Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Some of the RAM-resident linux distros like Puppy (~110MB!) and Tiny Core (11-60MB!) store the OS and standard apps in a single, bootable .iso file. Additional software packages are kept in individual files (ie, one file per application). Changes like documents and settings live in a combined user userspace savefile if you want to save state.
Sounds pretty cool. And those additional software packages are just single files, and not just hidden file packages like in OS X? If so, very cool indeed.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
True, but it makes the post-buy cleanup so much easier, and doesn't affect your desktop no matter what.
instead of having Wine in a VM, why not just use separate "Wine Bottles". Wine supports having completely separate installs, so theoretically you can keep reinstalling the same app, and not have anything mingle with any of the other installs. That way, if something gets mucked up, you just trash that bottle, and move onto the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
Sounds pretty cool. And those additional software packages are just single files, and not just hidden file packages like in OS X? If so, very cool indeed.
Yeah, on the LiveUSB distros, everything can be in the disk image. Basically, they originated as LiveCDs, but they took the disk image meant for being burned onto a CD, and placed it onto a USB drive, and set up the drive to be bootable, and point to the image. Computer loads it and treats it as if it was how it was originally designed for (on a CD).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Even if you somehow managed to purchase an ebook from Amazon without one of their devices or apps, you'd stand zero chance of converting it to ePub (unless it was already DRM-free of course). The device/app isn't only required for purchase ... any chance at removing the drm is predicated on having either a device or app installed.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I've never tried it, but I understand you can install Android on Linux. If that works, then you could install the Kindle app on the Android install.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
It's been so long since I installed the Kindle app on my various computers that I don't remember how it works...

When does one get the Kindle ID? Or whatever Amazon is calling their version of the PID... Is it during the install process, or do you get it when you sign up at Amazon and download the app? Because if it's the latter, then all you'd have to do is not install the app and then download the e-book manually from your purchase history.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
You can technically buy via the webpage, and then read using the Kindle Cloud Reader webpage. You don't really download the books, but it is better than nothing.
Cloud reader asks for permission to store data on your hard drive for offline reading, I wonder what format those files are saved in. It might be possible to take those and clean them with some Tools, similar to the K4PC.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
It's been so long since I installed the Kindle app on my various computers that I don't remember how it works...

When does one get the Kindle ID?.
You don't. As far as I know you only get an ID when you have an actual Kindle.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
You don't. As far as I know you only get an ID when you have an actual Kindle.
You only get a *visible* ID with an actual Kindle.
(Even there I'm not sure if the newer models can be made to expose it or keep it hidden.)

The Kindle apps (for android for sure, iOS I dunno) get a new and different (Hidden) ID every time you install the App.
On the PC and Mac the hidden ID can be ferreted out by DRM removal software but I don't remember if it changes with every new install. I do know upgrading the PC version in-situ doesn't lead to a new hidden ID.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-18-2012 at 03:51 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #24
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Yes, single files.

BTW, Hellmark has inspired me to look at this bottles thing in wine. I haven't really done much customizing there.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #25
realracer2
realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I just saw this post, I use the Chromium web browser on my Linux Ubuntu laptop and have the Amazon reader for it. I do not know if this is what you are looking for. I have no trouble reading Amazon books with it.
realracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #26
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I use Kindle for the Web using Puppy Linux as a live CD (no install) and the Firefox 7 pet (you have to use Firefox 7 or higher for Kindle for the web to run).

No permanent installation but the book is only available through your web browser, no file download.

And comics in the Kindle for the Web browers are terrible...as in literally unreadable since the "zoom in" function is virtually useless. But basic text only books work fine.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote