Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #1411
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
Once the JB is out (fingers crossed) I'll definitely be taking a look at the OTA blockers. Oh well, who doesn't love an ink well...
Don't hold your breath, this one is going to be tough.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #1412
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
I was a little afraid of that from some of the other posts. That'll teach me not to visit and update my JB more often. :|
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #1413
Calleja
Enthusiast
Calleja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
I was a little afraid of that from some of the other posts. That'll teach me not to visit and update my JB more often. :|
I'm on the exact same boat, I'm such a moron I wasn't even AWARE of the incoming update.

Crossing fingers for a new JB... will jailbreaking the new Kindle Voyage (if it's possible someday) also jailbreak the Paperwhite 2, or are they completely separate firmwares?

I ask because I'm sure the emphasis right now would be to jailbreak the new Kindle, so maybe it's time to consider an upgrade anyway.
Calleja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #1414
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All three 2014 models are (or can / will be) running the same software.
At least once Amazon gets all of the 2013 PW2 models updated.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #1415
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleja View Post
Or freakin' typewriter keys. I almost wish I had a Special Offers version now, at least those screensavers change regularly instead of rotating the same 10 or so stupid random images Amazon includes.
Be careful what you wish for!

http://amzn.com/myk

You can turn them back on, for free.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #1416
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleja View Post
I'm on the exact same boat, I'm such a moron I wasn't even AWARE of the incoming update.

Crossing fingers for a new JB... will jailbreaking the new Kindle Voyage (if it's possible someday) also jailbreak the Paperwhite 2, or are they completely separate firmwares?

I ask because I'm sure the emphasis right now would be to jailbreak the new Kindle, so maybe it's time to consider an upgrade anyway.
Yes, it should work on either one.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #1417
Lono
Lono began at the beginning.

My Kindle is making me hate Murakami

So I did the screensavers hack but nothing happened and then I realized I got waterstoned. Which is kind of funny since the entire reason I wanted to jailbreak my kindle was to get rid of that screensaver.

Anyway, I read a bit about the process to remove it but going by the wiki I shouldn't attempt to use USBNetworking unless I'm familiar with using Linux shell(which I'm not). So is there a way for me to remove the Waterstone screensaver without tinkering too much?
Lono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #1418
knc1
Going Viral

I think we have a KUAL button for that.
Probably part of the screensaver KUAL button set.

So now, just install KUAL -
It should auto-magically appear (the disable waterstone ss button).
Old 12-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #1419
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Do you have KUAL? There is a KUAL button that shows up on Waterstones devices, to fix this.

The KUAL extension should be automatically installed with the hack, so just add KUAL to your device and see the KUAL menu.

EDIT: Ninjaed!

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-03-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #1420
Lono
Lono began at the beginning.

It worked!
You guys have no idea how much that screensaver bugged me. What on earth where they thinking. If they are going to force their customers to use a screensaver on a device they paid for themselves, they could at least gone with something nice to look at.
Even though I'll be one of those guys who pops in, gets help and leave, I'd like to thank for an awesome forum. Really friendly and helpful vibe and superfast help.

Thanks for the help guys!
Lono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #1421
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
I assume they do it to push sales of their kindle cases. :-)
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #1422
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Updated my PW2 from 5.4.3.2 to 5.4.5.1 after updating jb (required for something I was installing from here). Loaded my packages to KUAL after installing it and MRInstaller. Items loaded were python, font hack, ss hack, rp, crp. I also installed KUAL bdl and got a positive. I also installed KUAL+, Helper+. Everything was from your snapshots.

After everything was in place I went to the screensavers to set it up. All the usual options showed up after it installed properly (it seemed). Set to cover mode and exited to test. Forgot the file "cover" so placed the file and tested again. Cover showed as it should, but was not stretched so went and set it to "stretch" and exited. Still wasn't stretched. Went back to check my setting in hack and stretch was no longer listed as an option and cover mode was no longer listed under behaviors.

Rebooted, same behavior. Options gone. Tried to uninstall and it wouldn't. Reinstalled and got cover mode and stretch back. Still didn't stretch. Went to check settings again and cover mode still there, but stretch gone again. Went back out and in again, cover mode gone again.

Sorry this tl;dr, but this is what happened. I want to uninstall and install the version I used on my testing PW2, but can't get it to fully uninstall. Ideas? Thanks.

ETA - Did another restart and cover mode back, but stretch still gone.
ETA2 - Messed with some options and stretch came back, but cover still not stretched, and once back in KUAL stretch was gone again.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-06-2014 at 11:22 AM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #1423
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pghaworth:

The options shown in KUAL are dynamic: you won't see buttons for stuff that is currently enabled, which might be confusing for mutually exclusive stuff like the stretch/keep ar stuff.
What you don't see is what's currently enabled .

Additionally, processed cover are cached, which explains why enabling stretch and looking at an already processed cover won't change a thing. There's a 'Clear Cover Cache' button in the 'ScreenSavers Tools' submenu just for that . Not that right after that you'll have to switch to a book different than the last one opened for the cover to be reprocessed.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #1424
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Thanks. I rebooted, tried different modes, different cover settings, everything, cleared cache, etc. Played a lot more and after about a half an hour I finally got it to work. Whew. It wasn't as easy as on the 5.6.1 device. I get that it's dynamic, but once switched to a different mode, cover still wouldn't come back. Also, once cover mode was selected, the options to change didn't work as they should, which is okay for me. I won't use them. That said, something feels glitchy compared to the previous install of 0.20. That install was perfect and without issue. And, any other cover mode setting with 0.21 only gave me the last screen - crop box, etc.

How do I do a full uninstall since the uninstall bin didn't seem to work (for future reference)? I think I want to install the 0.20 version. Thanks.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-06-2014 at 12:14 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #1425
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pghaworth: The switch between cover mode and cycle or last is in the 'Screen Savers Behavior'. Everything that's in 'Cover Mode Behavior' applies to cover mode only (obviously ).

A switch to or from cover mode requires a framework restart to take.

And additionally, for the 'dynamic' aspect of things to take, you have to actually let KUAL finish its refreshes, which might take more time than the refresh of the main menu if gawk isn't installed & enabled .

Not that an uninstall would change anything, but to actually do a full uninstall (wiping user content), enable the 'flag for complete uninstall' button before running the uninstaller. (Or remove the linkss folder & extension manually afterwards).

(As for a downgrade: never, ever a good idea. And in this specific instance, the KUAL extension has been untouched for quite a while, and the bit of logic in question dates back to the first few versions of the hack).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-06-2014 at 06:17 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch