Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Future Borders coupons may exclude the Sony Reader (unconfirmed rumor)

We have received an anonymous tip that, starting today, Borders will specifically be excluding the Sony Reader from coupons. At this point, due to the holidays, I have not been able to reach anyone from Borders yet to confirm, deny or clarify. No word as to whether this refers to newly printed coupons, or whether existing coupons will also be excluded.

Although this is a vague and unconfirmed rumor at this point, we think that some of our readers who already plan to buy a Reader from Borders with a coupon may want to be aware of the possibility.

Thanks to our anonymous tipster, who indicated that this information was included in an internally distributed Borders document.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I was hoping to use one on Black Friday. We'll see if it works.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
There are two kinds of Borders coupons: programmed coupons, and S-key coupons. The programmed coupons have the terms and limitations hard-coded in, and the cashier just scans it. These types of coupons traditionally are the 10% for electronics ones. S-key coupons on the other hand require the cashier to directly key in the discount rate as well as exercise discretion on what items apply and what items don't apply. The 15% off for taking a phone survey is an example of a S-key coupon. The Reader, being an electronic item, is restricted to a 10% discount with this coupon, but since the terms aren't printed on it, my cashier gave me the 15% discount.

The 30% off coupon at visitborders.com (shown below) is an example of a new coupon that specifically excludes the Reader. It is also a programmed coupon, so even if you were to edit out the exclusion, the register would probably prevent it from working. I don't have inside knowledge of Border's backend system though, so I could be wrong.

jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
No more discount? That sucks. Well, it confirms the idea that www.visitborders.com is legit. I'm sorry no one else gets to benefit from the coupon--it may have been a loophole that MR members found, and Borders has now closed it. Perhaps the profit margin is thin on the Reader, or perhaps this is only a Christmas thing, like other posters have suggested. However, any other Borders coupons that discount electronics are probably still valid.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
this is one of those times when I say too much and get scared for my job....

(1) I am one of very few employees who purchased a Sony Reader. I did not use the employee discount on my purchase so perhaps I wasn't counted in the official numbers which I will not put here...but employees will no longer be eligible for discounts on Sony Readers.
(2) Future coupons will not allow discounts on the Sony Readers nor the Microsoft Zune.
(3) I don't know if any other discount will work. All I know is that being an early adopter worked out in my favor.
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
jpchan
jpchan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I used the Borders rewards program and was able to take 10% off my entire purchase.

Justin
jpchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What is "Borders" as a matter of interest? A book shop?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #8
William Moates
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
What is "Borders" as a matter of interest? A book shop?
Borders is a mega-bookstore chain in the US. Barnes & Noble is its chief competitor, followed by Books-a-Million. They spread nationwide in the 1990's, shutting down many mom-&-pop bookstores in the process. They offer a very large selection of books. Pretty much a bibliophile's dream. In the last few years, Borders has been opening stores in airports, so if you decide to hop the pond and visit The Colonies, you might first encounter them there.

As always, a more detailed explanation can be found here in Wikipedia.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks . Our main book sellers are a chain called "Waterstones" who've done a similar thing - opened stores in virtually every town and shut down most of the independents.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 AM   #10
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Thanks . Our main book sellers are a chain called "Waterstones" who've done a similar thing - opened stores in virtually every town and shut down most of the independents.
I went to charing cross yesterday and, if memory is not failing me, it seems that a previous Waterstones library has followed the inverse path: transmuting into a indpendent library called "Soho library" and including a sex shop section! It is the one next to Foyles.

I have the impression that Charing Chross has less libraries than five years before.

EDIT: I think to remember that there is a Borders along New Oxford street. But it could be a "books & co."

Last edited by arivero; 11-27-2006 at 07:46 AM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, Foyles is an enormous shop - they used to claim that they were the biggest bookshop in Britain, but I believe that Waterstones on Piccadilly is bigger now.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Got very rigid format, Foyles. Five or six years ago it was the only one not opening Saturdays in the late afternoon, now it has surrendered :-)
Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
arivero
Guru

Then we have Gibert in Paris, and of course some of their FNACs. Hmm if the Readers had some bluetooth interface, it could be sensible to put BT antennas along these shops, giving the opportunity of walking across the paperbacks but buying the e-book version as an option.

Or a barcode reader. You look at the book and if you want the e-copy, just scan the barcode of the physical book and voila, you get a 2$ e-copy downloaded into your machine.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #14
William Moates
Zealot

Aha! CueCat to the rescue!
Well, not really--we'd still need a USB adapter.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
I would like to point out that we do have Borders in the following countries:
(1) England (and Scotland). Apparently we also purchased some odd stationary boutique named Paperchase and they are responsible for supplying our stores with BLACK CHRISTMAS TREES.
(2) Ireland. May have just opened, and why do I think that people in Ireland can't just drive over to England? Oh right, body of water.
(3) Australia. New Zealand.
(4) Singapore. Malaysia
(5) Dubai.

But the coupons are not international, and I have no clue if the reader is sold internationally.
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote