Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Reading with LED Flex Lamp or new Glo?

New here, but after reading lots of threads etc, I'm starting to question what is actually the best.. e-Reader with LED flex clip-on light or the new Glo for night reading? Standard e-Reader with Clip on LED compared to the new Glo like NOOK Glo or PW? shoot me your thoughts and opinions.. I have a friend who has the first Kindle with a Clip on LED and at night (in total darkness) it looks awesome.. as good as my Nook Glo.. if not better..

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-16-2012 at 11:15 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I prefer my m-edge eluminator LED. But I have weird contrast and after-image issues so I can't speak for normal people when it comes to night-time reading techniques.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I've used a Kindle with two different Mighty Brights (the longer version, and the travel version), the K2 with the really nice Octovo Solis light, the K3 with the Amazon lighted case, and the K Touch with the Amazon lighted case, and now, the Kindle PW.

By far, my favorite is the PW. No more moving the light to get a better lighting angle, or to keep the beam out of my eyes. I don't find the PW perfect, but I find it much improved over any of the other solutions. By far it provides the most even lighting across the entire screen.

I often wake up in the middle of the night, and find it takes an hour or two to fall back to sleep. I can spend that time staring at the ceiling, or spend it reading, and in the past I often spent it staring at the ceiling because I couldn't bear to have a light beam in my eyes. With the PW, I no longer feel that way. It takes less than a minute for my eyes to adjust to the low light level, and I never have to shift the unit to any degree so the light isn't shining directly in my eyes.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I've used a Kindle with two different Mighty Brights (the longer version, and the travel version), the K2 with the really nice Octovo Solis light, the K3 with the Amazon lighted case, and the K Touch with the Amazon lighted case, and now, the Kindle PW.

By far, my favorite is the PW. No more moving the light to get a better lighting angle, or to keep the beam out of my eyes. I don't find the PW perfect, but I find it much improved over any of the other solutions. By far it provides the most even lighting across the entire screen.

I often wake up in the middle of the night, and find it takes an hour or two to fall back to sleep. I can spend that time staring at the ceiling, or spend it reading, and in the past I often spent it staring at the ceiling because I couldn't bear to have a light beam in my eyes. With the PW, I no longer feel that way. It takes less than a minute for my eyes to adjust to the low light level, and I never have to shift the unit to any degree so the light isn't shining directly in my eyes.
Thanks for the reply.. I have KPW coming.. I have been using the Nook Glo recently and love it.. I hope the KPW has better black on white contrast..
Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I was without electricity for a week last year after our freak Halloween blizzard. I picked up a hinged LED reading light at the supermarket, and it worked just fine.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Never used a Glo or PW, but happy with my m-edge eluminator LED and previously with an el-cheapo clip on LED......no need to look for another solution currently.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Glo as soon as the thing is available here.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I was happy with my Kindle Keyboard, but I decided to try the Paperwhite knowing that I could always send it back. It's a definite keeper! The easiest-to-use light + reader combo I've tried.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
MrDoug
Banned

Still waiting on my KPW.. sheesh..
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've not tried the LED lit readers like the PW and the Glo, but I'm honestly not tempted either. I've always used a flex lamp with my Sony readers and will continue to do so. From what I've read about the new technology, it's not worth it to me to spend more money.

Even if my Sony PRS-T1 were to die suddenly, I'd just buy a T-2 and carry on. Plus I have my iPad retina, my favorite thing to read on. I love new gadgets, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've seen some actual light clip-ons that do a REALLY great job of making the screen readable. But, after playing with my Paperwhite a bit, I've determined that (for me) it's the best combo for less-than-ideal-lighting reading. It looks great in the dark.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
I was thinking of buying a glowy reader, but after reading about the NST Glowlight problems and realizing I like my rooted NST much better than a Kindle, I decided to buy a light instead. After researching a bit I settles on the Kandle II. It illuminates the whole screen of my NST. The side opposite the Kandle (usually the bottom) is just a touch darker, but I don't suppose it would be much worse than the screen irregularities I've heard about on lighted readers. The Kandle II weighs about an ounce and doesn't require any real adjustment to light the whole screen. (Link)

There's also the Kandle Flex, which looks interesting. The Kandle "I" had a bunch of problems (lots of the negative reviews on Kandle II are actually issues from the first) so I'd steer clear of that one.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I use an LED clip-on but I'll be buying a paperwhite as soon as I have the moolah for one.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have an M-edge. I've used mom's PW and while I like it, I so rarely NEED additional lighting that I just can't justify it. I have a reading lamp by my chair, so the only time I've used the M-edge is during a power out and in a couple of waiting rooms. If you regularly read in poor lighting conditions, I should think the PW would be less of a hassle (at least I hope so for my Mom's sake). The lighting adds a bit of weight to the Kindle.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got an LED gooseneck lamp on my nightstand; that works well for me.

Otherwise I just sit near to a lamp...
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote