Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
kmack
kmack has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, EBW-1150
Intro and Questions about the EB-1150

New member first post ... first a little intro.

I am a programmer and an avid amateur large format photographer. I have lots of charts, tables and 'cheat sheets' for programming, film development, bellows extentions, light readings etc.

As for e-books I download titles from Manybooks and sometimes Fictionwise. On my Zaurus I would regularly convert html and txt docs to
prc or pdb format and use fbreader to read them.

I recently bricked my Zaurus 5500 (loved that machine) and am looking for a replacement. I have narrowed it down to two, the EB 1150 and the Nokia n770/n800. I am leaning more toward the 1150 because of the larger screen (or because of my aging eyes.) The additional features of the Nokia's would be nice but judging from my past usage of the Zaurus the only features I will regularly use are the reading/indexing of documents and some light note taking (usually in the field, noting where, when how a photograph was taken.)

My indexing needs are simple, a menu that will allow me to quickly choose between, say, the SOA build file example and the Pyrocat-MC development tables and then scribble a note.

As tempting as the iRex is it is out of my price comfort range.

So a question for the 1150 users out there, will this machine allow me to use it as a quick reference in the field, darkroom and office and allow me to indulge my fondness for reading.

OS is no problem, I have ready access to Linux, Mac and (shudder) Windows boxes.

Thanks
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
New member first post ... first a little intro.

I am a programmer and an avid amateur large format photographer. I have lots of charts, tables and 'cheat sheets' for programming, film development, bellows extentions, light readings etc.

As for e-books I download titles from Manybooks and sometimes Fictionwise. On my Zaurus I would regularly convert html and txt docs to
prc or pdb format and use fbreader to read them.

I recently bricked my Zaurus 5500 (loved that machine) and am looking for a replacement. I have narrowed it down to two, the EB 1150 and the Nokia n770/n800. I am leaning more toward the 1150 because of the larger screen (or because of my aging eyes.) The additional features of the Nokia's would be nice but judging from my past usage of the Zaurus the only features I will regularly use are the reading/indexing of documents and some light note taking (usually in the field, noting where, when how a photograph was taken.)

My indexing needs are simple, a menu that will allow me to quickly choose between, say, the SOA build file example and the Pyrocat-MC development tables and then scribble a note.

As tempting as the iRex is it is out of my price comfort range.

So a question for the 1150 users out there, will this machine allow me to use it as a quick reference in the field, darkroom and office and allow me to indulge my fondness for reading.

OS is no problem, I have ready access to Linux, Mac and (shudder) Windows boxes.

Thanks
Yes, it is great for quick reference. It powers up quickly and returns to the exact page it was on. You can easily switch between 2 books with one tap. You would need to generate the reference material yourself I would assume. Download the ebook publisher application from ETI and use it. It imports files in several formats but uses html files internally which are easily hand edited. Read my site for more on the 1150.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
kmack

Thanks Dale.

I may be pulling the trigger on one soon.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
myeclectica
myeclectica began at the beginning.

Device: Many/Gemstar through Sony
KMack

Interesting question.

I also had the same quandry. I'm also in the aging eyes category too. The Nokia has a much better screen and zoom capability but I guess if it comes to a decision on which I would take the stock "sales" question and ask what you are using it for? Being an ex-Zaurus guy as well I'd lean you towards the Nokia. You put uses in your original post but here is a quick use case comparison.

+Cheaper ~$100
+More rugged
-Single purpose device
+Longer battery life
-Display is not the best

So if you beat the crap out of your stuff this is the way to go.

Nokia N800

-More expensive ~$280
-Less Rugged - I'm still apprehensive holding it and I know I'll snap off the web cam eventually
+Multipurpose device - has all sorts of stuff that you are probably aware of
-Less battery life; especially when you are surfing the web, chatting, listening to MP3's, watching videos, etc.
+Text and screen are very sharp and you can zoom to your hearts content
+You can read online when you are connected to wireless
+I put my ebooks on my own webserver and can download/read them whenever I want
+"Reference" - look it up on the Internet with the Nokia

So what do I do? I bought and use both
myeclectica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
kmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by myeclectica View Post
So what do I do? I bought and use both
I have been considering both.

I just ordered a 1150 and I am currently waiting for it to arrive. Out in the field with my camera chances are very good that I will not be near any WiFi hotspots so web access is problematic.

I have read of folks installing Apache/Tomcat on the n800. A simple personal wiki like friki should run on the n800 giving lots of options for note taking.

My plan is to see how well the 1150 works for me and waiting a bit for a used n800 or some other tablet/reader to become available at a more than reasonable price.
Advert