Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think WINE is up to snuff with USB connected devices quite yet. Most flavors of Linux should recognize your Kindle and run calibre just fine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You definitely don't need Wine. I've been using my Kindle with Linux for over a year, and on the same version of Linux that you have since November. I've never installed Wine.

Here's what you do:

Press CTRL-ALT-T to open a terminal
Type the following into the terminal (make sure you use all lower-case letters), then press Enter:
calibre

If Calibre is correctly installed, it'll start. If it doesn't start, copy and paste any error messages here and we'll try to help.

If Calibre does start, there will be a new icon on the left-hand side of the screen. If the icons aren't visible, move your mouse pointer to the left of the screen and they should appear.

Right-click on the Calibre icon (it's a set of books) and select "Keep in launcher". Now that icon will always be in that set of icons, so in future you can start Calibre by simply clicking on the link.

Once you have Calibre running, let us know if you still can't access your Kindle and we'll try to help.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
louise10
louise10 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
You are just so lovely, I will gather strength and attempt to climb Everest tomorrow. Watch this space. For now I will just drink the 'Wine'.
louise10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louise10 View Post
You are just so lovely, I will gather strength and attempt to climb Everest tomorrow. Watch this space. For now I will just drink the 'Wine'.
No problem at all. Enjoy the wine
Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
After I posted my last post, I remembered that there is another method you could use. This would have the advantage that it will use your update manager to keep Calibre up to date, so you don't have to go through the terminal every week:

Open a terminal (CTRL-ALT-T)

Copy and paste the following line into the terminal, then press enter:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/calibre

When prompted, enter your password

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install calibre
That is almost the worst advice you can give. (it will do no damage like a certain rm command )

The repositories are 6 to 8 months out of date. Period

The only way to get a current compiled version is use the Comandline install (after uninstalling any repository version). Remember the location of your Library, just in case Calibre forgets .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually, this is not a repository from one of the distributions; this is a person who keeps an up to date repository... his current release is 0.8.43 built on the 19th.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually, this is not a repository from one of the distributions; this is a person who keeps an up to date repository... his current release is 0.8.43 built on the 19th.
I used it for several months, and updates were generally only a few days behind the official release. If I was going to suggest installing from the Ubuntu repository, I'd have told the OP to use Software Centre instead of listing a bunch of arcane terminal commands
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
louise10

hey, amazing, I understood and eureka, it worked, so big thanks to you. BUT I have absolutely no idea what everyone else was talking about re calibre in subsequent messages, so I will log off, with my brain in tact, and one day I may venture into this 'mega intelligent' world again, but one final word for now - thank you. x
Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
hey, amazing, I understood and eureka, it worked, so big thanks to you. BUT I have absolutely no idea what everyone else was talking about re calibre in subsequent messages, so I will log off, with my brain in tact, and one day I may venture into this 'mega intelligent' world again, but one final word for now - thank you. x
A quick question before you go (I hope): Are you being forced to use Linux by someone else? I'm genuinely curious—and I certainly don't mean mean to offend—it's just that most people who've committed to using a Linux operating system, do so because they're a bit adventurous and know their way around a command prompt at least. I'm not trying to discourage you or anyone from using Linux (and maybe you're just beginning), but you don't come across as someone who came to Linux of their own free will... if only because you didn't immediately know what flavor you were using.

In short, I hope you're using it because you want to (on your own personal hardware). Otherwise, you should use whatever OS you're most comfortable with... regardless of what the "IT Tech In Your Life" might be strenuously suggesting.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #25
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
hey, amazing, I understood and eureka, it worked, so big thanks to you.
I'm very pleased that we were able to help. If you have any more problems or questions, feel free to ask.

Quote:
BUT I have absolutely no idea what everyone else was talking about re calibre in subsequent messages, so I will log off, with my brain in tact, and one day I may venture into this 'mega intelligent' world again, but one final word for now - thank you. x
Sorry about that - parts of this thread did turn into geeks discussing geek stuff. There's no need to understand those posts, so just ignore them.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #26
louise10

I am here under my own free will because i was on Microsoft Windows on my own PC and despite all the best security in the world I was constantly trojaned and given viral headaches and PC heartache. I was blocked, dropped, beaten, until I could take it no more, so yes, I am here of my own free will as a non-nerdy novice, but I havent laughed as much for ages reading everyones responses to my cries for help, and I may just stay linked up to give you mega cringes in future. x.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am here under my own free will because i was on Microsoft Windows on my own PC and despite all the best security in the world I was constantly trojaned and given viral headaches and PC heartache. I was blocked, dropped, beaten, until I could take it no more, so yes, I am here of my own free will as a non-nerdy novice, but I havent laughed as much for ages reading everyones responses to my cries for help, and I may just stay linked up to give you mega cringes in future. x.
Fair enough.

Tags
calibre installation