Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Queen of Maps
Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Potential static issue through airport security causing screen freeze

There has just been a report on BBC Watchdog focusing on Kindle's screens freezing. But they had an interesting piece which said that people's Kindles (and presumably all ebooks) often froze soon after putting them through the X ray machine at airport security.

An expert showed how static (not the x rays) can affect the screen and cause the fatal freezing. Particularly if you take your jumper/coat off at security (causing a build up of static) and placing it on top of your ebook which is sat in the plastic tray and then gets put through the x ray machine. The combined effect is that the static can be discharged into the ebook causing the freezing.

This may be something worth bearing in mind when flying.
Queen of Maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thought this might give us some insight into the broken/frozen screen issue, but in true Watchdog style, they come up with one possibility, but no answers.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If true, may be worth worrying about in any dry air climate, such as most winters, when static discharges are most common. This failure mode deserves watching more closely!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Is that the same thing that made Anne Robinson's face freeze?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I go through airport security with my reader, it stays in my bag. I don't have to worry about x-rays and static at the same time. Also, the cover is closed when it goes through security.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Not buying it. Most screens are broken by torquing the ereader or putting pressure on the screens, both of which can happen when traveling with an ereader.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
It was already a hoax years ago.

I've listened about it when I had my Kindle Keyboard.

By the way, my Kindle went through airport scans inside a simple woman's purse inumerous times, and I never noticed nothing.

I've heard other positive reports, and not one real person report about the problem occuring.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My Kindle has been through airport security dozens of times without any problems.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
IMoL
IMoL began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle 4NT, KK (left on plane!)
I travel by air on a weekly basis and have been carrying kindles through security since early 2011 without any issues. I usually take them out of my bag and put them in the same tray as my laptop.

IMoL
IMoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Not buying it. Most screens are broken by torquing the ereader or putting pressure on the screens, both of which can happen when traveling with an ereader.
Ehh, this thread is about screens freezing:

Quote:
There has just been a report on BBC Watchdog focusing on Kindle's screens freezing. But they had an interesting piece which said that people's Kindles (and presumably all ebooks) often froze soon after putting them through the X ray machine at airport security.
That's something completely different than screens physically breaking. (But, just as annoying)
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
My Kindle has been scanned about 100 times, in and out of the bag --- most airports allow me to keep it inside, only real laptops must be taken out.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Queen of Maps
Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Queen of Maps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just to clarify what I said in the opening post as comments seem to have strayed into thinking it was blaming X rays: the Watchdog article wasn't blaming the X ray scanners themselves but blaming the combination of a jumper/coat taken off at security with lots of static electricity and being placed on an eBook and that their proximity in a confined space (i.e. the x ray machine) causing the static to zap into the eBook and affect the screen.
Queen of Maps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen freeze