Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2024, 03:02 PM   #16
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter74 View Post
I'm going to buy Paperwhite, probably used.
I'm looking for the table with comparison with models, i.e. Paperwhite 5, 7 and so on.

If you can wait for sales, Amazon often sells their own products at a much lower cost several times a year. There will be a spring sale soon, starting March 20th.

EDIT : There are no sales for any Kindle this spring. Bummer.

Last edited by deleted2; 03-20-2024 at 12:26 PM.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:52 PM   #17
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too small for comfortable reading.
Four of the six reading devices you're displaying are 6-inchers. I'm sorry you had to suffer for so many years.

Last edited by paperwhite13; 03-18-2024 at 03:54 PM.
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2024, 04:13 PM   #18
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Here is a comparison chart:

https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/kindle-comparison.html
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:13 AM   #19
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Quote:
I disagree on the PW5 being easier to scratch.
Nate at TheeBookReader.com reports similar issues to my own, with exactly the same kind of scratches after almost no use in his case, and very careful home use in mine. The scratches aren't visible when one is reading in normal conditions, but can be seen when the device is angled certain ways. https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...atches-easily/
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:55 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Nate at TheeBookReader.com reports similar issues to my own, with exactly the same kind of scratches after almost no use in his case, and very careful home use in mine.]
One acquaintance of mine who has the PW5 Signature edition is also complaining about scratches though they have kept it in a case since it was purchased. Much like Nate Hoffelder, they think the issue is from having to clean the screen often due it's love for showing fingerprints. OTOH, they use the same cleaning clothes on their glasses which are not showing any scratches suggesting the plastic layer on their PW5 is too soft.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2024, 02:43 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Perhaps headlamp scratch removal kit or non-abrasive toothpaste?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:14 AM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What the heck are people using to wipe their screens with? Sandpaper?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:14 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You only need one piece of grit or a grain of sand to get a scratch on plastic. That's why you might need a damp cloth that's not rubbed and then a disposable wipe.

Even cleaning glass lenses is fraught.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:11 AM   #24
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
The PW3 has too small a screen and that cannot be overcome. The PW5 is so much better. And the screen is much nicer too at 6.8".
6 inches are good for me. I have never needed a larger display.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:15 AM   #25
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
Here's a good comparison between PW3 and PW5. One thing that the PW3 has going for it, other than being cheaper, is that it's easier to jailbreak out of the box, in case that is factor.
Very good comparison!! Thanks
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:53 AM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You only need one piece of grit or a grain of sand to get a scratch on plastic. That's why you might need a damp cloth that's not rubbed and then a disposable wipe.

Even cleaning glass lenses is fraught.
I suppose that is the case here, but I have never had any such scratching issues, and I'm not as fastidious as I might be.

I do have the latest two Paperwhite models, do not use covers with them etc. I use same cleaning cloth or wipes I use for my eyeglasses to clean, but occasionally just use the t-shirt I'm wearing.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-20-2024 at 12:28 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:13 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
… but occasionally just use the t-shirt I'm wearing.
Probably not after lounging on the beach or playing in the sand pit.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:23 PM   #28
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
Too small for what? Given the choice between a cheaper and jailbreakable PW3 and PW5 I'd choose PW3 all over again. For comic books or complex PDFs 6.8 is also too small, and I use a larger tablet.
I still have my Paperwhite 3 and adore it, mainly due to nostalgia, it was my first, and the screen texture, it is recessed with the paper feel. When I do use it I do have to get used to how small the screen is now and the lighting is definitely subpar since I'm used to Oasis 3 and Paperwhite 5. It's a fun device but I'd only get at this point if very cheap

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 03-20-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:26 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The PW3 has too small a screen and that cannot be overcome. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Too small for everything.
Quote:
Too small for comfortable reading.
That's a matter of personal taste. I use 6" readers all the time. I have a 7.8" reader that never gets turned on (too big and clunky). If you're reading manga or PDFs, a 6" screen is too small, but so is a 6.8" screen. If you're reading standard ePubs, a 6" screen is fine.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:49 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's a matter of personal taste. I use 6" readers all the time. I have a 7.8" reader that never gets turned on (too big and clunky). If you're reading manga or PDFs, a 6" screen is too small, but so is a 6.8" screen. If you're reading standard ePubs, a 6" screen is fine.
For my tired old eyes, I use a large font size. This has me fitting as much text on the screen of an 8" Kobo Sage as my youngest fits on the 6" screen of her ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote