices, like laptops, really haven't changed much since their debut in the 1980s. LCDs, a mainstay of all laptops since that period, are one of the most delicate and expensive pieces of hardware in the whole design. But what if you could replace LCDs with OLEDs (organic light-emitting diodes), which apparently don't need a bezel, and consume less electricity? LG has just built such a concept machine, calling it the "ebook" (apparently no one told them about other eBooks?), which is powered by an awesome bubbly blue methyl alcohol fuel instead of a regular (read: boring) lithium-ion battery. The ebook has just won a "best of the best" Red Dot Award, a German prize for industrial design, and we're already drooling over its astonishing look and potentially awesome capabilities -- we want one, like, yesterday. Ok, LG, if you can't debut this product within a year, at least see if you can strike a deal to get some product placement in the next James Bond film, so we can see it in action, dig?
Acton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
One without a gloss screen which, unfortunately, most consumer laptops have these days. I've a couple of HP Compaq models at home - these matte screen models tend to be business oriented but are better IMO than the gloss screen with the silly gloss track pad "home" models.
True that. Matte screen (or non gloss) is the best for any kind of reading. I am referring to my 19" Dell LCD monitor here, which has a matte screen too. If I keep the color mode as natural and set the contrast and brightness very low, it looks a lot like e-ink (definitely way below). I'll capture a photo and post it here in a bit.

Try asking the leptop dealers in your area for notebooks with matte/non gloss screens, you should be able to find one. And if you are successful, try using it once before buying it (after setting color mode to the most neutral/natural mode, contrast/brightness to a point where the screen is not very well lit for normal use, but comfortable for reading).

Quote:
Okie, thanks all.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
It will help if you let us know what kind of books are you planning to read on the device. Technical/Whitepapers or Fiction/Non fiction or blogs/html pages?
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
AdrianM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acton View Post
As much as we like to write about the play-by-play of gadgetry innovation, it's a sad truth that some devices, like laptops, really haven't changed much since their debut in the 1980s. LCDs, a mainstay of all laptops since that period, are one of the most delicate and expensive pieces of hardware in the whole design. But what if you could replace LCDs with OLEDs (organic light-emitting diodes), which apparently don't need a bezel, and consume less electricity? LG has just built such a concept machine, calling it the "ebook" (apparently no one told them about other eBooks?), which is powered by an awesome bubbly blue methyl alcohol fuel instead of a regular (read: boring) lithium-ion battery. The ebook has just won a "best of the best" Red Dot Award, a German prize for industrial design, and we're already drooling over its astonishing look and potentially awesome capabilities -- we want one, like, yesterday. Ok, LG, if you can't debut this product within a year, at least see if you can strike a deal to get some product placement in the next James Bond film, so we can see it in action, dig?
Hm, a little plagiarism there I think...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/02/l...n-liquid-fuel/

And yes, an OLED equipped laptop would be nice but at the moment, insanely expensive. And even so, they still wouldn't be as effective as eInk or pixel Qi screens in direct lighting.

Last edited by AdrianM; 08-31-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
If you have laptops, or netbooks, they do work, even if not the best. One plus is that they can be read in dark rooms....thats why ipad is becoming more popular. Some of the smaller netbooks, with the smaller screens do ok in the size department. I am using two at the present. An acer with an 8.9 inch screen, and an acer with a 10.1 inch screen. Both work. Still looking for a dedicated device.
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think the software that you use to read ebooks with is a major consideration (most is free) if using a laptop.
I used to read in bed on my laptop using a wireless presentation thing to turn pages (about $10) and it was ok esp if the screen was not right next to my face

Reading software should fill the whole screen when maximized on PC as it seems to me easier on eyes and less distracting.

Ereader is more comfy although not as easy to see in low lighting. Plus you can take it on the plane, bus, waiting rooms etc.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
U can read books in yr iphone big time. I do read them in my wee nokia x3. very comfortable,especially in the dark when i don't need no light to read. Ask me how And i have adjustable backlight which allows me not to f. up my eyes.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote