Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #1456
mcriki
mcriki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4GB PW2
@Niluje: i use this tool to set the cover of the book i'm reading and it's fine! but my question is: i bought a cover,and when i open the kindle it starts.
is it possible (from the device) to turn off this characteristic, or to setup a different time for the awakening?
i would like to open the cover without turn on the kindle (and without changing or modify the cover! :P) thank you!

Last edited by mcriki; 12-27-2014 at 11:39 AM.
mcriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #1457
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Turn the cover around on the Kindle.
I.E: So it opens to the right rather than to the left.
(Which puts the magnet on the "wrong" side of the Kindle.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #1458
mcriki

thank you knc1, unfortunately it's not possible to do that, because of the connectors that would be hidden. in any case i decided (not for this reason!) to change my cover,and with the next one i will not have this "problem". thank you!
Old 12-28-2014, 03:09 AM   #1459
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcriki View Post
thank you knc1, unfortunately it's not possible to do that, because of the connectors that would be hidden. - - - - -
Your description of the cover you have did not include sufficient information to rule out that suggestion.
(like, in, what description. )
Old 12-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #1460
mcriki

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your description of the cover you have did not include sufficient information to rule out that suggestion.
(like, in, what description. )
this is my cover (ForeFront cases):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
how you can see the connectors would be hidden turning the kindle inside the cover
but i love to use kindle without cover,so i preferred to send it back and to buy this one:
http://tuff-luv.com/media/catalog/pr...ry_int_1_1.jpg
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #1461
knc1
Going Viral

That first, hard cover, case looks like it would give the e-ink screen a lot more protection than the soft case.

Try putting a magnetic shunt on the inside of the case where the magnet is (approximately the lower right corner).

Magnetic shunt :: prefer soft iron sheet, but any mild steel (like from a thin, tinned, can) might do.

Does not need to be very big - just tape to inside of cover where magnet is at - experiment until the hall effect sensor doesn't trigger.
Then pretty up the tape job.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #1462
Karioshi
Karioshi began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 7th
Question Kindle 7th Screensaver

Hy!
I have Kindle 7 th Generation,Firmware 5.6.1.0.2
How can I have custom screensaver ? :/
Karioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #1463
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karioshi View Post
Hy!
I have Kindle 7 th Generation,Firmware 5.6.1.0.2
How can I have custom screensaver ? :/
The device must be "Jailbroken" -
If it was jail broken prior to the installation of 5.6.1.0.2 - the jail break can be updated and then use KUAL + the MRpackage installer KUAL add-on.

If not previously jail broken, then you have to open it up to use the serial port to jail break it.

There are a lot of posts here related to version 5.6.x firmware.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #1464
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Karioshi: if memory serves me, that's the KT2, isn't it? In which case, you're (mostly) screwed, as knc1 explained.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #1465
unb3ar
unb3ar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
ebook covers in the home screen

I'm not sure if it's already been asked, probably countless times even if I couldn't find any post about it in the forum , about the book covers displayed in the home screen. They're standardized to look uniformly the same except for the overly-impressed title of the book and author - no trace of the book cover which would be a nicer way, not necessarily better, to display the description of the book.
What I've notice for PDFs only is that you can display the book author(s) by modifying the PDF properties with an authoring tool like Adobe Acrobat, while the book title for all the formats is simply the file name.
Also Kindle doesn't display DjVU, but you can us KOreader, which in turn won't display AZW3... I guess the Collection Manager is the only way to keep track of all the ebooks at once?

Sorry for the detour, back to the main issue. How can I display the book first page, usually the cover of the book, in the thumbnails presented in the home screen? Does anybody know a place to start to hack this down once and for all? I'd be willing to invest time to make it work for everyone.

Last edited by unb3ar; 01-07-2015 at 02:17 AM.
unb3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #1466
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@unb3ar: Err, what?

I *think* I got what you were trying to say, so let's try this: How are you loading your books to the device? (FWIW, Calibre handles Homescreen thumbnails properly).

Spoiler: it has nothing to do with this (or any) hack.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 AM   #1467
unb3ar
unb3ar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
@NiLuJe: Thank you for such a quick answer! I transfer them over the USB cable, manually copying the books to the device in the documents dir. I could use SSH over Wi-Fi, but I haven't enabled wireless yet; until I'm sure I can fully control the requests Kindle is making over the wire.

With the aid of Calibre, as you suggested, only AZW3 ebook covers showed up. I've noticed the AZW3 file and related .sdr dir must be placed in a newly created dir in documents, which name must be different from the AZW3 file itself, for the cover to be displayed.

Am I missing something or I have to convert the ebooks to AZW3 to be able to see the covers of all the PDF, DjVU and epub ebooks I have?

Is there a way to show at least PDF covers in the home screen - which happens that they're supported?

How does Calibre exactly make it work? It doesn't seem to add any extra content. Does it modify the AZW3 file in such a way to allow Kindle to view the cover? I don't believe so. I found out that if you rename the dir Calibre has created before unplugging the device, the cover won't show anymore. Conversely if you first unplug the device, then reconnect it, you can rename the dir containing the AZW3 file and its .sdr to anything without compromising the display of the cover.

It's just my PW2 behaving oddly because has never been registered? Or is it a consequence of the JB? It appears, as though for a split second, the cover is sometimes displayed, but after the screen is refreshed, it's expunged...

Last edited by unb3ar; 01-07-2015 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Added more questions
unb3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #1468
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@unb3ar: Last I checked, PDF covers were a no-go. I don't read PDFs (especially not on the default reader), so I can't tell you much more than that, and I may very well be wrong .

The default reader doesn't handle anything else than AZW*/MOBI/PDF, so anything else is also a pipe dream.

On supported formats, the full crap that needs to be sideloaded for thumbnails to show up has been mentioned over and over, so I don't really feel like rehashing all this, check out the code of the Calibre Kindle driver if you're terribly curious. (spoiler: It has nothing to do with the sidecar folder, and everything to do with the thumbnails in the system folder, and doesn't involve touching the actual file at all. Spoiler bis: the Kindle framework is very finicky, playing with the metadata/sidecar stuff/thumbs of an already-catalogued file without deleting it first from the Kindle's UI will lead to frustratingly stupid behavior).
Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #1469
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Why did you rehash it then?

@unb3ar, the only thing I could add is that this applies only to files of cdetype=EBOK. The Kindle can extract thumbnails from Personal Documents on its own. (There is a stupid reason for this difference too.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #1470
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eschwartz: Because I'm currently dealing^Wplaying with a Kobo H2O, and I need to vent without hurting anyone's feelings ;p. (Short version: Actually owning one hasn't endeared me much to Kobo devices. So, yeah, the grass isn't terribly greener on the other side .).

Let's blame that on Amazon still not having released the Voyage in France . That'll make me feel better ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-07-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch