Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
What is it with smashwords?

I have had brilliant success on Kindle but since my book went premium on Smashwords it has hardly sold any. What do you have to do to get a sale? Do I have to go to B&N and other places to promote? Although I promote my book I always add the smashwords link too, it just seems that people with Kindles read my genre but other eBook readers don't. Does anyone else struggle with Smashwords?
Abigail Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Well, the first thing I notice is that you have no reviews on Smashwords and 41 on Amazon with a high star average. You might want to think about doing a coupon offer on there to get some Smashwords readers so you can (hopefully) get a few reviews there.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Too true about the reviews. AS a Sony user, I never look for books on Amazon.com. So I'd never see those reviews. And I've discovered that user reviews are a strong indication of whether or not I will like a book.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Reviews are probably the biggest thing. However, how the site indexes your book and how they are organized can factor into that as well. Perhaps your books comes up in more searches on Amazon than B&N. Also, I would say that buying patterns are different from site to site.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Well, the first thing I notice is that you have no reviews on Smashwords and 41 on Amazon with a high star average. You might want to think about doing a coupon offer on there to get some Smashwords readers so you can (hopefully) get a few reviews there.

Don't think that'll work. I gave away 550 copies of my first book in March and received NO reviews from those people.

Abigail, I just use Smashwords as a distribution tool, I get the odd sale on there but as a Brit it's the only place I can get on B&N etc.
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Comley View Post
Don't think that'll work. I gave away 550 copies of my first book in March and received NO reviews from those people.

Abigail, I just use Smashwords as a distribution tool, I get the odd sale on there but as a Brit it's the only place I can get on B&N etc.
Abigail and Mel:

Many people will write reviews for you if you ask them too. If you have any contact with customers (thank you e-mails) you could always ask or have a look on google for people who run review blogs, these work by a blogger writing a review for you in exchange for a copy of the book. I run one of these blogs and I'm happy to put my reviews on smashwords, and if you ask other bloggers they may do the same.

Abigail:

Your book seems right up my street so I would be happy to review it for Smashwords if you want.

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 05-24-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: more info
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Too true about the reviews. AS a Sony user, I never look for books on Amazon.com. So I'd never see those reviews. And I've discovered that user reviews are a strong indication of whether or not I will like a book.
Same here. Sony uses the reviews on Goodreads so getting some reviews there might also help.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If I purchase at Smashwords, I review at Smashwords. However, I'm not sure when I'll get to your book given the size of my TBR list so I guess that's cold comfort.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I love Smashwords, but darn, it's hard to find the books I want there. The UI just ain't good for browsing. I use it to buy books, but I usually find out about books through forums/blogs/goodreads/places not Smashwords. But reviews will help for the folks who are on the Smashwords book page already.

@Mel: 550 copies and zero reviews is not a cool ratio I think many people will leave reviews if the suggestion is planted well, e.g. the last page of the book, or a "get this book for free but please review" sort of exchange.

@Abigail: I second Tome Keeper regarding book bloggers. Many are pretty keen on posting reviews across several websites like Smashwords and Amazon to promote their own blog and establish their credibility in a niche. I'm saying this from first hand experience because I'm a book blogger/reviewer as well, and my reviews get on my blog, Goodreads, Amazon and Smashwords. Plus, they are linked to through twitter, mobileread threads, the Simon Royle indie book reviews page. Not sure how you've been utilizing book bloggers, but they can be useful in sending little waves of promotion as long as they reach an audience relevant for your book. Little waves sometimes set off bigger waves too.

Last edited by Frida Fantastic; 05-24-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
My books are free, and in the year and a half Xenolith has been offered on Smashwords I've gotten about 4,700 downloads. Just in the last ten days on Amazon, I've exceeded that. I think it has a lot to do with a massive difference in traffic, not to mention search and sort capabilities.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Assassin
Connoisseur
Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Comley View Post
I've had the same experience. Had over 700 downloads and no reviews, except from two people I know. And I have a "pleading" request at the end of all my books for reviews, to no avail. However, after giving away the 700 copies of the first book of a trilogy I am starting to see purchases of books two and three, but still no reviews.
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Assassin
Connoisseur
Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
I love Smashwords, but darn, it's hard to find the books I want there. The UI just ain't good for browsing. I use it to buy books, but I usually find out about books through forums/blogs/goodreads/places not Smashwords.
Mark Coker at Smashwords recently posted on his Site Updates that the search engine is going to get an upgrade. He is aware of the dissatisfaction of users. I had sent him a "wishlist" that ELFWRECK had posted here on another thread and he is responding.
So if you have other complaints or suggestions, let him know because he is responsive.
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Abigail and Mel:
Abigail:
Your book seems right up my street so I would be happy to review it for Smashwords if you want.
Abigail, do you have any interest in nonfiction self-help and spiritual series. If you do; let me know. Good luck!
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a general comment on ebooks and reviews. Let me ask. Why there is no interest in nonfiction? People don't like the real world...LOL. I do understand escape in fiction. Just wonder.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbanshee View Post
I love Smashwords, but darn, it's hard to find the books I want there. The UI just ain't good for browsing.
Boy Howdy, do I agree with that. They do a lot for the authors but seem to have forgotten people can't buy the books if they can't find them! They need to make it more reader/buyer friendly.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote